Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Can You Return the Car You Just Bought?

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited March 2017 in General
imageCan You Return the Car You Just Bought?

Can you return a car after you sign the sales contract? The answers are

Read the full story here

Comments

• letsrunumletsrunum Member Posts: 1
    I had Edmond Hyundai sell me a car before their own people could check the car out for problems. They sold us a car that they let us leave in with a mid size cracked windshield which is a safety hazard, they had a hail sell going on so I asked them was the car that we were buying a part of that sell they told us No! The very next day when I got to look at the car out of the rain I could notice small hail damage over the car 500$ to fix their lie! I gave the car a better look over and notice there was a plastic piece that held a rubber piece in place on the sunroof so it would function properly over a long period of time $400 to fix that. I remembered my wife telling me that 3rd gear was not right but I thought it was her just missing a gear since I made her learn on a 99 Nissan Maxima 5 speed and the car we bought was a 2007 Honda SI 6 speed. When I took it for a test drive myself across town I got it to do what my wife said which was when you were going to shift into 3rd gear it would grind and kick you back down to neutral this is when I started to kick myself in the butt because my wife was right it had transmission problems and in that damn same test drive my passenger side sun visor just fell off plus the air bag light came on the dash. I tried taking it back just the very next day after we bought it from the stealership and the only thing they would do was fix my windshield. Just 6 months later the transmission goes out from that 3rd gear proplem which Honda knows about but wont recall it because it cost me 4,000 to fix the transmission and new clutch, it would just cost them to much to fix everbodys defects that have this problem which they have a big blog on the web with tons of people having this same problem because they used brass parts in the transmission that are made to fell and they know it and I know that you dont use brass you use hardened steel dumb [non-permissible content removed] Honda and this why I stoped buying new cars.Oh I had to put front and back brakes on it in just 3 months. This car cost me 5500 in car maintenance so I now have 17500 in this car and only worth 11500 thanks stealership for not helping people get in a good car. Stay away from Bob Howard's places on Broadway this was my 2nd [non-permissible content removed] car I got from them that broke down so they must sell unreliable cars so just stay very far away you will save yourself lots of money trust me! Save yourself more money and buy an old school car like I did 1970 Cutlass Supreme which had been in the family since the 80's got it off my brother around 2002 and was still running with 300,000+miles plus racing it on the weekends in Guthrie,Ok crown of the 405 baby! I rebuilt the motor in 2007 and still no problems out of it. Insurance is very cheap you dont need a mechanic to fix things and your car will have a 4 star crash rating not like the new cars which have a one star just because they have air bags just put air bags on my old car then it would have 5 stars these new cars just dont have what it takes to be called reliable!
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    ??????

Your post was very difficult to read and impossible (at least for me) to understand.

I have not heard of any transmission problems on those BUT I will say that a LOT of Civic SI's are owned by very abusive drivers.

Next time I would strongly suggest a pre-purchase inspection especially if you are buying a used car from a small independent lot. These guys often buy the cars at auction that the big stores don't want.
  • kedwa30kedwa30 Member Posts: 1
    My 94 year old grandmother received a notice in the mail that she had won a prize and needed to come down to the dealership to see how much she had won. My mother, who had only recently recovered from a lengthy hospitalization to the point she can walk now, went in her stead to claim the prize. She came back having won $3, but also having bought a used car at over $10,000 the Kelly Blue Book value and a payment that stretches her budget too much.
    Clearly this is a case of buyer's remorse due to being unprepared as she did not go to the dealership to buy a car. I'm hoping the dealer will be understanding that she may have recovered enough to walk, but she may no longer be as mentally fit as she was before her illness. I hope dealers will give the special consideration they would want their own parents to get.
    I would go in person and ask to speak to the General Manager and explain exactly what happened.

Generally speaking the answer is no but maybe they will let her exchange that used car for something affordable.

