Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,162
    It's all about the price. BMW can get quite expensive past manufacturer's warranty. But they also charge pretty penny for extended one, too. So do I want to spend over two grand for just a chance that I'll get those two grand back if the air conditioner breaks in year 5? Also, would it really ruin me if I had to pay out-of-pocket? There are several decent independent mechanics specializing in BMW repairs in my metro area. They aren't particularly cheap, but they know what they're doing. So I pay around half (sometimes more) what I'd pay at the dealer and I get the car fixed. BTW, I just had my first out-of warranty failure on my wagon - needed a new coil pack. One failed, but I opted to replace all six and also let them put new spark plugs. About $800 total, plus $60 Uber rides to work and back. Still way less than the extra two years of warranty I would have bought - the warranty would expire around six months from now. As you all know, I'm getting a new car by then. Got the production number already, still waiting for a VIN and loan signing - coming in a week or two.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,498
    karhill1 said:

So, for an expected payout of $800, the customer will perhaps pay $2,400. . . .As with all bets, the house (dealer) wins.

And yet people buy them. Some inhabit this board. Go figure.

Thanks for a post that brings actual information -- much appreciated.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    edited May 2017

karhill1 said:

So, for an expected payout of $800, the customer will perhaps pay $2,400. . . .As with all bets, the house (dealer) wins.

And yet people buy them. Some inhabit this board. Go figure.

Thanks for a post that brings actual information -- much appreciated.

They buy it, because $800 is an average payout in the example. There is a decent chance that you'll get nothing whatsoever and a very small chance you'll get more than $2400. People buy that chance. They get sold because "it is only" $45 per month (added some interest on 5-yr. loan), which becomes money already accounted for in the budget and written off. The pain of having to come up with $1000, 2000, or God save $5000 cash at once, seems unbearable to those who buy those warranties. To me it's the same money and I'd rather keep it on chance I won't need to use it. Those who buy these warranties, would likely have spent those two grand on something else and have nothing in the bank when the lightning strikes, so if they have to pay $45 per month extra for the "peace of mind", they'll do it. They're responsible enough to make planned payments, they're just too weak to resist buying something when money is available. I know the kind. That mindset has nothing to do with their actual earnings (income). No matter how much they make, they'll find a way to spend it before it even makes to their bank account. For them, extra $45 per month for not having to scramble, is a godsend. I can't live like that, but apparently enough people do, so with skilled sales force at F&I departments of dealerships and appliance stores, extended warranties sell well.

Also, a small percentage of buyers buy time saved, as in case of the issue, they don't have to think about it - they just go to the dealer (or other garage that is on the list), don't have to think whether the quote is reflecting the real need. Saves them time and hassle. For steep price, IMHO, but if they value it that much, then fine. As long as you know what you're buying and for how much, it's fine.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,024
    And then there are those of us who just sign up for a new car payment before the factory warranty runs out... ;)

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    The few...the brave...the chosen....
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    ab348 said:

And then there are those of us who just sign up for a new car payment before the factory warranty runs out... ;)

lol and that is me if at all possible and makes sense.

OTOH
    karhill1 said:

Generally I agree, but there are exceptions. If I had a 3 year old Mercedes, bmw, Audi, and I was doing 12000 miles a year, and I loved the car and wanted to keep it for 3 more years, I might just think that since I am buying out the car so still have about $25000 invested in it, I might rest easier paying $800 a year to have the peace of mind of knowing I am not going to have a few major repairs in a year that could cost $3000 or more. I don't think I would do it but I know some people worry more than others...peace of mind is worth something.

The example Karhill gave may be a bit flawed.........few people will come out with an average repair bill of $800. I bought that full replacement insurance and it cost about $60 a year. The new car was worth about $25000 more than a depreciated MB E400 would have been. A lot of people pay $60 a year and don't collect anything, but the insurance company still makes a profit....it is just collective buying power and odds. The warranty company doesn't make a profit on every sale but they do overall.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

ab348 said:

... or before first oil change (Mike's brother) :wink:

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    dino001 said:

I used to buy extended warranties on some products. Both it for a car, dishwasher, TV set and a new overhead microwave, tire road hazard coverage. The prices did not appear that high, in comparison, always lower than in many other places for same type of coverage. Then, after about 10 years or so, I made a quick tally of how much I spent on the warranties vs. how much benefit I cashed out in form of value of repairs. Wasn't even close and I did cash out on couple of occasions. So, I stopped buying them.

