Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Liberty Electrical and Lighting Problems

Comments

• chryslergroupchryslergroup Member Posts: 35
    Hello ttripp378!

Sorry to hear you are having a concern with your 2006 Jeep Liberty Renegade.

I checked for Technical Service Bulletins but could not find anything related to no dash lights like you described.

You may want to consider having the vehicle diagnosed by your local authorized Jeep Service Department or a trusted mechanic.

Lisa
    Customer Care
    Chrysler Group LLC
  • jhanzlikjhanzlik Member Posts: 1
    Check out this service bulletin:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/mechanicinacan7/2010-08-07_194241_tsb.pdf

I have the same issue...a couple of years ago, they replaced my wireless control module when it completely died. Now I am starting to have the intermittent issues.
  • coloherzogscoloherzogs Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2002 Jeep Liberty Sport that has no lights. At first we thought it was being caused by the rear right tail light, but when we replaced it, still nothing. We do not have any dash lights either. Could this be a BCM issue? My husband just got laid off from his job, and we don't have much money to get the problem diagnosed. We might be able to purchase a part or two if he can install it himself. Any ideas?
  • billgeddesbillgeddes Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2012
    If I use the push-to-on feature of the lights above the windshield they'll go on, but not when I open the doors or if I use the rheostat.

Where do I start looking for the trouble?
  • libertygirl13libertygirl13 Member Posts: 8
    Jumped into my 2003 liberty to find a solution to your lights. Think I found the reason; I'll try to explain it in my limited knowledge of the names of car parts.
    :-) The signal arm on the left side of the steering wheel has a rotating piece on it that controls the interior lights. If that is "rolled" or switched in the position that turns off the interior lights then the interior lights won't go on when you open the door and neither will the over the windshield press on lights.... the press-on lights seem to be controlled in two ways; one, by the interior light switch (located on the signal arm) and two, by simply pressing them with your fingers. Hope this helps! :-)
    Just asked hubby what those "press on "lights were called... He said, "dome lights"...LOL
  • billgeddesbillgeddes Member Posts: 2
    LOL!

I'd call those ones "map lights."

My signal arm won't turn them on either. Rotating it all the way to the stop one direction will turn all the lights off. All the way the other direction will turn the instrumentation lights to full, but will NOT turn on the map or cargo lights.

The rear cargo light won't go on even when it's pressed, even though the bulb's good.

The overhead display shows when the doors are open, so the switches are working...
    I'm afraid that's all that I can add to this mystery....maybe bringing it in to the dealership or trusted garage will help...just get an estimate before they go 'digging'. :-) :)
  • forgivenin2002forgivenin2002 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2013
    I had a tail light out and went to replace it with a new one and come to realize it was the wrong one now i have no lights on the driver side at all could it be a fuse that was blown when i replaced it? Or could it be the whole panel that went out i really hope not My jeep seems to be giving me alot of problems lately first went to walmart for and oil change it came out with check engine light on and smoking under the hood, then there is a clicking noise in the rear on passenger side where the tire is can anyone tell me what that might be?
  • bchiassonbchiasson Member Posts: 2
    I had so many light issues with my liberty. The drivers and passengers sides run off of separate circuits so it could be the fuse. Google the owners manual if u don't have the original and it will have the fuse breakdown. When my system surged the old tail light bulbs literally melted in their sockets on one side. I pried them out. Cleaned the sockets up and they worked again, for the headlights, I couldn't get the one side to work again. Only the regular headlights. No day times and no brights. So I bought a HID kit ($100), they run off one headlamp only, so I hooked it up to the working headlight and away I went. The dealer thought it was a relay. ($80) it wasn't. It was the wiring harness. Mega bucks. HID solved my problems. Drive it for two years before trading it in. No more light problems.
  • susiekay29susiekay29 Member Posts: 1
    After 3 months of driving with no speedometer, odometer, radio or gear shift lights at night......CHECK FUSE #9, ta da......God said "let there be light" :)
  • odahodah Member Posts: 1
    thanks for the tip. Fuse 9 here also for the instrument panel situation. it also controls trailer lights, lights went out right after we had hooked a trailer up the first time.
  • andrew_cab21andrew_cab21 Member Posts: 1

So I have a 2007 jeep liberty 2wd. I'm having some electrical problems with it. The Dashboard lights, front passenger park light, and the rear passenger light won't shut off unless I disconnect the battery. When I reconnect the battery the lights will turn back on. It's not the battery or the alternator, I took both of those in to get tested and they passed. Help please?

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

Hmmm....stuck headlight relay? Bad multi-function switch on the stalk, or bad ground in that harness? No, alternator and battery were wild goose chases.

