Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2002 Mercury Sable heater goes on by itself. Radio stops working

vinohendrix7vinohendrix7 Member Posts: 3
edited May 2017 in Mercury
When I start the car the radio does not work and clock display is not lit. The heater blower goes on high and blows out heat at full blast. I pulled the relay for the blower under the glove and checked it. It is good. I checked all fuses and they are good. Then some days everything works normal. Then one time last week it was all working good and I turned the car off and the radio would not shut off. I had to pull # 17 fuse under hood to shut the radio off. Then I thought maybe the computer needs to be reset. I disconnected the Neg. on battery for 5 minutes and when I started the car everything was normal only for 2 days. Now it's high heat blowing and no radio.
I thought it may be a short but a short is a short and would not work on and off. So can this be a ECU or ECM.
Right now in So. Cal it is warm. So I pulled the blower relay from the inside fuse box just to keep the heat from blowing. I'll do without the radio till I fix this problem.

With the radio working when it should not I gave the sable a new name, “Christine”) Any suggestions are very much appreciated. Thank you

Best Answer

Answers

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    What model Mercury? Year?

You may want to check the battery connections at "all" ends (firewall, starter, etc.) while waiting for responses in here.

How old is the battery?
  • vinohendrix7vinohendrix7 Member Posts: 3
    Thank you Stever and Mr. Shiftright.
    It is a 2002 Sable. The battery is only 2 years old. I did a scan on the car. I have a OBD scanner and no codes came up. I will follow the battery connections and repost the results. But am I right about a short. If its a short nothing would work or would it be sometimes it does and sometimes it does not.
  • paulajames408paulajames408 Member Posts: 1
    Same exact thing is happening with my 2001 Sable. I had the control panel replaced and still does it. Could it b the air door actuator?