Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2016 VW Golf SE LEASE / RESIDUAL, post-cheating value

marc2onimarc2oni Member Posts: 1
edited October 2016 in Volkswagen
Hello. I leased a 2016 Golf SE TSI 4dr auto, with Bi-Exon lights and the collision/safety package back on January 1, 2016. I have noticed that since then the value on gas-powered VWs has gone down, albeit not as much as the diesels due to the clean-diesel scandal. The residual value of my car will not be what it states on the contract, significantly lowering the chance of me purchasing the car when the lease is up. MY QUESTION: After speaking with a VW dealer today they recommended I contact VW corporate and ask if I can have my residual lowered, which would lower my lease payment slightly. Any recommendations, advice, insight into this call I hope to make next week? I realize it's unlikely they'll change it, but I figure it couldn't hurt to try. Thank you for an help in advance.

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Your lease is a contract. You can't make adjustments, after you've signed it. Plus, you are only 10 months into your lease. How can you know what it will be worth at lease end, over two years from now?

Also, lowering your residual would increase your payment, not lower it. Don't waste your time.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• saratogastevesaratogasteve Member Posts: 186
    Anyone know where all these buy back VW cars are going and how I would acquire one? I was thinking of having one transported to Europe, a Golf GTI, using it while on holiday and leaving it with my sister who lives in France and would love an upgrade. If the price was right, I'd love to make it work. Not sure if the car meets European clean air standards or not - but I think it's less demanding there than it is in Calif.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,029

Anyone know where all these buy back VW cars are going and how I would acquire one? I was thinking of having one transported to Europe, a Golf GTI, using it while on holiday and leaving it with my sister who lives in France and would love an upgrade. If the price was right, I'd love to make it work. Not sure if the car meets European clean air standards or not - but I think it's less demanding there than it is in Calif.

The buy back cars won't be available for resale, to the best of my knowledge. I'll let my co-host, @kyfdx, chime in on this as well.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Michaell said:

The buy back cars won't be available for resale, to the best of my knowledge. I'll let my co-host, @kyfdx, chime in on this as well.
    Anything not approved for a fix in the US has to be destroyed/recycled. It's part of the settlement. They can't be re-sold or exported.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator