Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

General Motors Fans

Comments

• js06gvjs06gv Member Posts: 456
    berri said:

Has GM improved on the vibration with its stop start?

We have '14 & '15 Malibus at work. I mostly drive the '14, but IMO the whole start/stop process and resulting vibrations are awful and far from seamless. The first time my wife was riding with me and the car shut down and then back on again she really thought there was something wrong with it. I also don't have any other cars to compare it to as I've only experienced it in the Chevys, but we'll soon have a '17 Malibu at the office so I'll check that one out to see if it has improved.

2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Kia Optima SX, 2013 Ford F-150 King Ranch, 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    Our cars come with two stickers- one affixed on the car and one that comes with the rest of the vehicle documents. We laminate the window sticker for those who want to hang on to them(like me).

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

I don't have anything to compare it to, but I can tell it when it's happening. Shifty said he thought it was smoother than his friend's Benz, but I wouldn't know anything about that.

It's "there"' but it's not THERE---so I suspect in a few days you won't even notice it anymore, unless you obsess on it B)
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,056
    RE.: Window stickers--matter-of-fact, today it was 35 years ago that I bought my first NEW car, an '81 Monte Carlo V8 in dark jade over light jade two-tone, intermittent wipers, positraction, tilt wheel, FM radio...and no A/C (by choice)! I was 22 1/2. I remember as plain as day that the bottom of the sticker was $8,192.00. I traded in my college graduation present, my parents' old bright red '77 Impala coupe, 57K miles; got $3,100-odd for it.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    That's still one area body on frame excels. My previous BOF SUVs and my current Ram seem quieter in regards to road noise than any car I've been in lately (Including the new Impala I rented, though I still would qualify it as quiet).

OTOH, pickups have the aerodynamics of a brick, so wind noise can be more of an issue at high speeds.

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    edited January 2017
    Shifty, I've had several rentals of that gen Chevy stop start, including a longer term one, while I might get used to the stop start itself, the accompanying vibration was very bothersome. Not ready for prime time and I don't think I'd personally want it on a car I owned. But I haven't driven a latter year 16, or 17, so maybe it improved? Haven't experienced that feature on any other vehicle so I can't really compare it to how the competitors versions operate. I'd suspect it would be similar.
    It's interesting. What bothered me was not the vibration, but that I'd notice the car suddenly going silent. It's like the joke about how you jump up when the dog STOPS barking....
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    I hardly notice it on my 2er; if I do detect anything it's the silence like you mentioned.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194

It's still on the dealer's site, here:

http://www.serpentinitallmadge.com/vehicle-inventory.php?task=enlarge_image&id=617&title=2017

Also on my Facebook page.

I don't know how to post pics here and aren't inclined to learn, LOL. I'm a low-tech guy, have a flip phone, and am constantly learning and unlearning new technology at work, so that when I want to relax, I want things simple. :)

...yet 9000 posts, lol!

I don't have anything to compare it to, but I can tell it when it's happening. Shifty said he thought it was smoother than his friend's Benz, but I wouldn't know anything about that.

Gotta be smoother than a BMW I rented a year or so ago.
    js06gv said:

berri said:

Has GM improved on the vibration with its stop start?

We have '14 & '15 Malibus at work. I mostly drive the '14, but IMO the whole start/stop process and resulting vibrations are awful and far from seamless. The first time my wife was riding with me and the car shut down and then back on again she really thought there was something wrong with it. I also don't have any other cars to compare it to as I've only experienced it in the Chevys, but we'll soon have a '17 Malibu at the office so I'll check that one out to see if it has improved.
    I've briefly driven a Prius (previous gen) and it was pretty seamless on that car.
    Well yeah, but doesn't it run on electricity for the first few MPH?
    Yeah, the hybrids I've sampled start/stop better than non hybrids I've been around and they will usually take of under electric power or at min electric assist.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    The stop-start on my diesel MB isn't too intrusive, maybe because of the way a (warm) diesel starts - it just turns on, doesn't crank. When I am on foot, I notice it most from 4cyl BMWs.

Well yeah, but doesn't it run on electricity for the first few MPH?

I mean the transition from ICE engine off to on, and back again.
    ...yet 9000 posts, lol!