• mynewlifeyptmynewlifeypt Member Posts: 1

@btc2319 said:
    Found it !!!! behind glove box. All you see is a multi-wire plug. The part, which looks like a circuit board, actually slides into where plug plugs in. loosen the two screws and part slides out. new part slides in circuit board first and tighten screws plug in and your done. Ten minute job. Dealer wants to, well lets just say, unimaginable things to you . Dealer wants couple hundred and tells you it is an hour and a half job. Go figure!!!!

I have roughly the same thing wrong. Mine just the 123settings don't work and the 4 does. Did this fix the problem??? Just happened 2 days ago and My passenger brake light decided to go out and melt the plastic around one of the contacts at the same exact time. Replaced the light bulb and that one went out too.

Wondering if the two are related? Strange coincidence if not. Mine is a 2006 Jeep Liberty.

• realtorsuerealtorsue Member Posts: 1

I have a 2012 Jeep Liberty. At about 16K I started having all kinds of electrical issues including wipers that turn on when you hit the turn indicator, deprogrammed radio two times, air bag light for driver (replaced), clock loosing time (replaced after contacting corporate), tire pressure light coming on for no reason, deprogrammed car key.....what is up with this vehicle. It is in right now for the wiper problem along with radio deprogramming as the radio was already replaced once. Because of all of these issues the dealer closest to my home called me rude and will not continue to service my car so I have to go 15 miles out of my way...why, because I bought a Jeep. I was rude when the dealer in Tracy said I would have my car back in one day and then said they had to get a part and they had to go far, hello far 10 miles so they took 2 days to make THAT repair. My car has been in the shop over 10 times in 6 months and now has 22K.

Have you considered using the Lemon Law?

• dadio7dadio7 Member Posts: 1

My sons 2002 liberty has a driver side front marker and rear taillight that will not go off unless the fuse is pulled. Any suggestions?

• shaggy21shaggy21 Member Posts: 2
    My 07 jeep liberty drive side rear turn signal sometimes works and the doesn't. Does anyone have an idea where my search for the problem would begin.
    I'd look first at the bulb and its socket (loose, corroded) and then at the connectors that plug into the tail light assembly, for a loose ground wire or some such.
  • liberty2007liberty2007 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Jeep liberty and oh man..it sucks. Every issue on here it has.
    Anyway. My question for today is electrical. About 4yrs ago we had the BMC replaced. It seemed to fix the electrical issues. I hit a bump and the fuse that makes the keys talk tonthe door, inside lights and radio work popped. I took it back and they said it was nothing they did wrong. Mind you this should be a brand new part.
    So, my rear passenger tailight literally burned up. Replace the whole package. Still not the problem. I had the trail hitch I had installed totally un hooked (wiring) .
    Still that fuse is blowing. No codes are being thrown. Any ideas??
    Thank you in advance.
  • cyparissecyparisse Member Posts: 2
    HELP!!! I was trying to find answers on here, but couldn't.

I just bought a 2006 Jeep Liberty Sport and noticed some electrical and lighting issues while driving it home. All interior lights do not work at all. Also, my door locks do not lock with the fob or with the switches, but it looks like they unlock - sometimes. Lastly, my radio (after market) resets itself every time I turn on my car - so it does not save any settings as if it was put in brand new.

Could all of these issues be related? I have not looked into the fuses yet, but I also have found that there are people who HAVE switched the fuses and they blow every time they replace them. What could be the issue there as to why they keep blowing as soon as putting a new one in?

Thanks for any help!
    If fuses blow when you replace then, you probably have a short to ground somewhere. This would involve isolating the fuse circuit that is malfunctioning, and trace the wiring harness inch by inch until you find the problem. Technicians have some good tools to help them find shorts.

As to your problem, by all means check your fuses first and the condition and charge on your battery, and be sure your battery cables are clean and tight on both ends of each cable.
  • l_lopezl_lopez Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I have a 2003 Jeep Liberty, my signals do not work but all my other lights do including hazards. I already switched the multifunction switch, I switched the hazard flasher, & light bulbs & they still don't work. Can anyone help, everyone just tells me it's an electrical problem but I've already spent money on all these parts & still nothing. So I'm hoping it's something inexpensive that I can fix?!?!?!?! 
    Someone please help!!! 
    edited October 2016
    Signals don't work on my 2003 Jeep Liberty. Already switched multifunction switch, hazard flasher, & bulbs but still nothing. All my other lights work including hazards but signals don't work at all. Can anyone help??
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    Check fuses #11 (15A) and #39 (10A) in the junction block below the left end of the dash. Everything after the multi-function switch is identical between the 4-ways and the turn signals, suggesting the problem has to be before the multi-function switch.

