Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2016 Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• adk_nycadk_nyc Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2016
    Hi all,

New to the forum here. Would welcome some advice.

Currently in a CR-V lease with 4 payments left and looking to get into an Odyssey EX-L.

Negotiated a deal of $2K down @ $399 monthly lease payment. All fees included, including the remaining 4 payments on the CR-V.

Based on what I read in the forum here, doesn't sound like a terrible deal but:
    1) Should I negotiate further?
    2) Should I wait until I get closer to the CR-V lease end since it sounds like 2017 model will be announced soon and 2016 deals may get better?

Thanks in advance for your help!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Lots of variables here.

Biggest one is what's the selling price?

We have 2017 prices up and a few new Odyssey's are trickling in. That should help depress 2016 prices a bit.
    The quote was $32,244 (I'm in NJ) for the EX-L. But that quote does not include any of the fees (destination, doc fee, LST, etc.).
    edited December 2016
    Okay, the selling price for TMV comparison purposes then is 33,144 since you can't avoid the $900 destination fee. That's about $550 off TMV for a NJ zip ($32,691) and about 10% off MSRP ($36,950). And about $800 off invoice ($33,971).

I dunno, when I look at inventory for zip 08807, I see over 800 Odysseys, and 300 EX-Ls in stock.

Seems to me your selling price should be more like $2,000 off invoice, so $31,971. Even that's "only" 14% off MSRP. 14% off is good, but it's the end of the year, inventory is piled up and the new models are arriving.

I'm not up on lease pull forwards so I don't know how to value those payments. Assuming 4 payments of $400 that the dealer is eating, that would make up the difference in the numbers I suppose.

My gut says you are close. Maybe try to sweeten the deal another few hundred bucks?

Welcome to the forum btw.
    I misspoke earlier - the quote above does include the destination fee but not other fees (tax, doc, plates, etc).

Does that change the equation here?

Either way, I will negotiate a bit more and see where it leads.

Thanks!
    stever said:

Okay, the selling price for TMV comparison purposes then is 33,144 since you can't avoid the $900 destination fee. That's about $550 off TMV for a NJ zip ($32,691) and about 10% off MSRP ($36,950). And about $800 off invoice ($33,971).

I dunno, when I look at inventory for zip 08807, I see over 800 Odysseys, and 300 EX-Ls in stock.

Seems to me your selling price should be more like $2,000 off invoice, so $31,971. Even that's "only" 14% off MSRP. 14% off is good, but it's the end of the year, inventory is piled up and the new models are arriving.

I'm not up on lease pull forwards so I don't know how to value those payments. Assuming 4 payments of $400 that the dealer is eating, that would make up the difference in the numbers I suppose.

My gut says you are close. Maybe try to sweeten the deal another few hundred bucks?

Welcome to the forum btw.

Yeah, another $900 really helps make the deal work. Now you're looking good, taking my other assumptions at face value.
  • mycarcoolmycarcool Member Posts: 3
    Hi Stever,
    So far, the OTD I got for a 2016 Odyssey EX-L is $34849.89. The sale tax rate is 8.625%. Zip code 11720. Is this price ok to go? Or we could get a lower price on Jan. 2, 2017. This price is basically the same with what I quoted in Sep. It looks the year-end sale discount doesn't work. I sent emails to a few dealers in NY and NJ. This is the best I get so far. If purchasing in MD/DC/VA can save a lot, I may consider that option.
    edited December 2016
    Hm, so the selling price is ~$31,840 and TMV hasn't changed from $32,700.

TMV for 20001 (DC) is $31,700. Since TMV is an average, I'm still clinging to hope that you could get one for 15% off MSRP. Everyone must see your NY plates when you drive up and bump prices up a grand (my FIL lived for a while up near West Point - his property taxes were nuts).

