Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Celica Engine Problems

2»

Comments

• peterpan99peterpan99 Member Posts: 65
    Did you scan the engine? What failure codes show up?

Anyone trying to troubleshoot or fix cars should buy an engine scanner cheap like $20 in eBay. Then at least you have some ideas what failures are and possible root cause.

If the engine just die instantly and totally, fuel starving is very likely. Check and make sure the fuel pump is working and the wiring has signals to the pump.

Take the 4 plugs out. Hook them into the plug connectors and crank the engine. All 4 plugs should give sparks. If there are glitches in the electrical system,then engine would run rough but would not die totally.

Good luck
    Could be any of the smaller vacuum hoses not plugged in or leaking.

Check all those quarter-inch vacuum hoses.
    Found out MAF should be cleaned only with contact cleaner or any MAF cleaner that leaves no residue.

Carburetor cleaner and WD-40 all leave lubricants which screw up the sensor reading.
  • dancelicadancelica Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone. So I've had a 96 Toyota Celica St for about three years now and almost any problem I've had, I could fix but this one is puzzling. So here's the story, About three weeks ago, while I was driving home from work, i huge tractor trailer went by me on the highway and the wind caused my hood to fly up and bend at the middle. I pulled over and while I was trying to fix the problem, a guy pulled over and said all I had to do was tie the hood down until I got home, he said he had some rope and we tied my hood down. Then, I get out on the highway and my Ignition sticks. So my car is constantly gaining speed and I'm breaking the speed limit by 100, so I pulled over, slammed on the brakes as hard as I could and when It wouldn't stop, I had to shut my car off. The result was a loud pop and exhaust pouring out the front. I fixed the hood and got it back home. Now the big problem: for the past week my car has only started when it was hot enough outside but when it's cold in the morning the car acts like it' starting but never does. Today, after I thought it was the distributor cap and button, I bought a new set, installed the parts and as I'm driving down the road, I noticed while it was idle, the engine would shake, like it's about to shut off. The RPM's don't move or anything and the check engine light is on. Does anyone have any ideas?
  • basscelicabasscelica Member Posts: 2
    Hi I am currently experiencing trouble with my car which includes it idling at low RPMS and dying out. I tried resetting my ECU but I don't know if that worked. I reset because I put an aftermarket air filter and a brand new mass airflow sensor. The codes I am throwing include intake air temp. signal, the airflow meter sensor, and the switch signal code. Does anyone have any idea if this problem is one thing or individual things that need to be fixed?
  • doolinator92doolinator92 Member Posts: 1
    Hi guys
    I have a 2000 Celica GTS and I can feel the engine fluttering when I'm idle at a light, is this normal?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372

Hi guys
    I have a 2000 Celica GTS and I can feel the engine fluttering when I'm idle at a light, is this normal?

I guess it depends what you mean by "fluttering". Is it idling rough, or are you describing some other type of feeling? When you accelerate away from the light, everything seem normal?
  • harleyhallowharleyhallow Member Posts: 2
    A few weeks ago, my 94 celica wouldnt start right after i drove it until it cooled down, so i brought it to my shop and replaced my fuel pump, coil & ignitor and had it tuned up. Car always starts now, but after about 15 minutes of driving it, gets hot and wants to die out unless above 2k rpms.  putters below 1k rpms I really don't know what to do next, can someone help me figure this out
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Stalling problems can be tricky, especially without diagnostic equipment hooked up. Some of the easy things you can check would be:

vacuum leaks
    drop in fuel pressure (fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, clogged fuel filter).

Here's a little TUTORIAL that shows you how to extract trouble codes on your 1994 OBD-I onboard diagnostic system ("normal" OBD-II scan tools won't work).