Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Saturn Outlook Catalytic Converter Issues

jeremy03021836jeremy03021836 Member Posts: 6
edited October 2012 in Saturn
We purchased our 2009 Outlook in 2010 to accommodate our growing family. Approx. 1 year after purchase, the car had to be placed into service to replace the timing belt, the crank shaft and the crank shaft bearing. Being only one two years old, I thought it was crazy that this level of service would need to be done. Nevertheless, we moved forward, keeping the car and not really having any problems until recently - other than the shifting and acceleration (I will never understand this transmission). However, the c/e light is now on, and GM has no idea why. The motor makes a rattling, propeller like sound upon starting and now the smell of gasoline is thick when idling. I am guessing its the converter causing a rich mix but really have no clue. I have taken it to GM, as well as other independent muffler shops but no one is willing to take on this project. This car was not designed for a weekend mechanic. Just to change the front light bulb (yes, we have had to do this as well) requires the removing of either the front tire and wheel wells, or the front end. GM really outdid themselves with this one. Other than the issues above this has been an ok car and I don't want to trade-in or sell. Any chance anyone else has had this same type of problem?
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Good morning jeremy03021836,

We're sorry that there is some trouble with getting the CEL addressed; if you would like for us to follow up on your visit with your dealership, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (including your name and Edmunds username, contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your dealership).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • Options
    jeremy03021836jeremy03021836 Member Posts: 6
    I have an update, if anyone out there is interested.

Finally found a muffler shop willing to take on this task. Turns out, the manifold is busted and will have to be replaced - outside of warranty of course.

So, in the three years we have had our Outlook, we have replaced or repaired the following:
    1. Timing Chain
    2. Crank Shaft
    3. Crank Shaft Bearing
    4. Exhaust Manifold
    5. Front head lamp - (maybe the biggest nightmare of them all.)

I am really hoping GM learned some lessons from this specific model, or even the platform as a whole.

I haven't lost faith in General Motors - I don't think my affection for the Silverado will ever change. I will probably stick to the 1/2 ton pickup though and not get adventurous with other models in their lineup.

Thanks to anyone who took the time to read and empathize (or criticize).

J
  • Options
    nomoorgm4menomoorgm4me Member Posts: 6
    I have the same vehicle with the same problem. Dealership cannot find problem, and keeps telling me it's the converters.
  • Options
    I sent a message to GM, no response.
  • Options
    ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655

I have the same vehicle with the same problem. Dealership cannot find problem, and keeps telling me it's the converters.

Exactly which problem to you have?
  • Options
    I posted all of th problems. Dealership has not been able to figure it out yet.
  • Options
    Look under this title: 2009 Saturn Outlook Total exhaust system/Computer Codes
  • Options
    The manifold is not busted.