Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Manual Shift Cars

smallinjecksmallinjeck Member Posts: 10
edited February 2017 in General
I've never owned a manual shift car and I feel like it's time I bought one. However, I don't know what to expect so I need to know the advantages and disadvantages of a manual shift vehicle.

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You'll get many opinions about this, some of which might not apply to the more modern cars, since they have very quick shifting and very efficient dual clutch automatic transmission---which are similar to a clutch car in efficiency but without a third pedal.

I've always driven manual transmission cars but part of that might have to do with the type of cars I drive. I don't think a manual transmission is suitable for every type of vehicle, so you have to factor that into the equation.

Some may cite these benfits:

1. improved fuel mileage (generally true although not a spectacular gain)
    2. more engaging, more fun (true, in my opinion)
    3. not so much fun in heavy traffic (also true, but not so bad really)
    4. better control in difficult driving conditions (debatable---with a skillful driver yes, with a newbie, not really)
    5. Costs less to repair than an automatic (generally true with a few exceptions)
    6. Cheaper to buy a stickshift car initially (generally true)
    7. You can push start it
    8. Less chance of unintended acceleration mishap
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    What kind of car are you considering? Do you know how to drive a stick?
  • smallinjecksmallinjeck Member Posts: 10
    @Mr_Shiftright Thanks a lot for your detailed response. I like the second and last benefits that you have listed. @texases I would like to have a Subaru Legacy 2015.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited February 2017
    Good choice but not all that great a performer and I don't think the 4 cylinder comes with a manual transmission.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100
    The 2017 model doesn't offer a stick, at all.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• smallinjecksmallinjeck Member Posts: 10

Good choice but not all that great a performer and I don't think the 4 cylinder comes with a manual transmission.

What would you suggest I go for?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100

What would you suggest I go for?
    If you want a stick shift, it's hard to beat a Honda.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    That's the hard part, finding car you like that comes with a stick. Sometimes if you want the stick, you have to give up other little conveniences.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited February 2017
    smallinjeck - this is the stick shift car I like - it's a 2017 Toyota Yaris iA. This one is on sale for only $14,975, which includes a $1,500 Toyota incentive that expires on 02/28/17. It has a 6-speed stick in it, and it's Mazda mechanicals with a Toyota body built around them. This one's color is called Abyss - it's a deep blue.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Are you someone who's trying to find a basic car without all of the complicated new technology? Or maybe you know (or are!) someone who just bought a car that's loaded with apps and technology and you have a funny story about figuring out how to use it?
    We have a reporter who would love to talk to you. Please send a note with details and your contact information to PR@Edmunds.com by Monday, March 13, 2017.