Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2017 XC90 difficult third row access

mattb524mattb524 Member Posts: 2
edited May 2017 in Volvo
We're looking to purchase a 2017 XC90 but are concerned about the very difficult to access 3rd row.
The car would be used to shuttle kids around, so we need the second row seats to be more easily movable by an 8 year old.
A dealer we're working with essentially told us 'that's just how they are'. To me, it seems like an issue of a lack of lubricant on the rail in these brand new cars. I was thinking it's a prep issue.
Does anyone have experience with this or can confirm a fix? As of now, it's a deal breaker for my wife.

Thanks

Answers

• caltmancaltman Member Posts: 240
    mattb524 said:

We're looking to purchase a 2017 XC90 but are concerned about the very difficult to access 3rd row.
    The car would be used to shuttle kids around, so we need the second row seats to be more easily movable by an 8 year old.
    A dealer we're working with essentially told us 'that's just how they are'. To me, it seems like an issue of a lack of lubricant on the rail in these brand new cars. I was thinking it's a prep issue.
    Does anyone have experience with this or can confirm a fix? As of now, it's a deal breaker for my wife.

Thanks

We are in the same boat as you. Currently, my wife drives a fully loaded 2015 Chevy Tahoe with four kids. She's 5'3" and doesn't like the size or the effort to get two kids under three into car seats. It has captains in the second row so the 11yo and 6yo easily can get in and get back to the third row. We've looked at every luxury brand SUV w/ third row out there. Unbelievably, the XC90 can fit two 17" wide car seats next to each other in the second row. BUT, getting into the third row is hard, AND we cannot believe the third row folds down MANUALLY in a $60-75k vehicle. It's just baffling. My wife thinks she wants to get the XC90 because it's lower to the ground and smaller than the Tahoe, but I think she's going to regret it after a few months because the Tahoe has power everything and a RSE system. If you add the RSE to the Volvo, it's another $3k. Also baffling.
  • mattb524mattb524 Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2017
    So, we ended up with an XC90 Inscription. My wife fell in love with the car features and look.
    We opted for the 4 corner air suspension, which was a good investment in my opinion.
    An added benefit is that the car physically lowers a few inches when parked to ease ingress/egress.
    It also adjusts its height relative to the drive modes.

As far as the RSE is concerned, we also initially saw it as a disadvantage to not have one, but realized that our kids pretty much just use iPads these days anyway. We're considering installing the holders on the backs of the headrests.

The more difficult to move second row is still a small issue, but our 8 year olds have been managing just fine. There was a short learning curve.

The third row is easy enough to fold down and up, so it doesn;t bother us. Our previous car was also manual in this area.

But I have to say, I really love the look of the car, as well. It's the best looking SUV out there in my opinion.
    The Mercedes ML and Range Rover (no Sport) are contenders, but much more expensive similarly optioned.
  • shaolinshaolin Member Posts: 14
    Thanks Matt, those are helpful comments. We also want to use the third row often in XC90 if we buy it.