I have enough money now to bear several hundreds, or thousands of any repair and have enough emotional strength to bear a thought of doing so. I won't be happy about it, but it won't ruin me. It may ruin my day, but not my finances.

It all goes to an issue of what is purpose of insurance - to me it's financial a security provided in case of low probability-high loss event, such as catastrophic illness, significant damage/destruction of a house, car. Not a $500, or even $3000 repair of a vehicle, or a refrigerator. Same thing goes for minor medical treatment, by the way. Not try to get political, but our problems with healthcare system can be rooted (in large degree, anyway) to an attitude that a doctor, or medication should somehow be free, just because old medical plans were telling us that was the case. "All you can eat free medical buffet" insurance is going away, thankfully, but that was one of the reasons why the prices rocketed up. I remember, when I was switched by my employer from that to a high deductible plan (happened a while ago) with extra consideration in form of HSA match funds, I wasn't thrilled. But today I think, it's the best way to go - introduces some reality check on the every day basis and still provides enough safety for catastrophic situations (as much as the old plans did - you only know how well you're covered when it all happens). I have a friend, who was paying ungodly premiums for his low-deductible plan (the company offered both options) for years, just because his wife couldn't get here head wrapped around the concept of total amount of money spent on premium plus doctors (i.e. money she couldn't see), vs. amounts charged on the bills for her family's doctor's visits (high deductible shows real prices paid, vs. low deductible has those small unrealistic copays). His low deductible premium plus copays difference would have covered the HSA contribution, or even maximum out-of-pocket limit. But the numbers were just too overwhelming for her and emotions (fear of $150 doctor bills, vs. $20 copay with hidden payment in the premium) were just too great. That's, ladies and gentlemen, how you sell insurance or extended warranty. FEAR.

I don't buy extended warranties, or to be more precise I don't buy them at prices offered. I would buy one, but most likely at a price that nobody would sell it to me.

We recently bought an electric pressure washer through Amazon. They offered a four year extended warranty through Square Trade for I think, 26.00 and I bit! Pressure washers can be troublesome and I figured I would spring for the protection. We had a gas pressure washer that was a pain to get started. I would pull that cord dozens of times, spray either into the carb and curse until it finally would start. I loaned it to a neighbor one day (big mistake) and he was washing his dock when it vibrated itself into the lake. He had it fixed but it was even worse after that!
    edited May 2017
    driver100 said:

ab348 said:

lol and that is me if at all possible and makes sense.

OTOH
    karhill1 said:

Generally I agree, but there are exceptions. If I had a 3 year old Mercedes, bmw, Audi, and I was doing 12000 miles a year, and I loved the car and wanted to keep it for 3 more years, I might just think that since I am buying out the car so still have about $25000 invested in it, I might rest easier paying $800 a year to have the peace of mind of knowing I am not going to have a few major repairs in a year that could cost $3000 or more. I don't think I would do it but I know some people worry more than others...peace of mind is worth something.
    You can be sure that those would be priced much higher. Extra 2 or 3 years with extra 50k full boat (say 6y/100k or 7/100), including entertainment electronics, will easily set you back over 3 grand, if not 4, depending on the deductible. If I needed to go and fix my car three times in one year, each time for say $1000, I would probably not own it for much longer.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• rbirns1rbirns1 Member Posts: 311
    edited May 2017
    Not sure where to post, but this seems like a good place. I am experienced with leasing cars in NY. My son moved to Missouri (St. Louis/St. Charles), and will soon be leasing a new car of his own. How does leasing in MO differ from NY? For instance, in NY, sales tax is applied to each monthly payment, with the total sum payable at lease inception. How does tax work in MO? Any other differences? Does the dealer handle all registration?
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,057
    rbirns1 said:

Not sure where to post, but this seems like a good place. I am experienced with leasing cars in NY. My son moved to Missouri, and will soon be leasing a new car of his own. How does leasing in MO differ from NY? For instance, in NY, sales tax is applied to each monthly payment, with the total sum payable at lease inception. How does tax work in MO? Any other differences? Does the dealer handle all registration?

I believe that MO taxes the monthly payment, each month.