I dunno, you can get a bus to DC for $18. B)

Depends on how much more time and energy you want to spend on this (if you wait long enough, the 2017s will be out!). Your quote isn't terrific but it is $850 below the average for your zip. And it's debatable whether you can get down to $30k in DC. So it makes sense from that standpoint. And they offer a lot of bang for the buck at either price (my brother is on his second Ody).
  • KMS_ClevelandKMS_Cleveland Member Posts: 25
    Hi Steven,
    Here is the current deal I have on a 2016 EX-L RES. What do you think? I am in Northeast Ohio (Cleveland).

MSRP $38,700.00
    Sales Price $32,803.00 (includes designation fee)
    Documentation Fee $250.00
    Tax $2,148.45
    Tag and Title $33.50
    OTD $35,234.95
    Thanks for your advice here, stever!

I asked for some more wiggle room but they didn't budge and I'm not in a rush to get out of my current lease, so no deal for now but that's just fine by me.

Look forward to seeing how others fare over the next few weeks/months and seeing what I can work out.
    stever said:

Yeah, another $900 really helps make the deal work. Now you're looking good, taking my other assumptions at face value.

edited January 2017

Hi Steven,
    Here is the current deal I have on a 2016 EX-L RES. What do you think? I am in Northeast Ohio (Cleveland).

MSRP $38,700.00
    Sales Price $32,803.00 (includes designation fee)
    Documentation Fee $250.00
    Tax $2,148.45
    Tag and Title $33.50
    OTD $35,234.95

Hi KMS, missed your post (thanks to @adk_nyc for bumping this discussion back up the list).

Your quote is well below TMV and invoice and is ~15% off MSRP. Good price!

adk_nyc said:

Thanks for your advice here, stever!

I asked for some more wiggle room but they didn't budge and I'm not in a rush to get out of my current lease, so no deal for now but that's just fine by me.

Look forward to seeing how others fare over the next few weeks/months and seeing what I can work out.

stever said:

Time is on your side; look forward to seeing you on the 2017 discussion in a couple of months or so.
  • empty77empty77 Member Posts: 1
    Stever, greetings from down the road in El Paso. Just got back from Rudolph Honda and offered $30500 for a 16' EX-L no RES/Nav, lowest they would go was 33500. We walked away and are wondering what next? Will the 17's arrival change much down here? They had 9 EX-Ls on the lot.
  • springbokspringbok Member Posts: 13
    Just to update the forum, on new years day we went to Pompano Honda in Broward county FL, and were offered a good price for an EX-L base of roughly $30400 before taxes and fees, OTD before tag fees was $33200 however to compensate they were offering me a very low trade in for the same 2009 Odyssey and I had to walk away from the deal.
  • krishkrish Member Posts: 24
    Charlotte, NC area.
    In market for EX-L.

Used Costco and Sams auto buying program, received (online) quote for $31,471 + dealer fee+tags+tax on Costco program.
    $39 more than TMV.

Is this a good price or can I walk in to dealership to negotiate for better price ?
  • llie19llie19 Member Posts: 18
    Finished buying 2016 EX-L (no nav no RES) yesterday, in the greater DC area. Breakdown:
    Selling price: 30,312
    Processing charge: 300
    Tire recycling fee:4
    Tax (MD 6%), title, tag, security of interest:2184
    OTD: 32,800

We got quotes from several dealers by emailing. The second best OTD quote I got was 33,350, but I may have been able to slash a few hundred more had we gone in for a visit. We ended up buying at the same dealer where I bought an Accord 2.5 years ago.

The dealers I came into contact with said the 2016 models are running out, and they are not getting any more of them. The 2017 models are arriving soon, they will be the same as the 2016 model (The new generation debuted in Detroit will be sold as 2018), but discounts may not be given for a while. The color options are limited too, we got the color we want through dealer swap, which put about 40 miles on odometer.
    llie19 said:

Finished buying 2016 EX-L (no nav no RES) yesterday, in the greater DC area. Breakdown:

We got quotes from several dealers by emailing. The second best OTD quote I got was 33,350, but I may have been able to slash a few hundred more had we gone in for a visit. We ended up buying at the same dealer where I bought an Accord 2.5 years ago.

