Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Monthly Update for February 2017 - 2016 Honda Civic Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited March 2017 in Honda
imageMonthly Update for February 2017 - 2016 Honda Civic Long-Term Road Test

We've wrapped up 12 months and 22,000 miles with the 2016 Honda Civic Touring. Some things bugged us, some things thrilled us, but there's no doubt the new Civic is a successful reboot for this storied nameplate.

Read the full story here

Comments

• longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455
    ""One Civic high point is definitely its design. The beltline is strong and ties the front and rear halves of the car together nicely, while the silhouette makes the car seem fast and purposeful." — Calvin Kim"

"One Smart Fortwo high point is definitely its acceleration..." - Calvin Kim
  • stovebolterstovebolter Member Posts: 53
    I have to echo the comments about the Civic styling - particularly this one:
    " I wish the otherwise wonderful manual-transmission Civic hatchback didn't have those dorky honeycomb plastic inserts in the rear fascia..."

"Dorky" describes the front honeycombs, the rear go far beyond that.

Even so, the Civic hatchback is high on my list for my potential next car. Honda already introduced the boy-racer Type R in Geneva, maybe they could look into making an adult-themed version next?
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    I don't understand the styling objections. I'm 39 and think it looks fantastic and very classy. Now, keep in mind that I'm a software developer, so maybe that makes me "dorky" LOL. Its a fantastic car, I really love it.
  • longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455

I don't understand the styling objections. I'm 39 and think it looks fantastic and very classy. Now, keep in mind that I'm a software developer, so maybe that makes me "dorky" LOL. Its a fantastic car, I really love it.

I think the styling objections are centered around the classic Japanese surface-excitement trend that has been present to a lesser or greater extent since the 1960s, when Japanese cars first started showing up on these shores. Lots of veering back and forth between "overdone" and "dull," with not a lot of stops at "tasteful." Kind of a styling tank-slapper, you might say. The best-looking Japanese cars are as beautiful as the best from anywhere, but not enough of them.