Unfortunate that these gimmicks to get people in the door still work in some cases.
  • jayentojayento Member Posts: 1
    I think I am about to make a bad purchase. The car I want to buy is from a small dealer with maybe only 12 cars. The 2005 Nissan Sentra drove good with no problems during the test drive. To hold, the guy asked for $500 unrefundable down payment. The wife needs a car to go 5 minutes drive to work. I have never bought a car from a small lt like this. I got home and did my research. Of course the car was bought from an auction but had 2 accidents (2008 shown as possible total loss and minor accident in 2013). I will insist that the car needs to be checked before we consider buying. If I do not get the car, am I liable to loss the deposit (down payment which went to the price of the car)?
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,057
    jayento said:

I think I am about to make a bad purchase. The car I want to buy is from a small dealer with maybe only 12 cars. The 2005 Nissan Sentra drove good with no problems during the test drive. To hold, the guy asked for $500 unrefundable down payment. The wife needs a car to go 5 minutes drive to work. I have never bought a car from a small lt like this. I got home and did my research. Of course the car was bought from an auction but had 2 accidents (2008 shown as possible total loss and minor accident in 2013). I will insist that the car needs to be checked before we consider buying. If I do not get the car, am I liable to loss the deposit (down payment which went to the price of the car)?

Did you sign any paperwork that stipulates the deposit is non-refundable?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• cren1212cren1212 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a new Dodge Durango, or I thought was new. Transaction took place right a closing at a very large dealership. Salesman did not let us know that the vehicle had 1800 miles and 40 engine hours on it. That to me is a used car. I paid for a new vehicle. Do I have any recourse on this?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    cren1212 said:

I just bought a new Dodge Durango, or I thought was new. Transaction took place right a closing at a very large dealership. Salesman did not let us know that the vehicle had 1800 miles and 40 engine hours on it. That to me is a used car. I paid for a new vehicle. Do I have any recourse on this?

A car is considered new, as long as it hasn't been titled to an individual owner.

Almost every car deal requires you to sign an odometer statement. But, your best bet is not legal recourse, it's a call to the dealer to say you think you were misled. Maybe, they will offer some compensation.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• 1leo4life1leo4life Member Posts: 2
    I went to Keffer Hyundai in Matthews, NC on Saturday, December 3, 2016, to purchase a car with a finance certificate in hand. I was asked to complete information which appeared to be for a credit check. I advised the sales person, Chris Wesley, that I did not want my credit pulled and he said that the paper work was required but my report would not be pulled. Before filling out the paperwork, I called my finance company and they advised that car dealerships require the information for their records. I completed the information and was assured that my credit would not be pulled. This was important to me as I know what is on my credit report and I understand where I stand.

Last night, Thursday, December 15, 2016, when I went to my mail box there were seven (7) credit inquires / declinations. I can not stop crying. I want to take this car back because Chris Wesley, the salesperson lied. I called my finance company and they advised me to call the dealership because if I asked them not to pull my credit they should not have done so. My finance company further stated that the dealership could have the inquiries removed by contacting the credit bureaus. I called the dealership and they advised me that there was nothing they could do because the deal was done. I advised Mr. Kevin Martin, with Keffer Hyundai finance department that I will bring the car back because they lied about something extremely important to me. Mr. Martin told me if I was concerned with my credit, bringing the car back would not be a good idea. So basically, we pulled your credit, and you can't do anything about it. Mr. Martin left off saying he would talk to the General Manger and give me a call back.

I do not believe them. I want to take the car back because what they did does not deserve a reward with an auto sale. I can afford the car, what I cannot afford is the seven (7) credit inquiries (10 additional negative points on my report). I can not stop crying.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You might want to consult with an attorney or your local consumer protection agency to see if there has been a violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act:

http://classactiondefense.jmbm.com/2006/09/15_usc_1681n_and_1681o_civil_l.html

You may want to print out a good copy of this regulation and show it to the General Manager.
    The dealer was right about one thing. You do not want to take your car back and drop it off. You need to separate the emotions from your issue.

As far as your credit score? Taking on the new debt will have a far greater effect than any credit inquiry. All related credit inquiries within 30 days (like an auto loan) only count as a single inquiry. Within a couple of months, that effect will disappear.