The dealers I came into contact with said the 2016 models are running out, and they are not getting any more of them. The 2017 models are arriving soon, they will be the same as the 2016 model (The new generation debuted in Detroit will be sold as 2018), but discounts may not be given for a while. The color options are limited too, we got the color we want through dealer swap, which put about 40 miles on odometer.

Did you ask for 0.9% Honda financing?
    Yes I got the 0.9% rate, with 0 down. I forgot to mention something really important: after they approved me for the rate, the monthly payment I was given is higher than what I calculated myself (there are many sites you can do that on), so I asked about it. Turns out you need to make a so called "gap" payment to Honda financial if you make 0 down payment, so that in the event the car gets totaled and the insurance company only pays the value of the car at the time of the accident, Honda America can still recuperate the remaining value on the car that you haven't paid yet (I admit that I have yet to fully grasp the concept of it, but what matters is that they want extra money on top of the agreed OTD price, a real alarm). This information was not given to me upfront. I pushed the finance person to ask more about this, and said we are willing to put some money down to eliminate the "gap" payment. After discussing with someone at Honda financial, they removed this requirement without needing any down payment. I will make sure when I make my first payment, the number matches what I calculated it to be.

Just goes to show just because you verbally agreed on OTD price with the dealer does not mean you can put your guard down for the rest of the transaction. You must do your own numbers each step of the way to know you are not tricked here or there.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    @llie19 Congrats on the new minivan!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

llie19 said:

Yes I got the 0.9% rate, with 0 down. I forgot to mention something really important: after they approved me for the rate, the monthly payment I was given is higher than what I calculated myself (there are many sites you can do that on), so I asked about it. Turns out you need to make a so called "gap" payment to Honda financial if you make 0 down payment, so that in the event the car gets totaled and the insurance company only pays the value of the car at the time of the accident, Honda America can still recuperate the remaining value on the car that you haven't paid yet (I admit that I have yet to fully grasp the concept of it, but what matters is that they want extra money on top of the agreed OTD price, a real alarm). This information was not given to me upfront. I pushed the finance person to ask more about this, and said we are willing to put some money down to eliminate the "gap" payment. After discussing with someone at Honda financial, they removed this requirement without needing any down payment. I will make sure when I make my first payment, the number matches what I calculated it to be.

Just goes to show just because you verbally agreed on OTD price with the dealer does not mean you can put your guard down for the rest of the transaction. You must do your own numbers each step of the way to know you are not tricked here or there.

Thanks for the heads up about gap insurance.

Congrats on your new van.
    llie19 said:

If you don't mind, can you please let me know how much did they charge for "gap insurance" ?
    They did not show me the gap number explicitly. I only recall the monthly payment difference from my calculation was in the $20s, so that's over $1,200 over 60 months you are over-paying. This number may differ depending on the person's credit score and credit history with Honda financial is he has one. But I would definitely avoid paying it even if that means I have put down a few thousand dollars at the time of purchase.
    llie19 said:

They did not show me the gap number explicitly. I only recall the monthly payment difference from my calculation was in the $20s, so that's over $1,200 over 60 months you are over-paying. This number may differ depending on the person's credit score and credit history with Honda financial is he has one. But I would definitely avoid paying it even if that means I have put down a few thousand dollars at the time of purchase.

