Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

i have a 2007 chevy cobalt back door wont open

dennisf54dennisf54 Member Posts: 7
edited March 2017 in Chevrolet
can any one help ,I have a 2007 chevy cobalt the door lock comes way up about 8 inches but doesent unlock the door,does any one have a ideas please let me know and thank you in advance for your help.
dennisf54@yahoo.ca

Best Answer

Answers

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    From your description I assume you're talking about manual door locks and that when you pull up on the knob it pulls way up but doesn't unlock the door. Safe to assume that the rod it's connected to either detached or broke from the mechanism. This diagram should illustrate:

You can see how that bend in the rod would keep it from coming out all the way, and I'd bet it would let you pull it up about 8". You'll have to get inside the door to see what's going on.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You take the door PANEL off, not the door! :p

Most door panels come off pretty easily---there are usually screws in the armrest and inside the pull handle area; otherwise most panels pop off with little snaps (which sometimes break and need replacement with a trip to your local auto parts store), and some panels require lifting UP after unsecuring all the screws and snap fasteners. There's usualy a plastic moisture barrier behind the panel which you have to remove--be sure to re-tape this when you're done.

Sounds like your "lift rod" has come apart from the door lock--usually these rods are held in place by little metal clips--which you might find have fallen on the bottom of the door.
  • dennisf54dennisf54 Member Posts: 7
    thank you so much I will give it a try
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,772
    If you've never had a door panel off before, you might try a body or trim shop, first. Getting it off without tearing out the area around the clips and keeping the moisture barrier intact is a hard job.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Patience is the key--just take your time, don't strongarm it. Be an artist, not a gorilla. :p
    I have all the tools to take it off
    edited March 2017
    Let us know how things turn out! Feel free to post pics of the procedure if you like. These kind of things happen and your experience will help others for sure.
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    Some door panels are easy to remove with the door open and a nightmare to remove when the door is stuck closed. Since you can get inside the car a solution to try first is to roll the window down and get some light inside the door to help you see what you need to do to unlock the door. Then use a slim-jim or other door unlocking tool to open the door. Then you can get the panel off and set about repairing the door.
    I have all the tools to take it off
    well I will let every one know Wednesday afternoon how things work out the wife has the car out plus there isn't much time left today when she gets home
    sorry guys the wife got called in to work I got started but haven't finished I will finish it on sat. thanks for every ones help
    Looking forward to a successful conclusion!