They should have told you: It's virtually impossible to take a car off the lot, without the dealer checking your credit. It's their backup, in case your certificate turns out to be invalid.

All credit score issues will resolve themselves, just by paying your bills on time. There will be no long term effect from the dealer pulling your credit.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Good advice. I think, though, that his/her point was that the dealer expressly told her they wouldn't pull a credit inquiry. If true, this was "unauthorized" under the Fair Credit Act. If she had financing in hand, why would they try to cover their bases with a credit pull?

I think he/she needs to sit down with the general manager and straighten this out, even if it's just a few perks and an apology. It's good to start off on the right foot here.
  • 1leo4life1leo4life Member Posts: 2
    Thank you kyfdx and Mr._Shiftright. I will not be taking the car back, dumb move if there ever was one. I considered consulting an attorney but I figured this is a mistake I MUST learn from. I will get over it, but I keep wondering whatever happened to the power of a man's word. Thanks guys.
    1leo4life said:

Thank you kyfdx and Mr._Shiftright. I will not be taking the car back, dumb move if there ever was one. I considered consulting an attorney but I figured this is a mistake I MUST learn from. I will get over it, but I keep wondering whatever happened to the power of a man's word. Thanks guys.

Enjoy your new car!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Feel free to write up a dealer review.
  • nondo719nondo719 Member Posts: 1
    Yesterday I purchased a used SUV here in Portland OR. Today my 12 year old daughter was looking in the pocket behind the passenger front seat, and discovered when she reached her hand in there, a hypodermic exposed needle. We are not thinking she got poked, but are taking appropriate precautions - just in case. Either way I honestly do not know if I want this car anymore, but not sure what (if any) obligations the dealership will have. They have agreed to re-detail it for us. I would like to ask them to take this vehicle back, and work with us to find a similar vehicle and honor the same deal/price/financing. Does that seem unrealistic of me?
    Thanks!
    nondo719 said:

Yesterday I purchased a used SUV here in Portland OR. Today my 12 year old daughter was looking in the pocket behind the passenger front seat, and discovered when she reached her hand in there, a hypodermic exposed needle. We are not thinking she got poked, but are taking appropriate precautions - just in case. Either way I honestly do not know if I want this car anymore, but not sure what (if any) obligations the dealership will have. They have agreed to re-detail it for us. I would like to ask them to take this vehicle back, and work with us to find a similar vehicle and honor the same deal/price/financing. Does that seem unrealistic of me?
    Thanks!

Doesn't hurt to ask. In most instances, you really have no chance of getting out of a car sale that's been completed/delivered.

Glad to hear there are no injuries.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

nondo719 said:

Thanks!

I can understand your concern but things happen. A diabetic could have shot up a dose of insulin or a shot
    could have been given to a sick pet. Even the best detailers will overlook things. I say no harm no foul and by all means let them re-detail it for you. They are probably embarrassed over this.
  • ellie_07ellie_07 Member Posts: 3
    Hello, i bought the new car yesterday. They brought the car to my house and all the paper work is done in my house. however, After my father signed the contract, we found out that the car does not have some function we want. So is it possible that i can return the car? I've heard that under North Carolina law, we an return the car within 7 days if the paper work isn't done at dealerships. Is it true? Thank you
    ellie_07 said:

Hello, i bought the new car yesterday. They brought the car to my house and all the paper work is done in my house. however, After my father signed the contract, we found out that the car does not have some function we want. So is it possible that i can return the car? I've heard that under North Carolina law, we an return the car within 7 days if the paper work isn't done at dealerships. Is it true? Thank you

I am not certain that there is any "cool off period" if you have taken delivery of the car.

You can check with the state, however, as the laws there may be different.

Did you not inspect the car thoroughly before signing the papers?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    edited February 2017
    I do not see a cooling off period for auto's in NC, either new or used unless in the contract

What was that missing feature?
    edited February 2017
    Michaell said:

ellie_07 said:

I am not certain that there is any "cool off period" if you have taken delivery of the car.

