Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Do dealerships need to copy your id for test drives

tom1965tom1965 Member Posts: 54
edited July 2017 in General
I've been test driving vehicles recently and the deAlerships always make a copy of my drivers license. After researching online, they said its used to obtain copies of my credit report, although you need ones permission which I haven't given nor have I seen inquires. 

Question is, do they need to make a copy of my drivers license for a test drive and why?

Best Answer

• Options
    Answer ✓
    Also I feel it's with different dealerships, I don't recall giving Id for mercedes or bmw but Honda, Lexus, infinity yes

Answers

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,177
    For insurance purposes.

They shouldn't run your credit without your permission, though.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    So it is normal for them to make a copy for "insurance purposes?"

Reading online again no evidence of factual info they say it's for insurance purposes but don't need it for that. Just looking for more factual info that I know people on here test drive lots of vehicles and work in the auto business.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Any smart dealer will take a copy of your Driver's License. First of all, they want to make sure you even have one. If foul play happens they will know who you are. On more than one occasion I made two copies and left one on my desk just "in case".

And, the "Insurance purposes" reason is valid too.

After I handed people's licenses back to them I would ask for their phone number and I would write it on the dr lic copy for follow up later.

The funniest one I remember happened in 1997 when the CRV's had just been introduced. They were red hot and
    people actually lined up to drive the one demo we had. The salesperson told him " I need to make a quick copy of your Driver's License" The guy held it between his fingers and wagged it back and forth. " You can look at it but you can't copy it!" The salesperson then wagged the CRV keys back and forth and said " Here is the new CRV. You can look at it but you can't drive it!"

The customer stormed out of there....NEXT!
  • Options
    Also, without a Social Security number they can't pull your credit!
  • Options
  • Options
    Even if this is possible I have to wonder why a store would do this? Makes no sense unless the customer is ready to buy and has filled out a credit application.

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    According to the Federal Fair Credit Reporting Act, the following requests are legitimate:

Per the consumer’s written request
    To satisfy a federal court order or subpoena
    A financial institution to process a credit application, such as an auto, mortgage or student loan
    Utility companies when you apply for services
    Prospective employers (only with the consumer’s consent)
    An insurance underwriter that’s underwriting your policy
    Governmental agencies to determine your eligibility for licensure or a government benefit
    A legitimate business need that relates to a transaction initiated by the consumer, such as a potential investor or landlord
    Current creditors to review an account to ensure terms are met or to initiate collection efforts
    Child support enforcement to determine how much you can pay each month

Since a dealer is not in itself a "financial institution", and since you can read your own credit report and find out who made the inquiry, I think you could nail the dealer on this if they did it. What the consequences are, I don't know. BUT....read below....

Please note that creditors and insurance companies may also access your credit profile without your permission to determine your eligibility for prescreened offers. These are considered “soft inquiries” and do not impact your credit score.

source: Credit.com
  • Options
    A lot of insurance companies insist on pulling credit reports for new customers. I guess this makes sense. If a person is a deadbeat they are liable to be high risk in other areas.
  • Options
    Basically what I'm getting at, is it common for them to copy your id, do they actually have to do so? 

Thank you for all responses 
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,291

tom1965 said:

Basically what I'm getting at, is it common for them to copy your id, do they actually have to do so? 

Thank you for all responses 

Common? Yes

Have to do so? I think the jury is out on that question. 

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    I know you guys test drive lots of cars do they copy your id as well?
  • Options
    It's not a hard and fast rule but any smart store will copy licenses.
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,291
    I was with a friend yesterday who was test driving. We visited two stores - BMW and GMC. They took and copied his license at both places.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4