No information on registration practices. @Kirstie_H - you live in MO, right? Any help?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    As others have expressed with their stories, the value of warranties can vary greatly. Would I pay $20 to cover a $1k high-complexity item for 4 years? Quite likely. Just 1 repair makes that worth it. $20 for a $200 item? No. That is not worth it to me because, by the time I might use that warranty, the same item (or better) is worth $99 on sale so I would just buy a new one.

As for cars: When I had my CTS, I was looking at GM warranties and, IIRC, it was something like $2k to add 1 year to the already pretty good factory warranty. Not worth it. But $2400 to get the Lifetime bumper-to-bumper warranty on my wife's $48k minivan? Yup, I took that. That is a long-term bet but I really can't imagine how I will not come out ahead on that in the end.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

We recently bought an electric pressure washer through Amazon. They offered a four year extended warranty through Square Trade for I think, 26.00 and I bit! Pressure washers can be troublesome and I figured I would spring for the protection. We had a gas pressure washer that was a pain to get started. I would pull that cord dozens of times, spray either into the carb and curse until it finally would start. I loaned it to a neighbor one day (big mistake) and he was washing his dock when it vibrated itself into the lake. He had it fixed but it was even worse after that!

How much is the new washer?

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Amazon seels a variety of them but a decent one is around $150 bucks. These are electric of course.
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    abacomike said:

I agree that LS500 grille is hideous

I keep expecting them to moderate that stupid grill, instead, each year they seem to double down !

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,057
    houdini1 said:

abacomike said:

I keep expecting them to moderate that stupid grill, instead, each year they seem to double down !
    Eventually it will span the entire width of the car .... it is distinctive, however, whether you like it or not.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    driver100 said:

jmonroe said:

@Michaell nice that you do keep with sum of your frends on facebook and Lincton. that is one thing that I do have to joyen Lincton. hope you had an good weekand. have an good up cumming week. going to Canada as you no from CCBA on Thursday! much neaded vacation. mom is doing all of the driving. wish could help out! but as you no cant it is what it is. tried to set up Edmans on my phone it is giving me problems so will only be able to read no postings for me for an little over one week.

I don't know how this place is going to survive without the two of us.

I'm outta here for a week myself starting on Tuesday.

jmonroe
    Well, we will have a lot more cyberspace that we will be able to use.

Both of you have good trips................JMonroe.....where are you going?
    Marco...where in Canada are you going....it is a pretty big country?
    Going to Delray Beach with Mrs. j and my youngest brother and his wife to see our widowed SIL. Our SIL is not feeling well of late but it doesn't seem to be too serious so we figured this would be a good time to visit and enjoy South Florida. My brother was conned, years ago, into one of those time share rip off things so he is getting a place with 2 bedrooms in Pompano Beach and asked if we wanted to come along. I wanted to pay for half of the condo thingy but he won't accept any payback so I will be getting the rental car and picking up a few meal tabs too.

On top of that we will be visiting our niece in Boca and Mrs. j's sister who is visiting her daughter now. They have some things planned so I'll see how that goes.

If we weren't going to be attending so many get togethers this would have been a good time to barge in on @abacomike. That way I could have given you guys a first hand account of the 740i he has been bragging about. Maybe next time. BUT, if Mike could find it in his heart and wallet to take all of us to that expensive steakhouse, I might be able to find a way to pop in. B)

I hope you guys don't burn up all the cyberspace before I get back because I'm sure I'll have some lengthy tales to tell, especially if Mike bites on my proposition. :D

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,432
    JM, make sure to get an Altima as a rental. That way we can have all the fun stories of how Mrs. JM reacts to all the ladies hitting on you!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,254

jmonroe said:

@Michaell nice that you do keep with sum of your frends on facebook and Lincton. that is one thing that I do have to joyen Lincton. hope you had an good weekand. have an good up cumming week. going to Canada as you no from CCBA on Thursday! much neaded vacation. mom is doing all of the driving. wish could help out! but as you no cant it is what it is. tried to set up Edmans on my phone it is giving me problems so will only be able to read no postings for me for an little over one week.

jmonroe

Going to Delray Beach with Mrs. j and my youngest brother and his wife to see our widowed SIL. Our SIL is not feeling well of late but it doesn't seem to be too serious so we figured this would be a good time to visit and enjoy South Florida. My brother was conned, years ago, into one of those time share rip off things so he is getting a place with 2 bedrooms in Pompano Beach and asked if we wanted to come along. I wanted to pay for half of the condo thingy but he won't accept any payback so I will be getting the rental car and picking up a few meal tabs too.

On top of that we will be visiting our niece in Boca and Mrs. j's sister who is visiting her daughter now. They have some things planned so I'll see how that goes.

If we weren't going to be attending so many get togethers this would have been a good time to barge in on @abacomike. That way I could have given you guys a first hand account of the 740i he has been bragging about. Maybe next time. BUT, if Mike could find it in his heart and wallet to take all of us to that expensive steakhouse, I might be able to find a way to pop in. B)

I hope you guys don't burn up all the cyberspace before I get back because I'm sure I'll have some lengthy tales to tell, especially if Mike bites on my proposition. :D

jmonroe

I'll take you and your wife for dinner at the steakhouse!  Name the day!  B)

2021 Genesis G90

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    qbrozen said:

abacomike said:

Regarding a 7 year/75,000 mile extended bumper-to-bumper warranty (3 more years or 27,000 more miles over the basic bb warranty, assuming I drive 12,000 miles per year) it would cost me $5100 if I buy the contract from BMW before my odometer hits 20,000 miles. And remember, that does not include extended service and maintenance which would cost $1500 more. That is quite a chunk of change - agreed?

It might be worthwhile assuming I can hold onto this car until it is almost 2 years old. At that time, I probably will know more about what my future would look like. If the car is running great, I'll make the decision then. If it's not running great - I would hesitate keeping it longer than the basic warranty.

$5k?!? Wow. Such high odds that it will break after the factory warranty ends would make me not buy the car in the first place. 

I'd rather spend the $5K on a run-forever used Honda or Toyota that you keep in the garage in case the BMW breaks down and you need another car. Forget the warranty, with my method, at the end of the car's warranty life if you haven't needed to use the old Honda or Toyota yet, you can still sell them, whereas the warranty will be worthless if you never use it.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    stickguy said:

JM, make sure to get an Altima as a rental. That way we can have all the fun stories of how Mrs. JM reacts to all the ladies hitting on you!

Thanks, I never thought of that. But the one I had as a rental when Mrs. j's Legacy was at the body shop due to a hit and run driver that took out the right front fender was a Back 2015. They probably don't have that year anymore but maybe any Black Altima will work.

Maybe the pros in here can tell me if the body changed all that much since 2015. No wise cracks, I'm talking about the car not me. I never change. :p

jmonroe

Michaell said:

houdini1 said:

abacomike said:

Eventually it will span the entire width of the car .... it is distinctive, however, whether you like it or not.

houdini1 said:
    » show previous quotes
    I keep expecting them to moderate that stupid grill, instead, each year they seem to double
    down !

And I find it looks better if you view the grill looking down a bit. In the view where it looks the worst you are level and see it in all it's gory detail.

abacomike said:

jmonroe said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe said:

jmonroe

jmonroe

Thanks, but I said ALL of us. I can't very well let my brother, his wife and my sickly Delray Beach SIL fend for themselves that night since he is footing the cost of the condo without expecting anything from me. Although I will be picking up a few dinner tabs as I mentioned earlier. He is a big eater but his wife, my other SIL, and Mrs. j eat like birds so anybody that can afford a 740i can easily afford to do that.

I just had a thought...since I will have already laid the ground work for me picking up some dinner tabs, what do you say about when the check comes to the table, I'll play like I have turtle feet and then you grab the check to make me look good. I'm sure everyone will be impressed and comment about how nice of a poster I met on Edmunds.

This can't help but make you look good. :D

jmonroe

Has anyone ever come out ahead buying a timeshare? Why would anyone buy one anyway? I have heard of so many people who take vacations they don't want or go to places they didn't really want to go to...because they had to get their moneys worth from their timeshare.

About extended warranties. I do know a guy who bought a new Jaguar about 15 years ago and he had aone expensive repair after the other right after the warranty...electronics about $4000 and transmission about $5000. He wishes he bought an EW. But, yes, you don't hear about those things happening too opten. I do wonder how much it could cost if a transmission went or some of the really intricate electronics? They wanted $2300 to fix the clutch in the Audi.

driver100 said:

Has anyone ever come out ahead buying a timeshare? Why would anyone buy one anyway? I have heard of so many people who take vacations they don't want or go to places they didn't really want to go to...because they had to get their moneys worth from their timeshare.