You can check with the state, however, as the laws there may be different.

Did you not inspect the car thoroughly before signing the papers?

Yes, my dad did not check carefully, because he watch the review online and he thought front wheel drive and all wheel drive have the same feature. That was really a big mistake. Should we ask the attorney about this?
    edited February 2017

The car Sienna 2017 AWD miss lounge seating, and power third-row seat. moreover, in the paper, it said "smart key system with push button start," what i understand is it can start the engine from far distance, however, my key cannot do it.
    ellie_07 said:

The car Sienna 2017 AWD miss lounge seating, and power third-row seat. moreover, in the paper, it said "smart key system with push button start," what i understand is it can start the engine from far distance, however, my key cannot do it.
    When they show up with the car, it's up to you to inspect it, before signing the papers.

Your perception of the smart key system is incorrect. That is not the same as remote start.

Have you called the dealer to see what they can do? Seems premature to contact an attorney before checking with the dealer.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

No, I think you're confusing that with "remote start".

Lounge seating is an available option on the Limited--it doesn't have to be paired with AWD, looks like.So if you didn't buy the Limited, then you wouldn't have seen that option list. If you did buy the Limited, then the salesperson goofed not showing you that option list.

I wonder if you could swap out those seats from a wrecked one at some point?

I guess you could work something out with the dealer to get you into the van you wanted but it's probably going to cost you a few thousand to do that.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    Yeah, "keyless start" implies a button, but you need to be in the car (usually pressing the brake to start). "Remote start" would be the ability to start the car from a distance. Sounds like the dealership should have had a 10 minute new owner lesson to go over the features.
  • newcarbluesnewcarblues Member Posts: 1
    I bought a Ford Edge Sport in November and the dealership had to bring it down from Folsom. I basically purchased it sight unseen. The car arrived 4 days after I had signed the paperwork and sold them my Audi S5. Upon receiving the vehicle I drove it home and parked it. I have a work truck and things were busy so I didn't get to drive the car until two days later. When I jumped in the vehicle my left butt check hit a hard spot so I investigated it and then brought it in to the dealer. The dealer was in agreement that this was a defect. The service advisor took a picture (which was useless) and sent it to Ford. Ford saw a light streak in the photo and claimed it was water damage. The dealer ended up taking charge and I'm still waiting for a replacement 3 months later. Being single I hadn't really considered the rear seats but one day a friend of mine had her son jump in the back and the boy said almost immediately that the seat was hard. I couldn't believe it. There were hard spots in various places again. I took it to the dealer and again they agreed it was a factory defect and sent pictures to Ford (the pictures are apparently a formality). This time Ford said it was the heating element and that they are all that way. I told them then why is my passenger seat perfect with no lumps? That confused them. Apparently they had gone out on the lot and checked numerous vehicles and they all had these hard lumps (apparently Ford builds seats that you feel the heating element?). I don't believe Ford would make a seat that has hard lumps in them - especially since the passenger seat is perfect. I believe Ford had a bad batch of foam or possibly installation problems and don't want to pursue it because the recall would be enormous. Ford has yet to send an actual representative out to investigate a problem that can't be solved by looking at a photo. This is the first new car I have purchased and the dealership has been very good but I have lost all trust in Ford at this point. This brings me to my last point of now having complete buyers remorse because I don't have confidence Ford will honor any other warranty items should they occur and I don't want the vehicle anymore. Can you please help me with some options. Lemon Law or perhaps Class Action Law suit come to mind. I really don't know.
  • NathanCrumbackNathanCrumback Administrator Posts: 508

