Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Car Buying Advice - Nissan pathfinder 2017

maximuspersiemaximuspersie Member Posts: 2
edited June 2017 in Nissan
Hello everyone,

Long time viewer of the forum and first time poster here! I am looking to purchase an S trim Nissan pathfinder, I have looked at carjojo and the best price there $26,254. I am wondering if this is the price I should be negotiating for or lower price than that? and is there any other advice in terms of timing? I am in no rush regarding the purchase and can wait for other months if there is going to be a better time. I am in Chicago area, and last car I bought I got completely duped in to paying $1500 over MSRP and I am hoping to avoid that experience!

Thank you for you help!

Answers

• Options
    NathanCrumbackNathanCrumback Administrator Posts: 508
    Hi @maximuspersie, always start negotiations lower than the price you see. For instance, you can use our TMV tool here for the 2017 Nissan Pathfinder: https://www.edmunds.com/nissan/pathfinder/2017/options/?legacy=true&sub=&color=

We suggest starting at least 2-3% below the TMV that is listed. The goal is not to pay more than the TMV (obviously try for lower and this is why you always start lower). This should insure that your at least get a good deal! TMV doesn't include taxes and fees.

I see the TMV in for a base Pathfinder S in your area is around $28,298 (with a $1,000 rebate). So, if you see an offer for $26,254, that would be an excellent deal. To be honest, I'm not sure how they're getting it that low. I saw the one on their site near Chicago and its on an MSRP of $33K. I would be skeptical of that price but if they can do it, that would be hard to pass on.

Edmunds Moderator
  • Options
    joeybags24joeybags24 Member Posts: 18
    edited June 2017
    @NathanCrumback
    When ever I try to start at the TMV price or below the sales rep says, oh that's only if you buy the vehicle. This price is not available on leases. Is this true? Are they not able to apply discounts on leases? What is the best strategy to discuss lease negotiating? Are there any tips? I don't want to come off as a jerk and sit down and point to a price and say, this is the number and not a cent more or I'm out of here. Any suggestions?