I am a fast typist (thanks to Miss Chestley at school!) and I use a computer keyboard, not a phone (my cell is a flip-up, seriously). So I can type opinions here quickly, LOL!
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
    RE.: Window stickers--matter-of-fact, today it was 35 years ago that I bought my first NEW car, an '81 Monte Carlo

Sorry, meant 36 years ago, not 35.
    edited January 2017
    Hey fin, does the diesel just use compression ignition to restart? If so, that's pretty cool.
    edited January 2017
    Wife and I saw our first C7's in Black Rose Metallic while buying our Cruze. Have to say, I'm smitten. There's a matching leather interior too. I'd just want the base car, probably only options chrome wheels and glass top though.

http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/attachments/stingray-corvette-photos-videos/69442d1472405047-official-black-rose-exterior-thread-image.jpeg

A female college friend of mine told me recently, "You know what they say about guys who drive Corvettes" (LOL), but I have similar opinions on particular other owners which I'll keep to myself!
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,936

RE.: Window stickers--matter-of-fact, today it was 35 years ago that I bought my first NEW car, an '81 Monte Carlo

Sorry, meant 36 years ago, not 35.

In '81 I was a junior in college and driving my '76 Sunbird V6. Seems like yesterday, but lots of water under the bridge..

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

In 1981 I was 4 and usually rode around in my mom's gigantic 70s T-Bird B)

That Black Rose color reminds me of the new Caravan bought by an old neighbor back in the early 90s, it was a "black cherry" like that.
    wow, that brings back memories In 81, was in elementary school being shuttled around in a Caprice Wagon like just about every other kid at that time;)
    edited January 2017
    My parents had an '80 Monte Carlo V6 in a deep green that wasn't often seen; gold painted factory pinstripe, Rally Wheels, and belt moldings. I liked the car but didn't like the noises a V6 made in a Monte Carlo. I thought the '81 facelift was an improvement. I was looking for the baby V8, no air, dark jade with Rally Wheels but the closest out there was a two-tone light jade over dark jade, with the full wheelcovers. I bought it and really liked it.
    How did the 267 (4.4l) V8 perform vs the 231 V6 (3.8l)? Looking at specs, they are close in hp and torque. V8, 115hp, 200 ft/lb, V6 110hp, 190 ft/lb. Could you feel a marked difference from your parent's V6? I'm sure the V8 sounded better, V8s always sound good.

edited January 2017
    It was slow--only 5 more hp than the Chevy six (229). The V8 was either 115 hp or 120; and the six five less; can't recall for sure now the actual horsepower ratings. But, the V8 idled smoother and sounded smoother, and I liked that. And I want to say the V8 was only a $75 option at that point. I definitely remember the very bottom of the sticker was $8,192.00. It was built in Baltimore. It was stolen in Oct. '82 and I never saw it again. I replaced it with a solid dark jade '82 Monte V6, the dealer owner's demo, which had the Custom interior which became known as the "CL" trim in '83. I just did not like the car as much as the '81.
    BTW, I received my WeatherTech floor mats for our new Cruze today and I am absolutely delighted with how they fit.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited January 2017
    uplanderguy - whuh, seriously, you're flip-phoning it? Whoa. I'm contemplating buying my first i-phone, the i-phone 5S. Wal*Mart is selling them new (don't recall seeing the "refurbished" word used in their ad) for $149. Since I've always gone with Android, I'm shopping all kinds of Android phones and carriers. 

For instance, Republic Wireless will sell me a Motorola moto G four for $149. Or, I can consider a Straight Talk Samsung 3 for $99...or was it $129? They're blurring together a bit, but I love my Motorola Android phones, my moto e is working fine, I just need more storage space. The moto e won't take SD cards to expand storage, either. AFAIK Motorola doesn't have any kind of cloud program that I could hitch on to, either. So I'm kinda landlocked with it. But I just found it worth asking you about the flip-phoning thing. Wow, that was about 2006 for me, IIRC!

