Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

looking for performance chip or module for 2011 Camry!!!

jbethel8jbethel8 Member Posts: 1
edited April 2017 in Toyota
I'm trying to find a performance chip for my 2011 Toyota Camry XLE V6..3.5L. I need help with finding one so I can add a little bit more horsepower to my car. Can anyone help?

To add, I already have an exhaust, headers and cold air intake.

Comments

• Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    I would find a good dyno shop and see what they can do. Except for some performance cars, the "chips" that are advertised typically do nothing. If you're on a site that lists chips for all makes and models, it's a scam. A dyno and a computer-based engine management system tool is typically needed to fine-tune the engine settings to improve performance.
  • Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    Every time I see someone start down this path I see them spend money on a lot of stuff that provides very little benefit. The "cold air" intake for one example. Time and again I see someone relocate the air inlet from inside of a fender to under the hood. Under the hood the majority of the air has already passed through the radiator and AC condenser which would raise its temperature before directing it into the engine thus making it warmer instead of colder than air that flowed into the engine from underneath a fender.

To prove if a cold air system actually provided a benefit, testing under differing engine loads and at various ambient temperatures should be done both before and after the kit is installed. If more people actually did that correctly, you would see fewer people recommending these and similar "upgrades..."

As far as a performance chip goes, the short story is they usually aren't street legal as any software changes are supposed to be presented to the EPA so that the vehicle can be retested under the FTP to make sure that the emissions levels from the vehicle remain within the testing standards that the vehicle was certified for. Skipping that step renders any software changes as emissions tampering.
  • Options
    Here's an example of the performance tuning that can be done with some cars (here, BMW). Problem is, nobody I know of does it for the Toyota 3.5 V6:
    https://www.dinancars.com/product/d900-30tb-dinan-stage-1-performance-engine-software-boost-upgrade-for-bmw-e90-e92-e93-335i-e82-135i-n54/
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    Unless you have a turbo, I doubt there is any chip for a Toyota that will make a difference.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    A turbocharger + stand alone ECU and other mods (injectors, sensors, etc) ---that'll give you serious power increases but will also be so expensive you may want to consider just investing all the money into a faster car to begin with.
  • Options
    kyfdx said:

Unless you have a turbo, I doubt there is any chip for a Toyota that will make a difference.

Good point. That BMW modification is for a factory turbo engine. If the stock engine has no turbo, a 'chip' is going to make just about no difference.
  • Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    texases said:

Good point. That BMW modification is for a factory turbo engine. If the stock engine has no turbo, a 'chip' is going to make just about no difference.

Well until you actually measure what is coming out of the tailpipe. Getting an engine to run well is one thing, getting it to be "clean" something quite different. Getting both clean and good performance takes a lot of hard work that isn't being put into most aftermarket modifications. Simply making the engine run richer, and cranking in a little extra spark timing can easily make a noticeable difference in performance, but the emissions levels take a serious hit.