Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2003 Suzuki XL7 - No paradise by the dashboard lights

WULFWULF Member Posts: 3
edited February 2017 in Suzuki
Since last week the dashboard lights including lights on the shifter are all off, The speedo and tach display are still lit but the dimmer no longer works, and although my hi-beams work when I flick them, when I flip them forward to engage them full time they no longer work. This all happened at the same time. I've checks all battery connections, cleaned leads etc. no luck. Any help?

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

Did you try to reach underneath and do the "wiggle test"?

How did you check your fuses? If you did it "by sight", that could fool you easily.

How about checking for another fuse box? Are you sure there's only one?

How about fusible links coming off the + battery post?

You may need a wiring diagram to figure out how all these symptoms interconnect.

• WULFWULF Member Posts: 3
    I haven't really checked the fuses except a visual inspection, reason being that in my owners manual diagram of the fuse boxes (there are two I believe) no fuse seems to be assigned to the dashboard lights and hi-beams and dimmer. What exactly is 'the wiggle test?' Thanks for you time and assistance!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well in the wiggle test you take hold of a part of the wiring harness under the dash and wiggle it, and see if the lights come on again. This at least isolates that part of the harness that might be the problem. Let's say you wiggle some wires that plug into the back of the dash, into a module back there. If the wiggle test produces a result, then you know that there must be some connector or circuit board problem at that point. It's not precise but it's a start.

To test fuses properly, you should pull them and use a simple volt/ohm meter and test for continuity.

This is why a wiring diagram is so important for diagnosis. In the diagram, you may find what controls all these functions.
  • WULFWULF Member Posts: 3
    Much appreciated. I will give those options a try, thanks!