Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Where the heck is my spare tire

coachbob5coachbob5 Member Posts: 1
edited September 2015 in Ford
Hello, Just bought a new 2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid and found out after the fact that it didn't come with a spare tire.
Is there a spare tire kit that I can purchase the will fit into the trunk space? What do I do if I am out in the middle of nowhere and I have a sidewall blowout. It would take half of a day to get towed and repaired.

Help!

Comments

• thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    There is no spare, and most cars aren't even designed with a location to store one anymore. http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/08/your-next-car-may-not-have-a-spare-tire/index.htm
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    coachbob5 said:

Hello, Just bought a new 2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid and found out after the fact that it didn't come with a spare tire.
    Is there a spare tire kit that I can purchase the will fit into the trunk space? What do I do if I am out in the middle of nowhere and I have a sidewall blowout. It would take half of a day to get towed and repaired.

Help!

I bought a 2015 Fusion Hybrid back on March 31 and unfortunately found out after the fact as well. It never crossed my mind to check if it had one because every vehicle I have owned has had one. I love the car and the great gas mileage I have gotten in the 10,500 miles I have driven it. If I had to do it all over again I would have purchased a car that I at least had the option to get a spare tire. Drove to Pittsburgh from Columbus, Ohio to visit family before I knew about it. Now anytime we are driving any distance where we will be out in the middle of nowhere, we drive our Highlander which gets half the mileage of the Fusion. We drove to Myrtle Beach back at the end of September and never gave a thought to driving the Fusion due to the fact it did not have a spare. How can a small temporary spare add that much weight?
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
  • expedition3expedition3 Member Posts: 8
    You can buy a spare tire, jack, and lug wrench from ebay, the dealer, or sometimes Amazon. The standard spare will work on the hybrid but make sure you get the correct model year because the lug pattern may be different for the different years. If you have a spare and are rear-ended the spare could be pushed into the battery, causing a lithium fire like those on the hoverboards but more spectacular. This is why the hybrids don't come with a spare. I know this is an old post but the situation remains the same for model year 2017. I just got the last spare tire kit on Amazon.
  • expedition3expedition3 Member Posts: 8
    The spare tire fits perfectly in the space where the mobility kit goes in the hybrid but I don't know about the Energi.