Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

97 vw jetta 2.0 Engine codes 171 and 1476

lchristensen1lchristensen1 Member Posts: 3
edited April 2017 in Volkswagen
I have replaced pcv valve it had yellow smudge coming out,and it also it had no hoses coming out air filter cabin so we put them on I'm not positive they are in the proper place can't find a vacuum diagram It runs good no rough idle or stalling no Symptoms that would come with those codes But I can't pass smog because of those codes I don't know what to do

Answers

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Given those two codes together, I'm going to guess it's the EVAP cannister purge valve. This is a common problem on your type of car and a sticking or leaking valve will definitely throw both those codes.

I can't say it's the right answer, but it's an educated guess, so unless you want to take it to a qualified technician, this is the best we can do for you from this distance. Good luck with it.
  • lchristensen1lchristensen1 Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2017
    I have replaced the purge valve, If i have made the proper repairs Will the codes clear right away or do you have to drive it for a certain amount of miles?