Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Advice on Zeibarting my new CRV

working_stiffworking_stiff Member Posts: 4
edited August 2017 in Honda
I just took out a loan to purchase a 2003 Honda CRV (LX version). The body is in awesome shape, but I took it to our local Zeibart guy to see what he thought of the underside. He said it was worth Zeibarting, however they only do the frame. He quoted me a price of $400.

I'm just wondering if it would be worth it to get this done. Considering I'd like the vehicle to last at least 3 more years, which is the length of the loan I took out on it. The Zeibart place does a lot of business and I have seen his work on some other vehicles he has there and it looks pretty good.

Any advice / suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• working_stiffworking_stiff Member Posts: 4
    Below are some pics I took of the underside of the CR-V.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760

I just took out a loan to purchase a 2003 Honda CRV (LX version). The body is in awesome shape, but I took it to our local Zeibart guy to see what he thought of the underside. He said it was worth Zeibarting, however they only do the frame. He quoted me a price of $400.

I'm just wondering if it would be worth it to get this done. Considering I'd like the vehicle to last at least 3 more years, which is the length of the loan I took out on it. The Zeibart place does a lot of business and I have seen his work on some other vehicles he has there and it looks pretty good.

$400 to spray a coating on a $4000 car, that's already 14 years old? Wasted money.

If your car's structural components are dangerously rusted, Ziebart won't fix it. And, if they aren't rusted after 14 years, then they aren't likely to develop any issues in the next three years.

(I won't even get into the dubious worth of Ziebart, in general)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks for the reply. So judging by the photos how bad of shape do you think it is under there? It looks bad to me, but then I'm already apprehensive about under body rust because of what happened to my last car.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You could put it on a lift and using a sharp tool, check for perforation, or "corn flakes" (a flaking of rust chips). If all you have is surface rust, you can just apply some rust remover like OSFRO (available at Ace Hardware stores, usually). That should work for quite a while and give you peace of mind.

If you do have perforation or corn flakes, then you need to intervene on a more serious level than Zeibart--you can't undercoat over that. This might require welding in the worst case or replacement of certain suspension or detachable subframe parts. In the best case, wire-brushing with a power tool and then some Osfro for the corn flakes. For perforation, you must do something more drastic as this becomes structurally dangerous.

Thanks for the advice. We have a really good auto body shop here in town so I'll make an appointment to have them inspect it. Rather put that money into something that's gong to produce more structurally sound results.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    kyfdx said:

$400 to spray a coating on a $4000 car, that's already 14 years old? Wasted money.

If your car's structural components are dangerously rusted, Ziebart won't fix it. And, if they aren't rusted after 14 years, then they aren't likely to develop any issues in the next three years.

(I won't even get into the dubious worth of Ziebart, in general)
    You did a good job of pulling your punches with your answer. I totally agree with the advice given!

Here on the West Coast we know nothing about rust but it seems spraying something over existing rust isn't going to do much good. 400.00 seems like a lot of money for spraying some solution here and there under a car but what do I know?
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I'd think spraying something over already damaged metal would just encourage more moisture inside the metal area and faster deterioration.