Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Notes From a First-Timer - 2015 Ford F-150 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited March 2016 in Ford
imageNotes From a First-Timer - 2015 Ford F-150 Long-Term Road Test

A fresh take on Edmunds.com's long-term 2015 Ford F-150 highlights visibility, stop-start, ride comfort and Bluetooth quality.

Read the full story here

Comments

• geezermikegeezermike Member Posts: 22
    The power of the F150 2.7 Eco-or-boost is impressive indeed. "Where's the Eco?" A 2.7 should have the potential of a lot better MPG. How about a switch for a less aggressive turbo map. I only need aggressive boost for towing, at elevation, and emergency acceleration. Maybe always on boost is the only way to make this impressively tiny motor even work. I keep wanting the 2.7, but the MPG is just too easy to beat. I got a chance to drive a 3.5 Eco-or-boost and a Ram towing on a long moving drive. The Eco-or-boost had fun effortless power with the <5k lb trailer, and was a blast to drive --- for awhile. Then the horribly embarrassingly short driving range and the nervous ride on the F-150 made me appreciate the non-exciting stable smooth ride of the Ram more and more on that trip. Hey, this was just an impression on one long drive with 2yr old trucks and nothing more. I realize there are lots of other criteria to choose from.
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    The down side of a powerful but small engine is that you always want to put your foot in it. I think this is a great engine and Ford engineering deserves a lot of credit. I'm looking to buy a truck as my next vehicle and I would get the 2.7 EB but I have one reservation. I intend to keep the truck until it just can't go anymore and I still don't know if the expensive turbochargers (not just Ford's but all) are going to make it to 200,000 miles and beyond. For me the tried and true 5.0 V8 might be the better choice for longevity.
  • ballsonchinballsonchin Member Posts: 10
    Have you priced the turbos? Why do you think they will fail? Turbo technology has come along from the late 80's.

The down side of a powerful but small engine is that you always want to put your foot in it. I think this is a great engine and Ford engineering deserves a lot of credit. I'm looking to buy a truck as my next vehicle and I would get the 2.7 EB but I have one reservation. I intend to keep the truck until it just can't go anymore and I still don't know if the expensive turbochargers (not just Ford's but all) are going to make it to 200,000 miles and beyond. For me the tried and true 5.0 V8 might be the better choice for longevity.

• ballsonchinballsonchin Member Posts: 10
    Interesting about the Bluetooth. I've had no complaints from those on the other side. After owning a 2010 Audi and a 2013 BMW this is the first vehicle that Bluetooth actually works!
  • rwinklerrwinkler Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2017
    As an owner of a 2015 Lariat (nearly loaded, 502A, etc) I will share that I waited and waited for one of the aluminum trucks. There were delays due to the factory retooling I was told and they were not readily available until the beginning of July '15 after both plants- MI and MO, were online mid June. Ironically the '15 had a short market life as a result. My local dealer is a big one. The wait paid off, the end of July '15 I got my truck as 130 or so arrived Ironically it was soon after the '16 models came out.

My previous '09 XLT V8 was an excellent truck with low mileage. The 2015 in comparison was nimble and powerful- just what I was looking for to tow a 7000# travel trailer. The old truck at times strained to pull the camper, the new one, as if it is not there- huge difference.

I would share that some of the criticisms are questionable to me. The bluetooth works quite well, instantaneous in function. The echoing mentioned has happened to me but only WHEN I had the volume too high. I had Sync in my other truck but this system works much better. The only time I find it slow as many mention is when entering addresses in navigation. It pauses between letters as if it is searching for a match. The fit and finish is excellent though they did have to make a few things right when I purchased it- a cut in the dash and a rear seat heater scorch on the leather seat from factory testing I assume. I have also finally learned how to drive an ecoboost and it is different. They are sensitive to pedal movement. I used the dash Fuel Mileage bar to train with. In other words, when accelerating, hurry up and get on with it, don't slowly accelerate. Once at cruising speed hold the pedal steady- don't pump. I have done this in city driving and raised mpg 2mpg on my average at fill ups. Do not trust any car's mpg computer. Do the calculations by hand.

As a retiring teacher, I had to buy a vehicle by need and longevity. Some mention the turbos. From what I have read, the ecoboost turbos are not high boost or added for hot rod performance. Plus, turbos are used on diesels in the same way and last a long time. I will share that I read about the condition that all companies face with the DI engines and added a twin valve catch can system. And, as far as longevity is concerned, when you start researching facts on engines, there are issues with GM and Honda engines using the cylinder deactivation- acknowledged by both manufacturers- read the report. GM considers 50K high mileage in their response so they are less concerned over the oil usage after that point. I wanted the best choice for power and mpg and, while RAM had power with the 5.7, they did not have the same towing capabilities in a configuration that gave good mpg. The diesel RAM is not a truck for towing heavier things, at least by specs (people do anything). So, I got this truck to serve as a truck. I believe that Ford has given buyers some great choices in engines, etc., but it is important to match intended usage with the truck's configuration. In this, I believe buying a truck is different. Even the comparison studies and reviews often completely ignore truck configurations when testing them and lump them together when it all makes a huge difference. A truck that has coil springs like a car tends to haul lesser loads without wallowing cannot be compared to one that can haul way more and then be compared on ride, etc., the capabilities of a truck in a comparison have to be considered as well. This was lacking in every review I read. The truck runs quiet and smooth, and I get 1mpg less city and close to 1mpg more on the highway than rated (3.5 liter). The rear doors do open hard- strong seal and the ride unloaded can get lively with only a driver on rougher roads. I think it is an excellent truck choice.