Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

King Banana Hits the Dirt - 2016 Nissan Titan XD

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited July 2017 in Nissan
imageKing Banana Hits the Dirt - 2016 Nissan Titan XD

Our 2016 Nissan Titan XD let us down off-road. Then the local dealer did the same.

Read the full story here

Comments

• jlaszlojlaszlo Member Posts: 60
    If this were the playoffs, the Ridgeline would play the winner of the Big 3 conference.
  • willin58willin58 Member Posts: 38
    Moral of the story: Gardena Nissan doesn't honor warranty claims.
  • s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    i took a rented AWD Rav4 off road in Death Valley years ago.

My wife and I went over some washboard roads in Titus Canyon, couldn't go more than 15-20 mph...I didn't think the dampers were blown but... not sure how it could have made it if these three trucks couldn't!!

Sorry whoever bought that SUV.

But I am very surprised those Bilsteins couldn't take it. I lot of people swear by Bilsteins for their Rangers but when I DIY replaced the shocks for my 2001 last year I got Monroe OESpectrum. Reason: They are so easy to replace, and the Monroes so much cheaper, that I could go through three sets for the price of Bilsteins! I just don't off road enough to get full benefit of Bilsteins (and after this, is there a benefit?) and if I ever do and blow them then Monroes will be way cheaper to replace.

As for daily driving, Monroes have been fine.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    I put Bilstein HDs on my TJ over a decade ago. I live on a farm with a long gravel driveway; sometimes I take it cross country over a few plowed fields. No issues whatsoever. I would be beyond furious if a few miles of washboard gravel destroyed the shocks on a $50k truck that purported to be especially competent off road.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• bohiobohio Member Posts: 59
    So, the "King Banana" split. Had Edmunds actually bought this truck, I wonder if their criticism would be greater. As to the dealer that weaseled out of the repair, it's disheartening that the auto industry is still guilty of that sort of BS. Store by store, a different story. Nissan's new Titan is a loser, and that's a shame. They should fire the whole engineering and marketing team, hire as much talent from the Big 3 as they can, and get to work on Titan V.3 as soon as possible.
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    Wow, so much fail on the part of Nissan and one of their dealerships. The Bilsteins on my Xterra Off Road have survived quite a few trips to the desert in 50k miles. Blowing out shocks in one trip is unacceptable.