It sounds to me like they tried to sell you an optional GAP insurance policy. There is no requirement to buy GAP insurance, even on a ZERO down loan.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

llie19 said:

It sounds to me like they tried to sell you an optional GAP insurance policy. There is no requirement to buy GAP insurance, even on a ZERO down loan.
    That very well could be. The finance person said I was approved for 0.9%, so I asked how much for monthly payment, and found the number she gave me higher than my own calculation. I questioned that and she explained the gap thing. It's possible that she would have brought it up.naturally without me asking and made me aware of it.However, she was discussing with someone at Honda financial to see if the gap requirement could be removed (that's what she told me she was doing while she was typing, no phone call), making it sound like whether requiring this payment or not was Honda's decision, and I had to accept it if they insisted that I had to pay this gap. If fact I was prepared to make a down payment if they told me gap is required without a minimum down payment of some amount..
    Purchased 2016 EX-L (no packages) for $31,300 + tags + dealer fees + tax, OTD $33,184 in Charlotte, NC.
    Dealer threw in all weather mats, cargo tray, splash guard, wheel locks, window tint, 3M package, protection paint finish. I know few are just rip off,
    0.9% finance from Honda with $0 down.

Did I pay more ?
    krish said:

Purchased 2016 EX-L (no packages) for $31,300 + tags + dealer fees + tax, OTD $33,184 in Charlotte, NC.
    Dealer threw in all weather mats, cargo tray, splash guard, wheel locks, window tint, 3M package, protection paint finish. I know few are just rip off,
    0.9% finance from Honda with $0 down.

Did I pay more ?

I can't comment on the pricing, but it doesn't look half bad given what I have read and heard during my buying experience. I am considering buying all weather floor mats and cargo tray, maybe after market products if they are cheaper. I do think they are worth something your car is prone to getting dirty. Does anyone have any suggestions?
  • luckypraluckypra Member Posts: 2
    llie19 said:

Here in NJ, I got 31350 with dest as best price. Would you mind sharing dealer detail? I might travel and pick there if they offer same price it will save around 700-800, might be worth effort for extra saving.
    edited January 2017
    luckypra said:

llie19 said:

Here in NJ, I got 31350 with dest as best price. Would you mind sharing dealer detail? I might travel and pick there if they offer same price it will save around 700-800, might be worth effort for extra saving.
    Even in NC, I could not able to get closer to this price ($30,312). I believe DC/Virginia has rebate value more than NC.
  • scdgoofyscdgoofy Member Posts: 40
    edited January 2017
    Just wrapped up a lease in Los Angeles. It is a 2016 EX-L with 12k miles per year and 36 months. MSRP was $37,100, cap cost was $31,982. Drive off was $822 (no cap cost reduction). Monthly before tax is $356.88. With LA County tax (9%), my monthly is $389.00.

MF and residual were same as provided by Edmunds moderator - 0.0003 and 53%.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,976
    scdgoofy said:

Just wrapped up a lease in Los Angeles. It is a 2016 EX-L with 12k miles per year and 36 months. MSRP was $37,100, cap cost was $31,982. Drive off was $822 (no cap cost reduction). Monthly before tax is $356.88. With LA County tax (9%), my monthly is $389.00.

MF and residual were same as provided by Edmunds moderator - 0.0003 and 53%.

Congrats! Enjoy the new Odyssey.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• sevenfiguresevenfigure Member Posts: 1
    We bought the 2016 Honda Odyssey EX-L in Modern Steel Metallic in Northern, NJ. I got online quotes and then went into the dealership. The first dealer sent me a quote for $32,772. The "Sales Manager" laughed at me and didn't counter my offer. I went to the second dealer on Monday and their online quote was $31,658. The online sales person didn't mention that they didn't have my color. The Sales Manager was willing to get the color we wanted but didn't want to negotiate the price to $31,000.

I sent emails to both dealers yesterday. Told the second dealer, that I am still interested and to let me know, when the price is $31,000 and they have my color. I sent copy of the second dealers quote to the first dealer.

