Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Cost Estimate of Large Dent repair

misslynnemisslynne Member Posts: 2
edited May 2017 in Chevrolet
I'm new here and I apologize if I miss some forum etiquette but any advice would be very appreciated. I have a large dent on my wheel arch. I'm going to the body shop this afternoon but has anyone had something similar repaired and how much did it cost you? the paint really isnt bad. a few minor scratches and some paint transfer. Most of what you see is reflections from the parking deck because I just polished the darn thing two days ago.

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited May 2017
    It's really hard to estimate without a closer inspection. If the bumper also needs repainting then I'm going to guess around $1200 for everything. Also depends on your zip code (labor rates in your area) and how easily the paint can be blended or matched. Another factor is your expectations. Some body shops charge more for a higher standard of work--if you aren't fussy, you can get the job done for less. So that decision on who to choose to do the work depends on the age and mileage on the car.
  • Options
    misslynnemisslynne Member Posts: 2

It's really hard to estimate without a closer inspection. If the bumper also needs repainting then I'm going to guess around $1200 for everything. Also depends on your zip code (labor rates in your area) and how easily the paint can be blended or matched. Another factor is your expectations. Some body shops charge more for a higher standard of work--if you aren't fussy, you can get the job done for less. So that decision on who to choose to do the work depends on the age and mileage on the car.

Thank you for the response! I'm definitely not fussy. All I worry about with the paint is rust. Hopefully the paint won't be too difficult. I've taken good care (until now) by using better washes, waxes, polish, and clay bars. I bought the truck new about 9 months ago.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    On such a new truck I'd get the best repair possible. You don't want the new paint to be deteriorating in a few years, so the key here is excellent prep work and good quality materials.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I agree! If it were an old beater go the economy way on a new truck you'll regret it if you cut corners. they won't be able to save that paint. They will pull it out, bondo it and paint it!
  • Options
    dbs6000dbs6000 Member Posts: 58
    Can't Paintless Dent Removal take care of that?

Looks bad, but they do wonders!

Should be no more than $150.

That said, even if body work was necessary, I'd say no more than $550!

How'd you ultimately take care of it, and for how much?