Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2017 Honda Civic - Special order a car cost allot more?

jo3tekkjo3tekk Member Posts: 2
edited February 2017 in Honda
I just left the dealership not too long ago cause they couldn't get me a deal on a civic hatchback that I wanted. I wanted the hatchback for my dogs to carry them around. And wanted the standard transmission for some spirited driving to work and back. (40 miles back and forth in highways) And I really like the mileage it gets per gallon compared to my old 01 mustang. Been a Honda "fanboy" for a while for their prices and reliability. So when I went to the dealership, they didn't have any standard transmissions in stock. And they told me that they don't but they do have autos. When I mentioned ordering from the factory, they said it'll cost a lot more, maybe a few thousands. Which I find ridiculous. So I just walked out. It's 1000+ cheaper to get manual instead of auto according to the website. So I'm curious. Is special ordering a vehicle from the lot cost mode for delivery fees and such? Or is it all just a gimmick? Thank you

Answers

• jo3tekkjo3tekk Member Posts: 2
    Also I googled around allot and all I get is "when is it a good time to special  order. 
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,180
    jo3tekk said:

I just left the dealership not too long ago cause they couldn't get me a deal on a civic hatchback that I wanted.

I wanted the hatchback for my dogs to carry them around. And wanted the standard transmission for some spirited driving to work and back. (40 miles back and forth in highways) And I really like the mileage it gets per gallon compared to my old 01 mustang. Been a Honda "fanboy" for a while for their prices and reliability.

So when I went to the dealership, they didn't have any standard transmissions in stock. And they told me that they don't but they do have autos. When I mentioned ordering from the factory, they said it'll cost a lot more, maybe a few thousands. Which I find ridiculous. So I just walked out.

It's 1000+ cheaper to get manual instead of auto according to the website. So I'm curious.

Is special ordering a vehicle from the lot cost mode for delivery fees and such? Or is it all just a gimmick? Thank you

I would check with another dealer. The one you dealt with obviously does not want to be bothered with a special order.

The manual transmissions may be rare but they aren't worth thousands more in transaction price.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited February 2017
    Lazy dealer I think. He could swap out with another dealer's inventory (who would probably be happy to get rid of the manual transmission car), and then the only extra expense might be small surcharge to drive the car from one dealer to another. But even a swap involves some paperwork and effort, so you need to find a dealer who understands the concept of "building goodwill".
  • tony1034tony1034 Member Posts: 32
    jo3tekk,
    I ordered a Civic Sport Hatch with the 6spd two weeks ago. They did not charge me a dime more. Find another dealer. I'm in NJ and located 4 Sport Hatchbacks with a stick (two in Sonic Blue and two in Silver). They are definitely very rare to find. Personally I'm not a fan of CVT's so why I wanted the 6spd (these manuals are bullet-proof too). Same reason I got my wife a 2017 Acura RDX (V6 with 6spd auto) versus the new 2017 Honda CRV (4cyl Turbo with CVT). I didn't like the two colors we found in the Sport Hatch so we ordered a white one :smile: