Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Monthly Update for February 2017 - 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited March 2017 in Chrysler
imageMonthly Update for February 2017 - 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Long-Term Road Test

February was a largely uneventful month for our 2017 Chrysler Pacifica. It mostly stayed around town, shuttling the kids. We also took it to a nearby dealer for its first scheduled service.

Read the full story here

Comments

• legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    edited March 2017
    The fuel efficiency on this thing continues to diappoint. I have a Durango with the same engine/transmission + AWD and in a year I have never had a tank below 19 mpg. I'm usually around 21 in mixed driving. A lot comes down to driving conditions and style but the Pacifica should be much better than this.
    Agreed on the rotary shift selector. The visual and tactile feedback of a real lever that moves to different positions for each selection simply cannot be beat by any of the creative solutions that automakers are trying to throw at us. Dials make sense when you care about relative adjustments (louder/softer, warmer/cooler, etc.) and where the specific selection is of less concern. I don't care if the volume is 16 or 17 or 18, I just know I want to turn it up or down and a dial is perfect for this. But a transmission is in Park or or Drive or Reverse and each of these is completely different and important. You don't want "more" or "less" from the transmission, you want one of those specific selections. So much better to know which selection you're in and which one you're choosing by the feel/location of a lever rather than relying on other visual feedback.
  • scott31scott31 Member Posts: 292
    You spent $122.82 for an oil change, tire rotation, and "inspection"? Yeouch!
  • longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455
    legacygt said:

The fuel efficiency on this thing continues to diappoint. I have a Durango with the same engine/transmission + AWD and in a year I have never had a tank below 19 mpg. I'm usually around 21 in mixed driving. A lot comes down to driving conditions and style but the Pacifica should be much better than this.
    Agreed on the rotary shift selector. The visual and tactile feedback of a real lever that moves to different positions for each selection simply cannot be beat by any of the creative solutions that automakers are trying to throw at us. Dials make sense when you care about relative adjustments (louder/softer, warmer/cooler, etc.) and where the specific selection is of less concern. I don't care if the volume is 16 or 17 or 18, I just know I want to turn it up or down and a dial is perfect for this. But a transmission is in Park or or Drive or Reverse and each of these is completely different and important. You don't want "more" or "less" from the transmission, you want one of those specific selections. So much better to know which selection you're in and which one you're choosing by the feel/location of a lever rather than relying on other visual feedback.

Good explanation - I think it's just too easy to overshoot your desired selection - and with a transmission, that's a recipe for disaster.
  • bsommerfeldtbsommerfeldt Member Posts: 1
    There must be safeguards built-in to prevent gear damage when driving if u accidentally think ur turning a volume dial...no?
  • pleadingpleading Member Posts: 1
    I have similar on fuel, but they are having drive train problems. Can you report gear, most only get to 7th. If at 70 mph you are near 2000 you are in seventh gear and likely never see 8 or 9. This will cost you 15-20 % fuel Econ loss. You can setup table (rpm vs sped vs gear) available data.

My dealer told me it are only seven gears effectively.

Thank for all the feedback