I bought a Ford Edge Sport in November and the dealership had to bring it down from Folsom. I basically purchased it sight unseen. The car arrived 4 days after I had signed the paperwork and sold them my Audi S5. Upon receiving the vehicle I drove it home and parked it. I have a work truck and things were busy so I didn't get to drive the car until two days later. When I jumped in the vehicle my left butt check hit a hard spot so I investigated it and then brought it in to the dealer. The dealer was in agreement that this was a defect. The service advisor took a picture (which was useless) and sent it to Ford. Ford saw a light streak in the photo and claimed it was water damage. The dealer ended up taking charge and I'm still waiting for a replacement 3 months later. Being single I hadn't really considered the rear seats but one day a friend of mine had her son jump in the back and the boy said almost immediately that the seat was hard. I couldn't believe it. There were hard spots in various places again. I took it to the dealer and again they agreed it was a factory defect and sent pictures to Ford (the pictures are apparently a formality). This time Ford said it was the heating element and that they are all that way. I told them then why is my passenger seat perfect with no lumps? That confused them. Apparently they had gone out on the lot and checked numerous vehicles and they all had these hard lumps (apparently Ford builds seats that you feel the heating element?). I don't believe Ford would make a seat that has hard lumps in them - especially since the passenger seat is perfect. I believe Ford had a bad batch of foam or possibly installation problems and don't want to pursue it because the recall would be enormous. Ford has yet to send an actual representative out to investigate a problem that can't be solved by looking at a photo. This is the first new car I have purchased and the dealership has been very good but I have lost all trust in Ford at this point. This brings me to my last point of now having complete buyers remorse because I don't have confidence Ford will honor any other warranty items should they occur and I don't want the vehicle anymore. Can you please help me with some options. Lemon Law or perhaps Class Action Law suit come to mind. I really don't know.

Hi newcarblues, I'm sorry to hear about the rollercoaster ride you have been on with Ford and the seat issues. It definitely sounds like an issue that Ford should address. I would recommend looking up the Lemon Laws for your state (they can vary from state to state). As for a class action lawsuit, you would need to find a group of people that are experiencing similar issues. Like you mentioned, it could be a small batch of the vehicles. Both of these might warrant seeking legal counsel. You may find it necessary to reach out to Ford (corporate) directly and try to escalate the issue. It looks like their customer service number is: 1 (800) 392-3673.

Let me know if that helps!
    Edmunds Moderator
  • danhanesdanhanes Member Posts: 9
    Hello,

I just purchased a vehicle a couple days ago, I signed all the papers but did not take delivery because the package I wanted was not installed onto the vehicle. Next day, they were missing a few accessories and requesting me to take delivery first. I declined and told them I do not want to take a vehicle without the package installed. Dealer now ask if I do not take possession, they will have to void the contract. Can they do this? Is there a time frame I need to take delivery?

Hi @danhanes, great question! Technically, to complete the transaction in most states, you would need to take delivery of the vehicle. If you still want the car but it's missing a few options/accessories, I would request to have everything that is "owed" to you be put on a "Due Bill". This is a document showing that the dealership has obligations or promises to fulfill. Make sure it is signed not only by you but by a manager. You should get a copy of the Due Bill.

Technically, if you don't take delivery of the vehicle, they could void the contract but if it is just coming down to what you mentioned, go the due bill route.

Edmunds Moderator
    @NathanCrumback I see got it. Do I have the right to void the contract? It is in CA.
    It can get a little tricky at this point but technically, you could probably walk away with out taking delivery and be fine. I would just tell the dealer you are no longer interested and make sure they prove the paperwork has not been processed.
    Edmunds Moderator
    @NathanCrumback thank you. So they agreed to null/void the warranty if the accessories did not arrive. Im just worried about the paperwork process. Do you mean processed through DMV?
    Ok, great! Yes, the DMV and the bank. Since there are multiple departments within the dealership that process all the paperwork, I would just confirm that nothing has been processed.
    Edmunds Moderator
    @NathanCrumback Thanks!
    I talked to the finance department and seems the paperwork was sent...but they still agreed to void the contract. What happens if the paperwork was processed even though I didn't sign and take delivery?
    danhanes said:

I talked to the finance department and seems the paperwork was sent...but they still agreed to void the contract. What happens if the paperwork was processed even though I didn't sign and take delivery?

