Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Car Buying Advice - Purchase, lease, used car fee difference ( Lexus IS f sport )

tom1965tom1965 Member Posts: 54
edited June 2017 in Lexus
I know this came up prior, however I can't locate it. What's the main difference in fees in respect to lease and purchase. For ex. Lease you have your acquisition fee, doc fee, electronic filing fee and tire fee. I'm in California so I pay taxes on payment for lease. 

on a purchase is there an acquisition fee? Also for used car purchase is it the same as a new car purchase in regards to fees?

im looking for an is f sport with upgraded packages not the 300- is it best to buy new or used? This will not be a lease. I've read several articles about individuals purchasing cpo cars and some are salvaged and have major issues. Pricing wise if you I get a big enough discount it would be close in price. I'm not good at purchasing used cars so not sure what to look for. Also online or Craigslist the used cars have salvaged titles as well including being expensive.

thoughts and suggestions please

Best Answer

Answers

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,063
    tom1965 said:

I know this came up prior, however I can't locate it. What's the main difference in fees in respect to lease and purchase. For ex. Lease you have your acquisition fee, doc fee, electronic filing fee and tire fee. I'm in California so I pay taxes on payment for lease. 

on a purchase is there an acquisition fee? Also for used car purchase is it the same as a new car purchase in regards to fees?

im looking for an is f sport with upgraded packages not the 300- is it best to buy new or used? This will not be a lease. I've read several articles about individuals purchasing cpo cars and some are salvaged and have major issues. Pricing wise if you I get a big enough discount it would be close in price. I'm not good at purchasing used cars so not sure what to look for. Also online or Craigslist the used cars have salvaged titles as well including being expensive.

thoughts and suggestions please

You'll have the doc, electronic filing and tire fee if you purchase, as well.

When you lease, you'll have the acquisition fee (up front) and the disposition fee (at the end, if you turn the car in).

If you buy a used car from a dealer, you'll have the same fees as if you buy a new car.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• tom1965tom1965 Member Posts: 54
    Is it best to buy new or used - I've owned all new cars but trying to way out the depreciation of buying new vs used. With used I'm not sure what I'm getting into. There can be several issues that are not brought forward so it's still a risk
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,063
    tom1965 said:

Is it best to buy new or used - I've owned all new cars but trying to way out the depreciation of buying new vs used. With used I'm not sure what I'm getting into. There can be several issues that are not brought forward so it's still a risk

There is no one right answer.

Used cars are less expensive because the first owner took the depreciation hit. But, as you note, you don't always know how well they were taken care of.

With new cars you get a new car warranty, but then you are shouldering the depreciation burden.

A third option - CPO - may be the best of both worlds, especially if you are looking at a Lexus. Less expensive than new, but there is a decent warranty attached.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• tom1965tom1965 Member Posts: 54
    I've read in the cpo section that many had issues, one being that the dealer sold them a salvaged title which shouldn't be a cpo. Is this factual from individuals experiences or is there more to it? It has come up several times and lots just other issues from cpo that's why I'm not too sure