Sales Manager from the first dealership called me and left me a vm. When I called back he didn't apologize for his behavior on Sat but I did remind him that it was rude of him and not tell me directly that he wasn't going to counter. All of sudden, they were going to match the second quote and take of an extra $250. Their new quote was $31,350 vs $32,772 on Sat. I told him that I was willing to pay $31,000. They got back and said there is no more room for negotiation and they were taking a loss. I went to the dealership with the family at night and try to take off the $350 but I wasn't successful. I was willing to walk away but my wife, who is 9 months pregnant didn't want to go back and forth again. So I agreed to the deal and also helped that they had the color we wanted.

When I first started to look at the car in November 2016, the quotes that I received were between $34,500-$32,150.

We were already pre-approved by Honda Finance and wanted the 60% months at 0.9%. They came back and wanted to offer us something like, 60% months at 4%-5%. I told them that it wasn't going to work and the General Manger said he will do the 60% months at 0.9%. Off course the Finance Manager wanted to sell these other things but we refused it all.

I had to keep reminding them that I was an educated consumer and stop wasting my time. I didn't need the car but I wouldn't mind having it. GM was curious to know my occupation. Didn't know, if he admired my preparedness and negation skills. :-) It did help that I work at a Investment Counsel Firm and did some research.

Final Numbers:

$31,350 (Car Price)
    $2,155.31 (NJ Sales Tax at 6.875%)
    $374.95 (DMV and other NJ Fees)
    $349 (Document Fees)

Congrats on the new Odyssey!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

We bought the 2016 Honda Odyssey EX-L in Modern Steel Metallic in Northern, NJ. I got online quotes and then went into the dealership. The first dealer sent me a quote for $32,772. The "Sales Manager" laughed at me and didn't counter my offer. I went to the second dealer on Monday and their online quote was $31,658. The online sales person didn't mention that they didn't have my color. The Sales Manager was willing to get the color we wanted but didn't want to negotiate the price to $31,000.

I sent emails to both dealers yesterday. Told the second dealer, that I am still interested and to let me know, when the price is $31,000 and they have my color. I sent copy of the second dealers quote to the first dealer.

Sales Manager from the first dealership called me and left me a vm. When I called back he didn't apologize for his behavior on Sat but I did remind him that it was rude of him and not tell me directly that he wasn't going to counter. All of sudden, they were going to match the second quote and take of an extra $250. Their new quote was $31,350 vs $32,772 on Sat. I told him that I was willing to pay $31,000. They got back and said there is no more room for negotiation and they were taking a loss. I went to the dealership with the family at night and try to take off the $350 but I wasn't successful. I was willing to walk away but my wife, who is 9 months pregnant didn't want to go back and forth again. So I agreed to the deal and also helped that they had the color we wanted.

When I first started to look at the car in November 2016, the quotes that I received were between $34,500-$32,150.

We were already pre-approved by Honda Finance and wanted the 60% months at 0.9%. They came back and wanted to offer us something like, 60% months at 4%-5%. I told them that it wasn't going to work and the General Manger said he will do the 60% months at 0.9%. Off course the Finance Manager wanted to sell these other things but we refused it all.

I had to keep reminding them that I was an educated consumer and stop wasting my time. I didn't need the car but I wouldn't mind having it. GM was curious to know my occupation. Didn't know, if he admired my preparedness and negation skills. :-) It did help that I work at a Investment Counsel Firm and did some research.

Final Numbers:

$31,350 (Car Price)
    $2,155.31 (NJ Sales Tax at 6.875%)
    $374.95 (DMV and other NJ Fees)
    $349 (Document Fees)

congrats on the car and baby! sounds like you reached the dealers' bottom line through back and forth bidding. don't let them fool you on the financing rate, i believe it has nothing to do with the sales price and is solely a decision made by honda financial (if you finance through them of course) based on your credit.
  • wjfam1020wjfam1020 Member Posts: 8
    Hello group. Going to try to snag a 2016 Odyssey Touring and was wondering if you had Feb lease numbers for Denver for 36 month 12k MF and residual to include any factory to dealer cash. Thanks in advance.
    wjfam1020 said:

Hello group. Going to try to snag a 2016 Odyssey Touring and was wondering if you had Feb lease numbers for Denver for 36 month 12k MF and residual to include any factory to dealer cash. Thanks in advance.

