Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Terrain (2011) Problems continue

1becky1becky Member Posts: 1
edited June 2017 in GMC

I have NEVER been so frustrated with a vehicle. My 2011 has less than 7000 miles (all my own as I've had it over 3 years and purchased it new) and it continues to give me trouble. I just got it out of the shop the second time for same issue (I would have to get the invoice out to read the full problem) that left it having to be hauled in and now less than two weeks later, I have check engine light and service the stabilitrac message, so I must return again to have it serviced. I am also on my third battery!!! Does anyone have any similar issues or did I really just get a lemon?

Comments

• ifonly4ifonly4 Member Posts: 3

I own a 2012 Terrain and have also experienced the Service Stabilitrak message. The dealer could not recreate the problem. I have filed complaints with GM and NHTSA, not that they care at all but at least it is logged somewhere hopefully. From my research, this appears to be a problem on all GM and GMC SUV's covering many production years and GM continues to ignore the problem. This is a huge liability risk as it appears that the vehicle will also experience significant engine power reduction. Say a prayer since there will probably be other vehicles on the road when this problem occurs and hopefully they will be able to take evasive action and not plow into you. I have stopped allowing other passengers in my vehicle since I do not want to be responsible for their death due to GM/GMC's ignoring this problem. If I experience this problem again, the Terrain is gone and I will purchase another non-GM vehicle.

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252

Hi ifonly4,

I'm sorry to hear that you have experienced reoccurring problems with your vehicle. I can definitely understand your frustration. Please let us know if you would like for us to take a further look into your concern. We can be reached via email at socialmedia@gm.com. Please include your full name, contact information, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealership in the email. We look forward to helping you.

Kristen A.
    GM Customer Care

I have already been in contact with GM Customer Care. We are all just waiting for it to happen again and hopefully I will not be killed when it does. In my opinion, this is another major liability risk that GM/GMC has been ignoring.

• chud1247chud1247 Member Posts: 1
    Service stability track can be just bad wheel bearings both of mine were replaced and it fixed the problem
    Today I received a letter from GMC indicating some 2012 model year GMC Terrain vehicles equipped with flex fuel E85 capability may have been built with the fuel composition sensor mounted below the frame, exposing the sensor and fuel lines to road debris. This may result in the fuel line emitting fuel odor, weeping or leaking. In addition, the vehicle may experience engine stumble, loss of power and stall while driving. Do not take your vehicle to your GMC dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition as described above.

Are you kidding me?? Now GMC expects me to have mechanic skills because they are not interested in having all the owners come in so they can inspect their vehicles. From reading the various Terrain forums, many of us have experienced the loss of engine power, Stabilitrak error message and fear for our lives as the vehicle slowed unexpectedly. What a pathetic message from GMC. Clearly customer loyalty is not a concern of theirs.
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    ifonly4 said:

Are you kidding me?? Now GMC expects me to have mechanic skills because they are not interested in having all the owners come in so they can inspect their vehicles. From reading the various Terrain forums, many of us have experienced the loss of engine power, Stabilitrak error message and fear for our lives as the vehicle slowed unexpectedly. What a pathetic message from GMC. Clearly customer loyalty is not a concern of theirs.

What kind of mechanical skills are needed to smell fuel, engine stumble, loss of power or stall? Your the one that drives it very day and should be in tune with what is going on. Inspection may or may not show the problem and a 15 min test drive by tech may not have the situation occur. (And I would have welcomed the reduced power message in the old days instead of having the engine just stall and not re-fire on the interstate, that's something that can be scary :) )
  • mseramsera Member Posts: 25
    edited January 2018
    If I might jump in on the 2011 thread... I have a 2011 Terrain with a 6t45 Gen II transmission and 1 yr out of warranty but only 83k miles. Getting codes p0700 and p2733 and transmission failure needing a tow from Onstar. At a cost of $3700 for a GM reman I am sooo disappointed. This is premature failure and not normal wear and tear. This is not an isolated case, rough shifting and failures are seen widely by dealers. GM needs to acknowledge the issue and support their loyal clients even if its technically out of warranty. Oh I almost forgot to mention to you all that the engine had to be disassembled to install new piston rings to solve the high oil consumption. Give me a break with this quality. Being a three time new GM car owner(most recently in 2017) , I am embarrassed to all my Japanese car neighbors and work peers. I would love to say to everyone that the issue acknowledged and GM stands behind their product .
  • mseramsera Member Posts: 25
    Update .... Vehicle has been diagnosed and needs a new trans. GM is supporting me with almost 50% because it a low miles vehicle. Dealer discovered a cracked exhaust manifold which is also a common issue. Not been going well and will really not buy a 1st or second model yr vehicle again.
  • tracy154tracy154 Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2020
    2011 gmc terrain..too many problems to list, but here are a few current. Primary, timing, and balance chain, excessive oil, plugged pvc, front cover seal, failed catalytic converter...and now a cracked manifold, another blown seal, and a leaking water pump-all since Oct 26,2019..but I was told heat and pressure combination would not cause seals to leak or manifolds to crack.pssh..once heat and pressure builds up-it has to go somewhere. I've had my car 3 years-it's still under 10 yrs old, and less than 120k.
    It's back in the shop with the all the same mechanical failures-for the third time (excluding the cat.converter and water pump--that was noticed when they cat was removed). They list "special coverage adjustment" rather than recall this piece of crap car that nobody even knows about until it's too late. Without posting the repairs as recalls, the special coverage adjustments and service bulletins, go unseen and unmentioned. My opinion, someone, somewhere, lost track of ethics, morality, and the safety of mankind, before the bottom line.
    Anyone else with a 2011 Gmc terrain SLE? issues sound familiar? I'd like to hear from you.