Fuse 11 is hot at all times and connects to the multi-function switch at pin #1 with a pink/orange wire.
    Fuse 39 is only hot in the ignition run position, and supplies power to the multi-function switch on pin #8 dark blue and white wire.
  • 06jeepliberty06jeepliberty Member Posts: 4
    Two days ago that my driver side break light was out. I took it to get replace (because I know nothing about cars) and I was told that it was not the bulb, and that it was electrical. When I got my car back, the driver side turn signal started blinking very fast (same side as break light). Today, I went to unlock my car and my remote entry no longer works. Is this all one problem or is everything just piling up on me? How do I fix this all?
    Hazard light also does not work on the drivers side.
    Update: The remote entry and become hit or miss. Somethings it will work, sometimes it won't.
    My tire pressure light came on today as well, but it says to check TMP system. Someone please help me!
  • dallas_schdallas_sch Member Posts: 1
    Hey everyone, got an interesting one. 05" Liberty, my back right tail light was going out, had no running light but had brake lighting. Took off the whole fixture 1 or 3 prongs broke, make shift metal connector and worked fine. Soon after, running light out again and brake light working. Then, my dash light went out, all of the in cab lights went out (not roof light, just everything on dash and a/c control) when I would hit the brake pedal the back right brake light would light up and the dash lights would light up. I hit the break, the whole dash lights up (this is of course at night when the headlights are on) take foot off the break, dash lights are dark. They seem connected and you all know how easy grounding issues are to find so please give me some insight as to where I can start my search instead of the lovely 4hr labor to pay just to find a short and then the cost of actually getting fixed. Thank you
  • vavamoonvavamoon Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Liberty. My fan blower was intermittently not blowing. Mechanic replaced the blower motor and it worked for a few weeks but now won't blow at all. And now my headlights come on when I first turn on but then they go off. Being told that I have to take it to dealer and have them replace the power module. Wondering if anyone has experienced this and has any advice or recommendation that doesn't involve spending $$$. Thanks!
  • jeeplmn05jeeplmn05 Member Posts: 1
    Jeep Lemon lover 

Please help! !
    New battery, alternator is great! !
    My dash lights and interior lights flicker and flash. Then my Jeep will die and I'll have to jump start. .
    I'm frustrated. .

Any insight please? ?!!
    If you have to jump start and that works, then your alternator is not great (or the wiring harness). Bench testing the alternator might fool you. It should be hooked up and under load.

You might also check your grounds, including battery to ground and engine to ground.
  • dalkas7304dalkas7304 Member Posts: 6
    Headlights stay on after shut off Horn blows on shut off.

2003 Jeep Liberty Sport Headlights stay on after car is off or horn stays on after car is off. Check to see all bulbs have the same number in each socket. Fast blinkers are an indication of wrong bulb. Check Drivers side fuse box very top black plastic plug in on the sport model for headlight relay . If clicking noise change it for sure. Blowing horn can be caused by low battery as well, and if your car stalls , this indicates low or bad battery. Jeeps will have a no start or won't idle or hard start until battery charges if battery low. Check first before tune up or bring to garage. . If all else fails replace the 1 unit Multi functional switch / Headlight switch/ blinker switch on top of steering wheel. Junkyards charge $35.00. Make sure you disconnect battery first and foremost.. , Remove cover under steering wheel lower the steering wheel first. Has a few torque screws and 2 plugs and be sure to slide the clips holding the switch in place. Do not force out the plugs.
  • bostonjoe1bostonjoe1 Member Posts: 1
    02 Jeep liberty limited. Daytime Running Lamps? If you just install the DLR Relay Will it work? Or is there some other Equip Needed like sensors? Reading the manual says Canada only. IDK why but maybe 15 yrs ago they weren't sold that way in the States. now all NEW cars come with at least the capability.
    Just got it want it for the snow when winter comes but would definitely want this feature for added safety. Thank You
    According to this response from a Jeep mechanic, you can't install DRL merely by putting in a relay, because your Jeep is not wired for DRL.

Retrofitting DRL Jeep Liberty
    edited June 2017
    There is a way to add factory DRL's but it is definitely NOT a DIY project. The required wiring and components can be added and then the vehicle build configuration has to be changed in the TIPM and CCN (under hood fuse block and control module and the instrument cluster). You will need the factory Wi-TECH scan tool to do that. That would set you back about 8K and it has a terminal shelf life.

