Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Monthly Update for February - 2016 Chevrolet Volt

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited March 2017 in Chevrolet
imageMonthly Update for February - 2016 Chevrolet Volt

We spent a commute-heavy February with our long-term 2016 Chevrolet Volt. And we challenged the limits of its cargo area along the way.

Read the full story here

Comments

• justoneopinionjustoneopinion Member Posts: 21
    Thank you for pointing out the surging issue in the Volt drivetrain when the gas engine is running (either in the driver-selected "Hold" mode, or automatically when the battery is depleted or the outdoor temperature is very cold). No other automotive writer I've read has mentioned it. I've noticed this irritating flaw in my 2017 Volt, too.

GM has a service bulletin on the issue which describes it as the transmission continuously optimizing the interface of the gas engine and electric motors. Two Chevy dealers have given me the same line. I think GM could have done better with the engineering.

Anyone who test drives a Volt needs to run it in "Hold" mode to experience the surging sensation. I don't recall feeling it on my test drives, unfortunately.
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    I've had my Volt for 3 months and taken it on several 100+ mile road trips. Other than being slightly noisier than in EV mode, I don't notice any difference in driving dynamics.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere