Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Car Buying Advice - 2017 Land Rover Window Sticker

slinstroslinstro Member Posts: 1
edited June 2017 in Land Rover
I just purchased a 2017 Range Rover. When I got home and gathered all the paperwork, I noticed the dealer did not give me the window sticker. They are now telling me that they will not give me the original sticker, copy of the sticker, or even a picture of the sticker until I have owned the vehicle for 10 months. Is this okay for them to do?

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    slinstro said:

I just purchased a 2017 Range Rover. When I got home and gathered all the paperwork, I noticed the dealer did not give me the window sticker. They are now telling me that they will not give me the original sticker, copy of the sticker, or even a picture of the sticker until I have owned the vehicle for 10 months. Is this okay for them to do?

What is their explanation for that?
    I would assume it has to do with straw buyers exporting their vehicles to the Middle East.

There are rules about window stickers for cars, but it's possible the Range Rover is a truck, and there are less restrictions for those. (all that is pure speculation on my part).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Was it possibly a demo that you bought? How many miles on it?
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    The things you learn :)

The Monroney sticker (named after Almer Stillwell "Mike" Monroney, United States Senator from Oklahoma - file THAT away for a trivia night) is something only the consumer is supposed to remove, although I think I only ever took home one new car where *I* removed it.

Overview of the Federal Automobile Information Disclosure Act

The Federal Automobile Information Disclosure Act, or “Price Sticker Act,” requires automobile manufacturers to place stickers containing certain information on the windows of all new cars. The Act is commonly known as the “Monroney Act,” in reference to Mike Monroney, the Act’s chief sponsor in the United States Senate. The stickers required by the Act are often called “Monroney stickers.”

The Act requires the manufacturer to affix the sticker on the windshield or side window of any new passenger car or station wagon before the car is delivered to a dealer. The Act prohibits the removal or alteration of the sticker prior to the sale of the car. Therefore, only the buyer of the car may remove the sticker.

Contents of a Monroney Sticker

The sticker must clearly and legibly state:

The make, model, and serial or identification number of the car
    The final assembly point of the car
    The name, location, and place of business of the dealer to whom the car is to be delivered
    The name of the city or town at which the car is to be delivered to the dealer
    The method of transportation used in making delivery of the car, if the car is driven or towed from the final assembly point to the place of delivery
    The manufacturer’s suggested retail price for the car
    The manufacturer’s suggested retail price for optional equipment installed on the car
    The amount charged to the dealer for the transportation of the car to the place of delivery
    The total amount of the last three items listed above
    Penalties

The Federal Automobile Information Disclosure Act provides civil and criminal penalties for violations of the Act. A manufacturer that willfully fails to comply with the Act may be fined up to $ 1,000 for each violation. A person who willfully removes or alters a Monroney sticker from a car prior to its delivery to a buyer may be fined up to $ 1,000 and imprisoned for not more than one year.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    I'll just note that Monroney doesn't apply to trucks

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Doesn't seem to apply to demos and buy-backs however.