No. I really don't think anybody gets their money worth. I have 2 now but because I inherited them. So they cost me nothing up front. However, the yearly maintenance and taxes plus the transfer fees is pretty steep, but not too awful IF you use it. Cheaper than a hotel, and we get to stay in a place far far better than a crappy hotel room. We don't go anywhere we don't want to. I managed to score Costa Rica this year. Going the last week of kids' summer vacation. Last year was Orlando. Year before that was Lake Tahoe and Utah. And there was a Vermont skiing trip in there somewhere. Oh and Aruba last year, too. So we definitely have been using them. 

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

jmonroe said:

jmonroe said:

jmonroe

jmonroe

Thanks, but I said ALL of us. I can't very well let my brother, his wife and my sickly Delray Beach SIL fend for themselves that night since he is footing the cost of the condo without expecting anything from me. Although I will be picking up a few dinner tabs as I mentioned earlier. He is a big eater but his wife, my other SIL, and Mrs. j eat like birds so anybody that can afford a 740i can easily afford to do that.

I just had a thought...since I will have already laid the ground work for me picking up some dinner tabs, what do you say about when the check comes to the table, I'll play like I have turtle feet and then you grab the check to make me look good. I'm sure everyone will be impressed and comment about how nice of a poster I met on Edmunds.

jmonroe

You do realize that Pompano Beach is 2 blocks east of where I live.  The City of Pompano Beach runs east of the Florida Turnpike and I live 1 block west of the Turnpike.

As far as taking your entire family out for dinner at the steakhouse in order to impress you and your relatives - forget it!  Perhaps we could all meet at Chick-Fil-A at the Boca Raton Town Center Mall and that luncheon I will pay for?  

2021 Genesis G90

qbrozen said:

driver100 said:

No. I really don't think anybody gets their money worth. I have 2 now but because I inherited them. So they cost me nothing up front. However, the yearly maintenance and taxes plus the transfer fees is pretty steep, but not too awful IF you use it. Cheaper than a hotel, and we get to stay in a place far far better than a crappy hotel room. We don't go anywhere we don't want to. I managed to score Costa Rica this year. Going the last week of kids' summer vacation. Last year was Orlando. Year before that was Lake Tahoe and Utah. And there was a Vermont skiing trip in there somewhere. Oh and Aruba last year, too. So we definitely have been using them. 

That is the way my brother looks at it too. Nicer places than he would probably get for the same money. He said he wouldn't do it again but he got in about 45 years ago and because of that he gets some pretty good deals if he elects to upgrade his package every so often.

My brother will be passing on his condo rights to his 4 kids. 3 of them will probably consider it a burden but his oldest son who is doing pretty good financially has already offered to buy out his siblings any time they want out.

Like you said, it isn't for most people and I'm not one of them either.

jmonroe

abacomike said:

jmonroe said:

abacomike said:

jmonroe said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe said:

jmonroe

jmonroe

jmonroe

You do realize that Pompano Beach is 2 blocks east of where I live.  The City of Pompano Beach runs east of the Florida Turnpike and I live 1 block west of the Turnpike.

As far as taking your entire family out for dinner at the steakhouse in order to impress you and your relatives - forget it!  Perhaps we could all meet at Chick-Fil-A at the Boca Raton Town Center Mall and that luncheon I will pay for?  

Thanks for that half offer but we just came back from Chick-Fil-A since Mrs. j was afraid to make too much of whatever she would have made for dinner tonight and then had to freeze it (pretty weak excuse if you ask me). Plus, she didn't like the idea of cooking tonight anyway (the real realson). She has gotten kinda wimpy the night before vacations lately.

One of these trips to Delray Beach we will have to get together.

jmonroe

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Question for the mechanical experts (cross posted from CCBA):

The maintenance minder light on our 2011 Pilot chimed on the other day (92,500 miles). It calls for an A13 service which is an oil change (I change the oil filter & rotate the tires every time) and Replace Transmission & Transfer Case Fluid.

I have previously had the Transmission & Transfer Case Fluid (as well as the front & rear differential fluid) drained and filled at 37,289 miles (on 7/2/2013) and then at 72,434 miles (on 1/5/2016). Should I get it done again just so I am on the maintenance minder's schedule?

