Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Elantra Engine wire harness chewed by critter

mean1mean1 Member Posts: 15
edited May 2017 in Hyundai
Check engine light came on. Dealer says wired gnawed on. Repairs will be over $2,000. Supposedly the composition of wire coverings are attractive to rodents. Hyundai has to know this is a problem. Shouldn't they bear some responsibility. I had to file a car insurance claim. When dealer replaces wires can't they wrap some better coating over the "tasty" wires. Does Hyundai offer any solution to this problem?

Comments

• thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    Honda sells electrical tape laced with capsaicin. Apparently they don't like hot sauce and that discourages them. 
  • mean1mean1 Member Posts: 15
    Thanks. I did see that on line but how difficult is it to wrap all the various wires when they're attached to the engine. Has anyone done this?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Did you have engine damage because of the chewed wires? I had this problem and the cost, at dealership, was about $300 to repair the wiring. Perhaps yours was chewed to the point that replacement was the only alternative?

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I bet that his was so expensive because they just replaced an entire harness rather than patch it. Depends on where the rodent chomps on it I guess.
  • mean1mean1 Member Posts: 15
    The $2000 quote was to replace entire harness. Now after insurance adjuster looked at it they just need to replace "pigtail" for $600. I still wonder how to avoid a reoccurrence
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Is the vehicle left outside?
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    mean1 said:

Thanks. I did see that on line but how difficult is it to wrap all the various wires when they're attached to the engine. Has anyone done this?

Yes. It is no more difficult to use and do than it is for any other electrical tape. Just be careful what you touch before you wash your hands really good.