Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

noise in front left drivers side sounds like flat spot on tire

petep1430petep1430 Member Posts: 3
edited April 2017 in Mercury
I have a noise on drivers side front end sounds like flat spot on tire.I had the new tires rotated also change the front bearings twice.It starts around 10 mph then continues around 40 to 50 mph.When im going 60 70mph you cant hear it.I also had the warning light come on a while back to have the drive train serviced.I had it checked multiple times and cant find anything. I had the tranny serviced new selinoids. Frayed wire in tranny.new wiring harnas,New rad,new alt,tuneup w/wires,new coil,brakes,and it goes on and on. anyone help.Please!! Thanks

Answers

• petep1430petep1430 Member Posts: 3
    2008 mercury mountaineer 115,000 awd v6
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You'd have to pay closer attention to this noise to answer a few questions---is this noise regularly "rotational"--in other words, as you speed up the noise remains regular...but faster...and conversely when you slow down, etc etc.

Or is it irregular, with little rhythm to it, more like a rattle?

For a regular, speed-related noise, one looks to the tire, hub, axle joint or bearings...for irregular, things like sway bar bushings, strut mounts, that sort of thing.
  • petep1430petep1430 Member Posts: 3
    Its more like when im starting out slow between 10 to 15 mph nothing.around 20 to 50 mph it gets louder but the sound tops out.When i hit 50 to 70 mph i dont hear it.More like a rhythm.Almost like a flat spot on tire.the tires are fairly new 6 months old.I had the tire high speed balanced.I had mechanics test drive and they dont know.Im gonna have all the tires balanced again. also gonna have the alignment checked again to see if the tire is riding the outside edge.I guess I have to go through the process.So we will see what happens.Thanks for your input.
    Noises like this can be very difficult to pin down. Sometimes mechanics use remote microphones to locate the source.
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    CV joint?
    The poster didn't mention noise while turning, which usually makes any CV joint noise a lot worse.