The maintenance minder hasn't called for the timing belt/water pump/tensioner yet. I've done some online research that says most Pilots of the same generation require this to be done at 105,000 miles.

I last did a coolant drain/fill & brake fluid drain/fill at 64,468 miles (on 7/7/2015). Should I have that done again?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Behavioral Economics 101

Buying an extended warranty does not seem to be rational. The basic bumper-to-bumper assurance-type manufacturer's warranty is 3 years/36k miles. Move up to a premium brand and it is 4 yrs/50k miles. Fair enough, the longer warranty suggests superior quality and reliability.

But is it really? A Hyundai/Kia brand automobile comes with a 5yr/60k mile assurance warranty and at a price $5,000-$15,000 cheaper than a mainstream or premium brand. On top of that, according to the JD Power surveys the Hyundai/Kia brand is consistently equal to or surpasses the premium and luxury brands in quality.

So, if a car buyer was really concerned about reliability and dependability why wouldn't s/he buy a Hyundai/Kia product with a longer assurance-type warranty, whose costs are included in the sales price, and have that peace of mind that an extended warranty buys.

Simply put, its behavioral economics at work. i.e. consumers are working against their own self-interests, they would rather buy a service-type warranty at extra costs rather than buy the product with a longer assurance-type warranty in the first place. A perversive concept but it works to the advantage of extended warranty sellers. I believe dealers call it a profit center. In reality it should be called the obscene profit center.

bwia said:

Behavioral Economics 101

Buying an extended warranty does not seem to be rational. The basic bumper-to-bumper assurance-type manufacturer's warranty is 3 years/36k miles. Move up to a premium brand and it is 4 yrs/50k miles. Fair enough, the longer warranty suggests superior quality and reliability.

But is it really? A Hyundai/Kia brand automobile comes with a 5yr/60k mile assurance warranty and at a price $5,000-$15,000 cheaper than a mainstream or premium brand. On top of that, according to the JD Power surveys the Hyundai/Kia brand is consistently equal to or surpasses the premium and luxury brands in quality.

So, if a car buyer was really concerned about reliability and dependability why wouldn't s/he buy a Hyundai/Kia product with a longer assurance-type warranty, whose costs are included in the sales price, and have that peace of mind that an extended warranty buys.

Simply put, its behavioral economics at work. i.e. consumers are working against their own self-interests, they would rather buy a service-type warranty at extra costs rather than buy the product with a longer assurance-type warranty in the first place. A perversive concept but it works to the advantage of extended warranty sellers. I believe dealers call it a profit center. In reality it should be called the obscene profit center.

Who ever said I was rational!  Quite the contrary - when it comes to cars and automobile accessories - irrationality runs in the genetic makeup of my family!   :D

2021 Genesis G90

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,024
    edited May 2017
    Chrysler made the discovery in the 1960s that warranties are more of a marketing tool than a statement about how well the product is made. Their 5/50 warranty did them much good in the market share fight, especially in that era when warranty coverage was generally much shorter than today. Hyundai is simply repeating that tactic. It has nothing to do with how good their product actually is, but rather is about shaping perceptions.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

driver100 said:

You summed up the timeshare industry in a nutshell. I got conned into one a long time ago. Wish I knew then what I know now. The fees continually outpace inflation every year.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    edited May 2017
    ab348 said:

Chrysler made the discovery in the 1960s that warranties are more of a marketing tool than a statement about how well the product is made. Their 5/50 warranty did them much good in the market share fight, especially in that era when warranty coverage was generally much shorter than today. Hyundai is simply repeating that tactic. It has nothing to do with how good their product actually is, but rather is about shaping perceptions.

The best perceptions are shaped out of owner experiences, not marketing mumbo jumbo.

Direct relatives and close friends 2nd hand experiences are valuable too. I tend to avoid products that upset the order of my peace of mind, and stick with companies that stand behind the product to ease any issues that might alter that peace of mind.

Anyone want to compare @graphicguy Cadillac dealer experience (at least 2 different dealers) vs. mine with Audi (two different dealerships as well).

My perception is that when failures are common, rather than rare, a brand tends to show its true colors. Rare problems mean you can afford excellent customer service and still make a profit. Frequent problems mean you have to skimp and deny or minimize claims to stay in business until your next bailout.

