Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Decision on used Odyssey

sammyreidsammyreid Member Posts: 5
edited September 2016 in Honda
Hi - I have a choice of 2 Odysseys. A 2012 EX-L with RES 127,000 miles and a 2014 EX-L. The 2012 seems to be in better condition, but the 2014 seems to be a better deal. With my trade in, I can get the 2012 for 14,000, or the 2014 for 16,000. Can someone out there give me some guidance on this big decision? Thanks

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    What's the miles on the 2014?

What makes the '12 "in better condition"?

What do you know about each vehicle's service history?
  • sammyreidsammyreid Member Posts: 5
    Miles on the 2014 is 127,000. The glass on the instrument cluster has a little haze on it like they cleaned it with an inappropriate substance, and there are a couple of ripples on the passenger door. Clean carfax 1 owner with 15 service records.
    Also, the 2012 was in an accident with front damage, but no airbag deployment. There are 21 service records on it, and it is also a 1 owner vehicle. Thanks
    So both vehicles have 127,000 miles?

Sorry, the 2012 has 133,000 and the 14 has 127,000
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited September 2016
    Kind of a go with your gut choice and your gut is telling you to get the 2012.

You can appraise both of them at this link to see how the prices compare to the "book" value. A quick glance, using "clean" condition indicates that both are cheaper than book price.

Might be cheap insurance to get a pre-purchase inspection on the one you decide on.
    You got a VIN for that 2012?
    Yes, VIN for the 2012 is 5FNRL5H61CB115071. Leaning toward the 14 now just for the newness of it, but I really can't decide. The 2014 seems to be the slightly better deal, but I think either is a pretty good deal.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,062
    They are both late model cars with 127K+ miles. Don't let the model year make your decision for you.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

No clear winner here. As kyfdx says, they are kind of same-o, same-o, at least on paper.
  • dave_dudedave_dude Member Posts: 14
    Not to me. The mere fact the 2012 model was in a wreck tells me it may have far more problems than the seller is letting on about. Any vehicle that was in a wreck or has a wrecked title I'd run far far away from.
    I think with that age and that mileage, any accident report is pretty much over the hill. After all, it's been 5 years and about 3/4 of the car's statistical life span is already over.

He did imply that the 2014 wasn't quite up to stuff in condition, and that to me is more troubling on a newer car.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    dave_dude said:

Not to me. The mere fact the 2012 model was in a wreck tells me it may have far more problems than the seller is letting on about. Any vehicle that was in a wreck or has a wrecked title I'd run far far away from.

Sometimes "a wreck" amounted to a bumper cover that had to be replaced after someone backed into the car or it could be much worse. If properly repaired it should be fine.

Lots of miles on both of them!
    It's amazing how easily cars are totaled out by insurance these days. They are really not interested in getting into the repair business. If you sideswipe, say, a $10K van, it's probably a salvage.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    One of the reasons is because of unknown damage that can't be spotted until everything has been taken apart. Then the Ins. company knows what they are going to have to pay for a three week rental car etc. Often, it's a safer bet for them to just total out the car.
  • drivingdavedrivingdave Member Posts: 9
    Both of those seem to have a lot of miles. I generally try to go with the newest with the lowest miles. And I definitely stay away from cars that have been in accidents unless they are from a very reputable, trusted sellar. You just never know what they aren't telling you.