Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 CX-5 Transfer Box and Transmission

dinosaur_daddinosaur_dad Member Posts: 4
edited April 2017 in Mazda
Was driving my 2014 CX-5 two days ago, when suddenly the car just fell out of drive into neutral and all of the warning lights including check engine, AT problem etc. came on. This car only has 33k miles. Towed to dealer, says there's a problem with the transfer box, can be repaired under warranty (I bought it certified/used). Geez that's a pretty major repair, not to mention it could have caused a huge accident if I was on the freeway. Anyone else have any input/examples on this one? Really makes me uncomfortable that something so fundamental could be defective.

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I've heard of CX-9 transfer case problems but not with the CX-5. Having bought it used, I wonder if the previous owner missed some maintenance or if a simple leak turned into a major disaster?

Generally these have been pretty good cars--not exceptional but good. JD Power gives the powertrain a very good reliaiblity rating.
  • dinosaur_daddinosaur_dad Member Posts: 4
    turns out that the ENTIRE TRANSMISSION will be replaced via warranty. Wow. Still don't know exactly what the cause of this was.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well that's why all manufacturers have warranties--even Mercedes, Porsche and Bentley. Things go wrong now and then.