So as to not pick on GM, the impression I've gotten from multiple sources about Hyundai/Kia's ultra long warranty, is that they try to find a reason to deny covering anything, whereas my experience at Honda and/or Audi is they'll try to find a reason TO cover your warranty. Sort of like Insurance vs. most good businesses.
    bwia said:

Behavioral Economics 101

I'd rather buy from brands where the warranty isn't of much value or concern. I only kept my last Honda 65,000 miles but any extended warranty would have paid off $0.00 (since Honda covered the faulty transmission and all the other defects were handled within the standard warranty period). If I had one on my Audi A3, it may have paid off about $500, and I'm sure it would have cost more then that, and of course the time-loss of the money for 4 or 5 years. I kept the Audi A3 106,000 miles by the way.

I like long warranties, but it is hard to regret buying a car without a super long warranty with numbers like that. I think long warranties are more believable when a manufacturer is consistent and long-term with that decision to have a long warranty (has it been 20 years for Korean brands?). Gimmicks that Chrysler has engaged in over the years never last, and there is a reason for that.
  • thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,216
    As cars get more and more electronics in them, I don't think an extended warranty is as stupid as @bwia thinks. Especially if you can get it at a good price as I did my HondaCare warranty, bought online. A few electronic hiccups in the 6 years of my warranty will make it worthwhile. Newer technology is not foolproof. To each their own. My extended warranty on my 2002 Civic saved me approximately $200. Of course, I keep cars 10 years or so, which is not the norm on this board.
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
    thebean said:

As cars get more and more electronics in them, I don't think an extended warranty is as stupid as @bwia thinks. Especially if you can get it at a good price as I did my HondaCare warranty, bought online. A few electronic hiccups in the 6 years of my warranty will make it worthwhile. Newer technology is not foolproof. To each their own. My extended warranty on my 2002 Civic saved me approximately $200. Of course, I keep cars 10 years or so, which is not the norm on this board.

Are there extended warranties that last 10 years? I figured 7 was about the best, especially if you drive 12,000 or more miles per year.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I'd venture a guess that anything with those LED dash screens is gonna go north of a grand pretty easily and the price of engine sensors has soared as well. Then there are these relatively new to market cvt or way too many gear speed automatics that are not all proven out yet, as well as the high operating temperature environment of a turbo. Probably depends on how long you keep a vehicle and the price of the warranty. I am leery of extended warranties that don't come from the manufacturer though. Never know if the company will still be in business or who will accept the warranty if a repair is needed.
    edited May 2017
    So my Euro delivery is coming, becoming real. Tour plans are firm, hotel reservations made. Three nights Munich, three night on the French side of the Swiss border (sight see west Switzerland), four nights Avignon (sight see Provance), one night in Nice (Monaco), two nights Milan, back to Munich for two nights.

Still month to go, but got the VIN already, went to the bank to get a preliminary loan approval for a great rate of less than 2 percent (just a fraction). I must have applied at a perfect time, as rated ticked up almost a full percentage point since couple of weeks ago. Still a small hurdle of working with the dealer to actually underwrite the loan, as the title will be issued in three months from now, or even more. I went to the bank just to get a leverage, but perhaps if the dealer's finance guy is good enough, it may just go through. He made just the right noises, when I talked to him last week. The worst case scenario, I may still have to accept their offer, if the bank doesn't bite, but hope not. They have a relationship with BoA, my previous ED loan was from them, too - however, back then I didn't even try to get preapproved at my bank (I thought no title - no loan, period) and went with whatever the dealer got me, paid their markup and refinanced a couple of months later, as the car hit the shores. Hope to skip this part this time and get them at least to leverage it. But it might just work - we will see. Have an appointment for the paper signing next week (has to be done well in advance of actual delivery) and it will all reveal itself then.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Good luck with it all! Sounds like you're rolling a nice, new car with a great trip.
  • thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,216
    andres3 said:

thebean said:

Are there extended warranties that last 10 years? I figured 7 was about the best, especially if you drive 12,000 or more miles per year.
    You're right - I way overstated the warranty. The one I got was for an additional 5 years (up to 8 years) or 100K miles. Since I only have 19K miles in 2.5 years of ownership, the 8 years will be the warranty term. As I recall, the warranty cost just over $1k.

2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
    If all cars had the same dependability they could price all extended warranties the exact same way, as a % of MSRP. Say 4% if it's $1,000 for a $25,000 car.