I'm way too frugal ta buy an i-phone 6 or a Samsung S7, too. Gotta be a Dave Ramsay bargain or nothing. Reason why buying a new Kia Soul would be really a splurge for me at $16,000. About what that 2016 Scion iA was I wanted round back about May of 2016. I'm thinking something like a new Nissan Versa S sedan with a 5-speed manual transmission for $12,100 plus T&L. As time moves along and I near the big 'R' I find it difficult ta want to part with $20,000 plus on a new automobile.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

Monte Carlo CL - an old friend of mine had a 1983 model for his first car (mid 90s), and kept it until just a few years ago. I used to joke that the "CL" stood for "CeLebrity" B) It was actually a well kept car at the time, 305 with the smaller transmission known for failure, and his finally gave up the ghost around the turn of the century - of course he had it replaced. I remember he eventually put wheels from an early 80s Z28 on it. He kept the car and used it daily for several more years, but marriage and work put it on the back burner. He finally sold it, to a guy who made it into a custom/lowrider, so it is still alive out there. He also has a lower mileage 85 Monte SS. He has no GM preference for modern cars now, as his family fleet is an Odyssey and a Mazda 6 - married with kids, mortgage is the main concern now.

Regarding phones, there are now cheaper models from big names like Samsung that are actually older highline phones still being made - something like a Galaxy J7. These offer better performance than some of the odd brands, at a more reasonable price. There's a lot of phone leasing out there too. I think the only person who has found wealth via Dave Ramsey is Dave Ramsey :)

I've got a smart phone and a flip phone, so when I'm tired to sticking my nose into phone #1, I can just leave it at home.
    edited February 2017
    First minor grumble about the '17 Cruze. With sloppy weather, I could see the back-up camera image getting fuzzy. Owner's manual says to clean the sensors, but doesn't say where they are! I thought they were the red-lensed jobs at the lower corners of the rear bumper, but no go. Couldn't find out where they were, online either! I called the dealer's Service Department and was told the sensor is near the license plate. It's small, but there it was. Wiped with a wet cloth and all is good. But geez, the way that owner's manuals are usually written for complete dummies, one would think the location of the sensors would be spelled out.

That said, 600 miles and we are still very much enjoying the car, particularly at the price. We think it's a great value and it even looks pretty nice with the aluminum wheels IMHO, although no one would call the car beautiful.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,145

First minor grumble about the '17 Cruze. With sloppy weather, I could see the back-up camera image getting fuzzy. Owner's manual says to clean the sensors, but doesn't say where they are! I thought they were the red-lensed jobs at the lower corners of the rear bumper, but no go. Couldn't find out where they were, online either! I called the dealer's Service Department and was told the sensor is near the license plate. It's small, but there it was. Wiped with a wet cloth and all is good. But geez, the way that owner's manuals are usually written for complete dummies, one would think the location of the sensors would be spelled out.

That said, 600 miles and we are still very much enjoying the car, particularly at the price. We think it's a great value and it even looks pretty nice with the aluminum wheels IMHO, although no one would call the car beautiful.

There is only the one camera. Fish eye lens, usually mounted above the rear license plate.

And yes, they do get clouded up with snow and stuff. I just run mine through the car wash.

Or, park where I don't have to back up.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

I think that's normal. My camera gets wet and distorted quite often in the frequent rain here. Probably could have been designed a little better. Once after a long rainy drive the car told me to clean the front sensors (car has parking assist and auto-stop etc).
    I put a little wax on the rear camera and lane watch camera. Seems to help a little. If I can't wash the car I will take a soft wet cloth and give it a quick once over.

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    edited February 2017
    Is the lens plastic or glass? If the latter, Rain-X might help. Its help on plastic may vary depending on type.
    I've thought about Rain-X or wax, maybe I'll try it this weekend.

The rear of the car tends to get really dirty, something about the flow of air behind the car.
    berri said:

Is the lens plastic or glass? If the latter, Rain-X might help. Its help on plastic may vary depending on type.

Rain-X is kind of amazing.
    I had never heard of it. One year I was visiting my brother and we were driving in the rain and he didn't bother to turn on his wipers for a bit. And the water was beading up and streaming up the windshield from the airflow! I asked him "Do you have something on your windshield to make it do that?".

Definitely a product that does what it says.
    I've had same issue with rear camera. And as fin mentioned I get the "clean front sensors" often in the winter. If it's snowing or even a hard rain can cause issues with the front "park assist" sensors in the front on my Ram
    I have auto on wipers and the manual specifically states not to use rainx. I guess the water beads will confuse the sensors for the wipers.
    I apply Rain-X a few times a year. When it wears out, it seems to make things worse, so you have to maintain it. It wears out quickly in the frequent rain here.

