Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2017 Mercedes GLE350 4matic MPG is LOW

newguestnewguest Member Posts: 13
edited March 2017 in Mercedes-Benz
The MPG is very low for GLE350 2017 model. It is around 12.5 MPG/City . Is this expected ? It generally says MPG for city is 17 MPG

Answers

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100
    newguest said:

The MPG is very low for GLE350 2017 model. It is around 12.5 MPG/City . Is this expected ? It generally says MPG for city is 17 MPG

How long have you had it, and how many miles?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    Also are you in an area with winter fuel?
  • newguestnewguest Member Posts: 13
    I have it for 2 months and it's around 800 miles now. I am in Oregon.. not sure if they use Winter fuel..
    kyfdx said:

newguest said:

I have it for 2 months and it's around 800 miles now. I am in Oregon.. not sure if they use Winter fuel and how it affects..
    ray80 said:

Also are you in an area with winter fuel?

I have it for 2 months and it's around 800 miles now. I am in Oregon.. not sure if they use Winter fuel and how it affects..
    newguest said:

kyfdx said:

newguest said:

Are you calculating it by hand?

To get a true reading, fill up the tank, and reset the trip odometer to zero.
    Use up that tank, and on next fill up, take the mileage from the trip odometer, and divide by the number of gallons it took to fill up.

With a new car, this basically takes two full tanks to get an appropriate reading.

I'll note that if you are only driving 400 miles per month, that's probably a lot more stop/go and more rigorous driving than the city loop they use for the EPA ratings.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

newguest said:

kyfdx said:

newguest said:

Use up that tank, and on next fill up, take the mileage from the trip odometer, and divide by the number of gallons it took to fill up.

With a new car, this basically takes two full tanks to get an appropriate reading.

I'll note that if you are only driving 400 miles per month, that's probably a lot more stop/go and more rigorous driving than the city loop they use for the EPA ratings.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I followed the same process you mentioned above to calculate. And also the "Reset Submenu" shows the same figure of 12.5 mpg..
    newguest said:

kyfdx said:

newguest said:

kyfdx said:

newguest said:

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I followed the same process you mentioned above to calculate. And also the "Reset Submenu" shows the same figure of 12.5 mpg..
    See how it does, once you get a little bit longer trips in. It's three miles round-trip to the gym. If I don't go anywhere else, my car averages about 14 mpg, and it's rated 20 mpg city.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    I usually wait 3 or 4 thousand miles on a new vehicle to get a better idea on how its going to do MPG wise, little break in time.
    kyfdx said:

newguest said:

kyfdx said:

newguest said:

kyfdx said:

newguest said:

See how it does, once you get a little bit longer trips in. It's three miles round-trip to the gym. If I don't go anywhere else, my car averages about 14 mpg, and it's rated 20 mpg city.
    kyfdx said:

newguest said:

kyfdx said:

newguest said:

kyfdx said:

newguest said:

Thank you..
    ray80 said:

I usually wait 3 or 4 thousand miles on a new vehicle to get a better idea on how its going to do MPG wise, little break in time.

Sure Thank you..
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    800 miles in two months. "City" driving expects an average amount of time idling and moving at lower speeds versus some time at speed. If your usage has you stopped and idling more than the average then your mileage will be lower than the estimate.