Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

How To Clear Foggy Headlights

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited July 2017 in Editorial
imageHow To Clear Foggy Headlights

Inexpensive kits promise to restore clear headlights. We tried out two of them and got pretty good results.

Read the full story here

Comments

• rherrenrherren Member Posts: 1
    Call me cheap but I didn't want to spend $15 on a kit for what I figured would be a 1 shot deal plus not knowing if it would be effective. I used some Turtlewax polishing compound ( scratch remover ) I've had on hand for years & it did the trick very quickly.
  • togwarriortogwarrior Member Posts: 1
    Forget the kits, forget the sandpaper (Really?), forget all that time...

Go to the store and buy a can of silicone spray lubricant, spray a rag very thoroughly, I mean soak it, and then wipe headlight lens in circular NON STOP motions to remove the grunge in about 30 seconds. Leaves you with nice clear lenses, and cost nothing in time and money. WORKS LIKE A DREAM!!!!!!
  • sarinosarino Member Posts: 1
    the turtle wax product just made my lenses worse. followed the directions exactly. one minute for each sanding surface squares. first use the clearing compound liquid. what a joke. good thing it was only 5 bucks at menards. but it really did make the one lens worse. i wouldnt be pissed off it just didnt do anything, but to make it worse? i get sick every time i look at it
  • ezracezrac Member Posts: 1
    What about a deoxidizer? saw something on facebook about that?
  • lauriegrahamlauriegraham Member Posts: 1
    The car used in the before and after here - aren't even the same cars. Very dishonest post here. Look CLOSELY at the center grill of the before pic - it's SILVER - but it isn't in the "after" pic. Heck look at the license plate - it ends with a 4 but the "after" pic has a piece of the license plate displaying and whatever the number is - it ISN'T a 4 - take a close look again at the pics - this entire post is a lie.
  • boredswflboredswfl Member Posts: 1
    Laurie you are wrong, Notice he says I then tried this on ANOTHER CAR
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    No matter what you do nothing lasts real long and eventually you'll have to do it again. That being said the cheapest thing to use is shampoo. Laugh if you want but give it a try and you'll be surprised at the results.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I've used gel toothpaste with okay results. Not long lasting but okay.
  • alienpriestalienpriest Member Posts: 1
    This is a good post, believable and well thought out. Good idea to compare the products. I would have liked to have seen you try a deoxidizer vs the kit, most kits are basically the same and I don't feel comfortable grinding sandpaper against my headlight.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Good idea about the clearcoat spray.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,704
    Why not pop the hood instead of taping it?
  • artemvtartemvt Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2015

Thnaks
  • stephenkepesstephenkepes Member Posts: 1
    turtle wax kit works great ,just follow directions , Sand as per the directions twice. Got to keep the surface wet during sanding and wash with clear water offen . I clayed the headlamps after sanding. I used a Porter Cable polisher to applied and polish with the clarifying compound. The orbital Polisher is the secret to success . The headlamps on my 2008 grand prix are like new . I just wish they gave you 2 packs of sealer
  • lyngal38lyngal38 Member Posts: 1
    I discovered a perfect solution without buying expensive kits, no sanding, no toxic chemicals, no waxing, etc. I tried Armor All Original Protectant Wipes and they worked great--clear headlights! I have an older 1995 car so you know the plastic headlight cover was pretty foggy. Since it worked on my old car, it should work for any car.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I'm trying to figure out how Armor All can remove the layer of discolored plastic?
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    edited July 2017
    Most of the time what appears to be discolored plastic is really countless scratches and cracks in the surface and they are not very deep. Any agent that can fill those micro scratches and cracks can make it look clear again, for a while anyway.
  • Spike_DogSpike_Dog Member Posts: 1
    Call me Lazy but you can purchase replacement Headlight units complete with lense and new bulbs for $88 for the pair.