I've recently bought "Klasse" brand paint cleaner and glaze, to try on the fintail. The packaging says it is also for use on glass. I am going to try it and see if it performs like Rain-X.
    edited February 2017
    I generally wash and dry our vehicles at home and am very picky about cleaning inside the door, trunk, hood and other nooks and crannies. There are times when I can't and I go to a full service soft cloth car wash about 2 miles from our house. They offer different levels of service and a basic $4 drive thru wash. When I do this, I drive home, get out some towels and a squirt bottle of the orange summer blend of Rain-X washer fluid. I spritz this on the car, paint, glass and wipe down. It does a nice job of removing any water spots and seems to enhance the shine. When it rains the whole car beads nicely and it seems to repel dirt. At less than $3 gallon it is inexpensive to use. Yes I am cheap and crazy.

I wipe my car with a spray detailer weekly, and generally dry it off every time it gets wet (car washes here are expensive and uncommon, the social engineers we've allowed to have their fingers on the button probably won't grant zoning for a new one these days). I never thought of Rain-X, but the spray detailer does a similar job, maybe just a little pricier. I also make my own car wash solution, using a large spray bottle. I get the car wet, apply the solution, then rinse and dry, right in my own garage. It works.

I wonder if frequent waxing and detailing would have slowed or stopped the failing paint issue had by many GMs and other domestics in the late 80s/early 90s, and on turn of the century Hondas.
    edited February 2017
    fintail said:

I wipe my car with a spray detailer weekly, and generally dry it off every time it gets wet (car washes here are expensive and uncommon, the social engineers we've allowed to have their fingers on the button probably won't grant zoning for a new one these days). I never thought of Rain-X, but the spray detailer does a similar job, maybe just a little pricier. I also make my own car wash solution, using a large spray bottle. I get the car wet, apply the solution, then rinse and dry, right in my own garage. It works.

I wonder if frequent waxing and detailing would have slowed or stopped the failing paint issue had by many GMs and other domestics in the late 80s/early 90s, and on turn of the century Hondas.

I have used Meguiars spray detailer and thought it worked fine. I just happened to be out and filled up an old Windex bottle with Rain-X washer fluid I had and found it worked just as well. Perhaps I am wrong, but my thought was since washer fluid would often get the surrounding paint wet when the washers are used it must be safe on paint otherwise there would be complaints against the product.

Yeah, the diluted Rain-X probably isn't dangerous. I wouldn't worry.

I also use Meguiars Quik Wax, which has a nice smell and makes the surface very slick. It doesn't last forever, but one can easily do a car in under 10 minutes.
    sda said:

I have used Meguiars spray detailer and thought it worked fine. I just happened to be out and filled up an old Windex bottle with Rain-X washer fluid I had and found it worked just as well. Perhaps I am wrong, but my thought was since washer fluid would often get the surrounding paint wet when the washers are used it must be safe on paint otherwise there would be complaints against the product.

The dealer put RainX on our Cruze before delivery, for free, and gave me a coupon for another free application in three months. I have to say, it seems amazing. No need to use wipers in a pretty good downpour.
    There's a Rain-X style product called Aquapel that does a similar, that is either sold at a high price via detail shops, or sold online for cheaper. It's more work to apply, I've bought it but seldom use it.

It rains a lot here, and wipers that judder or make noise drive me insane, so I want smooth silent operation. My windshield is usually treated with something.
    RE.: Waxing may have delayed paint delamination--I never had the issue, and I had a '90 Corsica in a metallic color I drove for 6 1/2 years and 108K miles and it sat outside, always. I do think certain colors did it worse than others though. I did wax my cars a couple times a year though, still do.
    I seem to recall white was a prime offender, falling off in patches to reveal grey primer. Dark colored turn of the century Hondas also can age poorly. I suspect wax helps a lot, most people never do it.
    My neighbor's '03 white Odyssey has paint that is starting to peel above the windshield. It has been kept outside most of the time and I doubt it has ever been waxed. There is a dark blue Odyssey of the same body style '99-04 that I see frequently that has peeling paint on all panels of the van. I don't know how many miles or any details. If it was me I would want to do at the minimum a cheap paint job if the car is in good mechanical shape.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,145
    Good news for the UAW.

Funny that you found this on the BBC news site, and not the Detroit Free Press or something domestic.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4