Of course, standard warranties differ so that would also affect the calculation.

I remember a Tire Shop Chain in San Diego would price their "road hazard warranty" as 10% of the tire cost. Not a bad way to do it. Helped me judge and decide if another competitor's extra coverage was either priced high or low.
    thebean said:

andres3 said:

thebean said:

You're right - I way overstated the warranty. The one I got was for an additional 5 years (up to 8 years) or 100K miles. Since I only have 19K miles in 2.5 years of ownership, the 8 years will be the warranty term. As I recall, the warranty cost just over $1k.
    It it say was $1200, that would be a price I would not dismiss so quickly for extra 5 years/100k. You got a great deal - in my neck of the woods similar coverage would set you back twice as much. Moreover, Florida has some special insurance laws that result in even higher warranty prices than in other places and no ability to bargain (I've been told that multiple times). Again - it's not an absolute (i.e. extended warranty being waste of money), it's just that where I live, it's a bad deal.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

edited May 2017
    andres3 said:

If all cars had the same dependability they could price all extended warranties the exact same way, as a % of MSRP. Say 4% if it's $1,000 for a $25,000 car.

Of course, standard warranties differ so that would also affect the calculation.

I remember a Tire Shop Chain in San Diego would price their "road hazard warranty" as 10% of the tire cost. Not a bad way to do it. Helped me judge and decide if another competitor's extra coverage was either priced high or low.

My absolute anti-favorite is wheel hazard warranty, sold with new cars. It's usually priced at something like 20-25 percent of wheel costs, which is like buying an extra rim upfront just in case you need one in next three or five years. Ridiculous. If you actually bought one, you'd be better off, as you could sell it back for some fraction of the cost. Which reminds me one time I bought a TV extended warranty at an OK price with ability to claim half of that price back after it expired in form of a store credit. That wasn't a bad deal.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

bwia said:

Behavioral Economics 101

Of course, that is faulty logic because you are assuming that warranty coverage is the first and only purchase criteria.

dino001 said:

andres3 said:

My absolute anti-favorite is wheel hazard warranty, sold with new cars. It's usually priced at something like 20-25 percent of wheel costs, which is like buying an extra rim upfront just in case you need one in next three or five years. Ridiculous. If you actually bought one, you'd be better off, as you could sell it back for some fraction of the cost.
    Yeah, it's funny how math skills can sometimes point out a tragically flawed deal. 10% of tire cost is pretty good, that's 40% of a tire on all 4 tires. If you need a new tire, you make out great, if you get a repair or two, you lose, but not too bad.

I think 50% is my threshold. At that point, why not just flip a coin and save the money? Of course, a lot of places like Costco and Tire Rack are now pricing the coverage into the standard all-in-1 pricing.
    dino001 said:

andres3 said:

My absolute anti-favorite is wheel hazard warranty, sold with new cars. It's usually priced at something like 20-25 percent of wheel costs, which is like buying an extra rim upfront just in case you need one in next three or five years. Ridiculous. If you actually bought one, you'd be better off, as you could sell it back for some fraction of the cost.
    I told Audi I didn't want the wheel hazard warranty unless it covered my after-market wheels, since I was always planning on getting after market wheels anyway. It does not, so I declined.
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Just received a warranty offer from Buick* for our 2014 Encore with 1½ years left on the original factory warranty. Here are the plan options:
    --24 months/24,000 miles. $1,819.25 or $99 down + 14 months at $129.71
    --36 months/36,000 miles, $2,627.70 or $99 down + 21 months at $127.00

And here's how they lure you into buying by showing the rather expensive average repair costs (electronic component repair costs are not shown, I wonder if they are covered) for the following items :
    -- $4,510 Engine crank-shaft bearings
    -- $3,049 Transmission
    -- $1,141 Rack and pinion steering
    -- $747 Air conditioning system
    -- $674 Alternator
    -- $631 Fuel pump
    -- $$456 Front control arm
    -- $426 Water pump
    -- $332 Starter
    -- $312 Power window motor
    -- $277 Brake caliper

*And buried in the fine print is the disclaimer that 'these plans are marketed by AMT Warranty Corp's subsidiary, Warrantech Direct, Inc. AMT Warranty Corp. and Wesco are GM-approved providers, but are not related entities of GM or its dealerships.