If you didn't sign the paperwork, then it cannot be processed, as it is not a valid contract.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Sorry meant to say paperwork was signed, but not the waiver(pre inspection) before taking delivery.
    This is a great example of why smart stores will always "roll" the car at the time of the sale. Buyer's Remorse can be a terrible thing.
  • lucylou2lucylou2 Member Posts: 3
    bought a new jeep grand cherokee end of dec 2016. 2016 model- great end of year deal. did not test drive as I had at other dealers, same model. signed papers, out of lot felt a shudder. many trips and weeks later, we negotiated a trade on new 2017 same model. they could not locate a 2016 at that point. (GM, head of serrvice did not feel the shudder, the tech who drove w me without them did). I am paying more of course, which does not make me happy. got the new 2017 this week- ordered from factory. drove for 2 days before signing. all good, better, smoother ride. signed papers and 15 miles from dealer, it died. towed back to dealer. no reason from them yet. i am done w jeep and want all money back. do i have any recourse? they were not willing to give money back on first car. don't want to deal with this any more.
    bought a new jeep grand cherokee end of dec 2016. 2016 model- great end of year deal. did not test drive as I had at other dealers, same model. signed papers, out of lot felt a shudder. many trips and weeks later, we negotiated a trade on new 2017 same model. they could not locate a 2016 at that point. (GM, head of serrvice did not feel the shudder, the tech who drove w me without them did). I am paying more of course, which does not make me happy. got the new 2017 this week- ordered from factory. drove for 2 days before signing. all good, better, smoother ride. signed papers and 15 miles from dealer, it died. towed back to dealer. no reason from them yet. i am done w jeep and want all money back. do i have any recourse? they were not willing to give money back on first car. don't want to deal with this any more.
    The short answer is no, you can't get your money back, because the vehicle requires a repair.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I think it's important to start off on the right foot here. While it is very disappointing to have to repair a new car, that is why we have warranties. If Rolls Royce or Mercedes thought their cars would never break down, they wouldn't offer warranties---but they do.

This incident might be a one-time fix and then you can enjoy the car as intended. If the car continues to be troublesome, then, at that time, you can resort to the Lemon Laws in your state. There's no harm in you investigating those laws now, but it does seem premature.
    thank you.
  • jasna_adulovicjasna_adulovic Member Posts: 1
    Palmer Dodger Chrysler Ram and Jeep in Alpharetta-
    If I could give zero stars I would. Bought a car there on Thursday, promised me one thing after another. First, said it was no problem getting me tint, then would get me a second key and last but not least, took the car to the back for an hr to get cleaned, comes back out with only tire shine and wheels wiped off. Who are you kidding? Worked out getting the car when I came back to bring my trade in today. And took 200$ off the car because I said I would get my own tint instead of just two windows that was given by manager. I go to take my trade in today and find WATER DAMAGE underneath the trunk with different car parts floating in it. WORST NIGHTMARE EVER. DO NOT GO HERE. They are a scam. I work finances myself at another dealership and this is the worst business I have ever seen. I feel bad for our salesman Tony, great guy, but this is a joke.
  • gmlnh17gmlnh17 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a brand new Honda CRV LX 2017 a couple of days ago. But I have found that the highway mileage is only 24 mpg, not as it is marked as 31 mpg for highway, or not even close to the 26 mpg for city drive . So, I suspect that this car is defective. Can I return this car to the dealer or exchange another one? if yes, can you kindly give us advice about how to do that?
    I hope you didn't check your gas mileage with your first tank of gas? Often the tanks aren't completely filled at the time of delivery. Also, for some reason Hondas seem to get better gas mileage after a few thousand miles are put on. I have noticed this with the new Hondas we have owned.

Lastly, I have NEVER been able to attain the mileage posted on the stickers. Others may have better results?
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    I haven't had a Honda but as Isell suggests I always wait a few thousand miles before having any possible concerns about MPG, and then I would have to try and get driving conditions as close as possible to EPA testing.

( I almost always get better then EPA mileage on highway)