An easier solution would be to add aftermarket fog lights and then wire them to operate as desired.
    THIS website might give you some ideas.
  • shodan85shodan85 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2017
    I have a 2011 Jeep Liberty. I'm just noticing that I have lost all function to the button panel below the hvac controls (seat warmer, hazard, traction control). I recently replaced my factory 12v outlet with a dual USB port (which still works). Everything seems to be plugged in correctly (I think), but there is no power going to any of those buttons. 
    You mean a dual port USB charger?
  • nikkichickienikkichickie Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Jeep Liberty that I bought in October 2014 with around 50,000 miles on it and have loved it. My first car, mom helped me co-sign on it. Everything was going great on it until a year or two ago it started going down hill. My headlights and tail lights went out about a year or two ago which we replaced. But we had to replace the whole tail light piece, the tail light assembly. So maybe about a year ago, I was driving down the highway and the traction control light will come on as I’m driving and slow the car down. I had to physically turn it off. It will still do that once in a while. But now after this winter, the 4 wheel drive “part time” light won’t turn off. So that’s on all the time. Sometimes as I’m driving down the road, my car will go “ding” and ALL the dash lights will come on at once, like an exclamation point, a red ABS light, some yellow light looks like a battery, all the lights. Now, my left headlight is completely out, my right headlight is dimming to almost out, so I have no headlights unless I use my fog lights which I do. Even my brights don’t work. And, both my brake lights are out. Thank God the little brake bar at the top works. And we’ve been told that there’s no bulb to replace in the headlight, so we have to replace the whole headlight piece which is like 60$ and you have to order it in. And now, it sounds like [non-permissible content removed] trying to start, barely wanting to start. Sounds like “eh eh eh” and then it starts. And there’s a constant yellow light that looks like a battery that won’t turn off now. Thinking its the starter or alternator that’s out. I mean seriously, the brake lights and head lights are CONSTANTLY going out on this thing and the dash lights not going off and sometimes all lighting up at once is ridiculous. Any suggestions?
  • MakkkkkkkkkMakkkkkkkkk Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2012 jeep liberty I just installed fahren headlights led and they come with there own resistor already installed I installed the headlights and while idling the lights flicker just a little bit enough to barely notice and not flickering enough where there is a big problem then when I drive the lights are regular no flickering
  • BlazinTreBlazinTre Member Posts: 1
    hello, so i recently bought an 06 jeep liberty, since then i found out engine light comes on when gas tank gets to 3/4... i assume its a PCM issue.. then realized if sitting idle for about 5-10 minutes my gas gauge goes straight to empty and my gas light turns on, i shut car off, turn back on everything is normal.. this week however it changed from gas gauge dropping to my hazard lights flashing and not shutting off. and when they do finally shut off when i hit bumps or something they slightly come on like a loose wire is making contact on and off.. I'm lost here i don't know if its just a PCM board i need or what?
  • WillaWilla Member Posts: 1

New here can't seem to find my exact same issue. I have an 02 jeep liberty sport 3.7L. Battery had died put on charger enough to jump it. Once going I lost speedometer( only guage not working) , door locks ,wipers headlight( turn signals working). Have had several pple check fuses can't seem to locate any blown fuses. Any suggestions? Very frustrated even tried disconnecting battery and did end up replacing battery nothing has helped. Even replaced battery in key fob. Can't unlock rear hatch with key but can with other doors using key. Key fob still not working!
    Help please!!!!!!!

The speedometer is just a gage controlled by the instrument cluster. The instrument cluster gets the vehicle speed information from the engine control/transmission control module by digital communication. Most of the diagnostics are done with a scan tool that will communicate with all of the modules in the car. There is one thing that you can look at right now that might help point a finger in the right direction. Tell me, is the transmission shifting correctly AND is the odometer counting the miles you have driven?

The second part of your question kind of looks like we jumped into the middle of a different conversation. If I understand that part it appears that you cannot open the liftgate at all, or is it that you can't open it with the key? As far as the key FOB goes, are you saying that it doesn't work at all with any of the doors?

Again most of the diagnostics are going to start with an appropriate scan tool and by checking for codes in all of the modules in the car. Then the diagnostics would target specific modules such as the body computer to see if it is receiving the command to operate the door locks. Testing from there would be dependent on what was found while analyzing the body computer data and bi-directional controls.
  • BjwedgeBjwedge Member Posts: 1

I have a 05 jeep liberty. The heater wasn’t working properly so I replaced the heater core. After doing that the heater works perfectly but now the gauges ( gas, rpm, temp) isn’t working when the heater is on. When I turn the heater off they start working again. Can someone explain?

All of those cluster outputs come from sensor information that is sent to the instrument cluster from other computers on the car. That suggests that communication is being disrupted either inside the instrument cluster or in the wiring to it. I would expect that to also illuminate some warning lamps like the check engine light.

For testing I would start with a scan tool monitoring the data inputs to the cluster both with the HVAC system on as well as off. You only said "the heater", are you really referring to the blower motor? What other HVAC functions, do they also cause symptoms?

Have you tried any other vehicle systems like power windows, power seats, lamps, etcetera?? Do they operate or stop as well ?
  • tataharier702tataharier702 Member Posts: 1
    Fuse 34 and 6 would be the most likely. Both of these also happen to be related to the body control module. So if that’s not a fuse issue then perhaps your body control module is failing or the wiring to it is messed up.