.00030 MF and 48% residual.
    $1450 lease cash.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• wjfam1020wjfam1020 Member Posts: 8
    Thank you. Will let you know.
  • evincedeevincede Member Posts: 4
    Does .00030 MF and 48% residual applies to San Francisco Bay Area also? Thanks...
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,976
    evincede said:

Does .00030 MF and 48% residual applies to San Francisco Bay Area also? Thanks...

Yes, the Honda lease numbers are national.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• njmom44njmom44 Member Posts: 2
    We live in NJ and Are looking to purchase a 2016 odyssey lx for cash.  We've been soliciting prices from a number of dealerships. We have been looking at the base models with MSRP of 30,450. I just got an offer of 23,726.  We would need to add on 500 doc fee, 900 destination fee, tax, and registration fees so 25,126 plus tax and reg.  Trying to decide if we should buy or if we can realistically get it for less elsewhere.  Thanks

• odyssey_bay9odyssey_bay9 Member Posts: 4
    Good Evening All,
    I am planning to buy a 2016 Honda Odyssey EX-L (No Navigation, No Rear Entertainment System)
    The dealer near by quoted 30,788 (offered to take $300 off if I get financing through Honda)...

I would like to get your thoughts on this deal - and any negotiation I can do on this...or any add-ons I can ask for?

Thank you in advance for your kind inputs...
  • NathanCrumbackNathanCrumback Administrator Posts: 508

Good Evening All,
    I am planning to buy a 2016 Honda Odyssey EX-L (No Navigation, No Rear Entertainment System)
    The dealer near by quoted 30,788 (offered to take $300 off if I get financing through Honda)...

I would like to get your thoughts on this deal - and any negotiation I can do on this...or any add-ons I can ask for?

Good morning, what is your zip code?
    Edmunds Moderator

Good Evening All,

Good morning, what is your zip code?
    Thanks, I'm seeing an average sales price of $32,110 in your region and there's an available $1,650 dealer cash . That would put it around $30,460. So, if you finance it then pay it off the first month I think you got yourself a great deal (assuming they take that $300 off). Either way, I think it's a pretty good deal. I would go for it at that price. I don't think they have too much room to move after that.
    Edmunds Moderator
    I would try to leverage some free oil changes and tire rotations if they don't want to budge on the price more. This might save you some extra money down the road and the dealerships love to have you in their service department (hoping you use them for all your service needs).
    Edmunds Moderator

I would try to leverage some free oil changes and tire rotations if they don't want to budge on the price more. This might save you some extra money down the road and the dealerships love to have you in their service department (hoping you use them for all your service needs).

Thanks a lot for your kind inputs, Nathan. I am now trying to find the color of my choice by talking to other dealers close by...but I'll certainly will try to ask for some goodies...

Thanks again.
    You're welcome! Let us know how it goes
    Edmunds Moderator

Thanks, I'm seeing an average sales price of $32,110 in your region and there's an available $1,650 dealer cash . That would put it around $30,460. So, if you finance it then pay it off the first month I think you got yourself a great deal (assuming they take that $300 off). Either way, I think it's a pretty good deal. I would go for it at that price. I don't think they have too much room to move after that.

Hi, I missed this part about "financing and paying it off in a month or so" -- what if I'm planning to finance it anyway? The answer would still be the same, wouldn't it be?

The reason I'm posing this obvious question is - I want to make sure I didn't misunderstand your Advice.
    Oh, sorry! Same thing applies. I must have misread the post by assuming you were going to pay cash but the advice still applies.

Edmunds Moderator
  • dudette3dudette3 Member Posts: 45
    Hi! I am looking for a 2016 Honda Odyssey LX for my family. What is the going price currently? Is $25k plus ttl reasonable?