Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Should You Lease or Buy Your Car?

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited March 2017 in General
imageShould You Lease or Buy Your Car?

Weigh the pros and cons of leasing vs. buying a car to make the right choice when you finance your next vehicle.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ffactoryxxffactoryxx Member Posts: 7
    Yea they seemed kind of high. Both cars are fully loaded however.

The big thing was the MSD program putting money in as a security deposit which would lesson the MF.

The more I think about it, is it even worth it to lease these things or save so i can buy?
  • cheated49cheated49 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2015
    Leasing is not always the lowest cost over buying. Lease costs can vary dealer to dealer. Many times you cannot get out of a lease without a penalty. I.E. If you suffer financial hardship; if after signing the papers you decide you would like a lower payment. Watch for financial companies needs before you sign. In other words, make them give you, for example, a written need for insurance coverage. Make sure the dealer shows you. Otherwise, you can sign the papers thinking your insurance is all set, only to have the finance company come back and claim you need more coverage. A higher cost out of your pocket. Research the true value of the vehicle you're looking for. Unfortunately, a lot of sales staff, hear your needs, understand your needs and try to "sell" you a higher priced vehicle than you intended!!
  • micevansmicevans Member Posts: 6
    I believe that leasing is better because you have the opportunity to find great deals that fit to your budget!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    There are other factors to consider though, in a lease. You have restrictions on what modifications you can do and the miles you can accrue; also you have to return the car pretty much as you got it, with say tires of the same type that are serviceable, and with no excessive damage of any kind. Also, you are locked into a lease, and they aren't easy to bail out of if you have to.
    Yes of course you have restrictions on modifications but I believe that every person has a different point of view ;) There are people that have absolutely no problem with that and other that would like to modify the car at their convenience.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well of course...but you'd be surprised how many people jump into leasing without considering those things.
    hm.. yes.. this is true..that's why we should post articles like this one so people are not confused..
  • drivingdavedrivingdave Member Posts: 9
    For me personally I prefer to buy because I keep my car until dies. I love cars but I have only purchased 3 in my life. And because they depreciate so quickly I buy used. Leasing I think works well if you like having a new car every few years
  • wintersunwintersun Member Posts: 1
    Leasing only makes financial sense if one has a business and the GVWR of the vehicle is less than 6001 lbs and so does not qualify for Section 179 and so takes 11 years to fully write off the cost to buy the vehicle. With a lease the monthly payments are 100% tax deductible for a business on day one. For a private party the depreciation of 30% in the first 3 years of ownership with a new vehicle make it a dumb move to do this whether buying outright, financing the purchase, or leasing the vehicle.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,011
    wintersun said:

Leasing only makes financial sense if one has a business and the GVWR of the vehicle is less than 6001 lbs and so does not qualify for Section 179 and so takes 11 years to fully write off the cost to buy the vehicle. With a lease the monthly payments are 100% tax deductible for a business on day one. For a private party the depreciation of 30% in the first 3 years of ownership with a new vehicle make it a dumb move to do this whether buying outright, financing the purchase, or leasing the vehicle.

I've leased plenty of vehicles.

I like the fixed investment, always having a car under warranty, and being able to swap out for something new every 3 years.

Leasing is just an alternative to traditional financing.

If you keep your car forever, leasing does not make sense - we are buying my wife's Outback, which has 32,000 miles on it after 4 years. Will have less than 50K when it's paid off, and we already have about $6000 in positive equity in it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• captartycaptarty Member Posts: 1
    Buying and keeping the car for as long as it serves as transportation.
  • beepajbeepaj Member Posts: 2
    How about older folks...leasing looks like a good option
  • pmw786pmw786 Member Posts: 9
    I’m in the market to purchase a home and begin a mortgage. Will leasing a car and having a hard pull on my credit as well as having a monthly payment for the next three years negatively affect the affordability or interest rates in purchasing a home? Should I buy a car instead if I’m able to to avoid having issues in purchasing a home?
    pmw786 said:

I’m in the market to purchase a home and begin a mortgage. Will leasing a car and having a hard pull on my credit as well as having a monthly payment for the next three years negatively affect the affordability or interest rates in purchasing a home? Should I buy a car instead if I’m able to to avoid having issues in purchasing a home?

A loan is a lease is a mark on your credit.

If you can defer the loan or lease until after you close, that would be the best.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• becausecarbecausecar Member Posts: 9
    In my opinion, the big problem that I see in a lease is if you would have an accident.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,777

In my opinion, the big problem that I see in a lease is if you would have an accident.

That's the good part. You file an insurance claim and get it fixed properly, and when the lease is up, it is the bank's problem.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• anapd57anapd57 Member Posts: 1
    My dad is 96 years old. His car gets driven at an average of 25 miles a month. He wants a new car, should he lease or buy. Financially he can pay cash for a new car. I don't know if buying a new car is the best choice considering the probability of the lord taking him in the next 2 to 3 years high.
    anapd57 said:

My dad is 96 years old. His car gets driven at an average of 25 miles a month. He wants a new car, should he lease or buy. Financially he can pay cash for a new car. I don't know if buying a new car is the best choice considering the probability of the lord taking him in the next 2 to 3 years high.

What does he drive, currently?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    anapd57 said:

One thing to remember is that a lease must be paid even if the lessor passes away just like a car loan. I’ve read stories of older people leaving heirs with the balance of payments. Consider some sort of loan life insurance.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,777
    anapd57 said:

At 300 miles/year, he doesn't need a new car. He might need a different car, but buying a new car seems like a waste.

But, at only 300 miles/year, it would be silly to pay for the 10K/miles per year that a low mileage lease provides. Let him pay cash for whatever he buys, then sell it when the time comes.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934
    Agree with the above. A lease is about buying miles. A new car is about warranty and peace of mind. He should buy a Nice, used example of something that will make him happy.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Yeah...buy something he wants and when the inevitable happens, it will be simpler to just put it on the market. Doable with a lease, but there’s a very good chance someone is going to have to add some dollars to buy out the lease, which can come with a hefty price.

I agree with sticking with something he wants. Better yet, show him how to UBER! Way easier, and much less expensive, plus he will probably like the door-to-door service.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • MIGUY_2MIGUY_2 Member Posts: 3
    I think that you kind of don't really know how to do math and I could easily do way better if you just let me do my math so stop interrupting me okay dood come onnnnnnnnnnnnn bro