Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Car Buying Advice - 2016 320i, looking to purchase

jks24jks24 Member Posts: 69
edited March 2017 in BMW
I found a car, it has 3k miles, can they "certify" the car and charge me the extra 2K for this feature if the car has never been titled to anyone? they say it was an executive car.
Thaank you!!!! They say they found it at Auction. How do I know if I am getting a fair value?

Answers

• Options
    shl0007shl0007 Member Posts: 4
    This is exactly what the BMW dealer told me about a 320i executive car at auction but the dealer said he could sell it to me without the CPO and save the $2K off the purchase price.
  • Options
    NathanCrumbackNathanCrumback Administrator Posts: 508
    jks24 said:

I found a car, it has 3k miles, can they "certify" the car and charge me the extra 2K for this feature if the car has never been titled to anyone? they say it was an executive car.
    Thaank you!!!! They say they found it at Auction. How do I know if I am getting a fair value?

It costs money to certify any car. It is usually passed along to the customer by increasing the sales price. The CPO warranty adds value to the car because of extended warranty coverage and other perks. Sometimes, depending on the dealership, you can purchase the car without the CPO warranty and it would lower the price.

In terms of seeing what you should pay, we would recommend researching the True Market Value (TMV) on Edmunds. The TMV is the average price a specific vehicle is being sold for in your region. There are multiple ways that you can research the TMV for a used car. From the homepage, www.edmunds.com, select the “Research” tab on the top right banner of the web page. On the blue drop down menu, you will see a column labeled “Pricing and Calculators”. Under that column, select “Car Valuation” then follow these directions.

* Under "Appraise Your Car", enter the "Year, Make, Model, and Trim" of the vehicle you are researching. Enter the zip code. and then select the blue “Appraise My Car"
    *Step 1 is to use the pull down menu to select the correct Trim level, Transmission, Drivetrain, and engine size. Once you have this selected, select the orange "Add Color and Options" button.
    * Step 2, select the color of the vehicle and all the additional options installed. Then select the orange "Condition and Miles" button
    * Step 3, enter the correct mile for the vehicle and then select the condition that describes the vehicle you are looking at then select the orange "Appraise My Car" button
    * Step 4 will list the TMV price in three forms "Trade-In, Private Sale, and Dealer Retail". If you are trading the vehicle in, look at the "Trade-in" TMV. If you are buying from a private party, look at the "Private Sale" TMV. If you are looking to purchase from a dealership, look at the "Dealer Retail" (or Dealer Retail under "Certified Used Price” if its a Certified Preowned Vehicle) TMV.
    Edmunds Moderator