Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• cchanpacchanpa Member Posts: 3
    I have 97 camry with 90K miles and I have the same problem with most camry owners have. The blue smoke comes out from exhaust every time I start the engine after 3-6 hours.
    This is a toyota engine design error or manufacturing error and toyota of america heatquarters should aware of this problem.
    I called toyota to complain about this engine problem and they claimed they had not heard of the engine problem from toyota owners yet. Since my car is over 90K mile, toyota won't even cover my repair cost.
    My mechanic told me there are 6 out of 10 camrys will have this engine problem when 50-90K miles.
    I am very disappointed with toyota products especially camrys.
    :-(
  • jack600jack600 Member Posts: 11
    chanman

Do you have any idea what is the cause?

How did the mechenics saying?

It looks like the Valve Stem Seals damage, if it is a small leak, the Toyota will not admit it even if it is under warrenty. They would tell you it is carbonized valve cause by customer bad maintenance. So you need to find someone else to open engine to clean...

So you will never get reimbursted even under warranty as long as it does leak too much like tap broken...

Someone suggested to use Auto-RX to clean,but I do not believe it?

Any idea???
  • cchanpacchanpa Member Posts: 3
    jack600,

My mechanic told me there are no possible way to clean them. The engine needs to replace valve stem seals both intake and exhaust sides eventhough exhaust side requires to do work some cases.
    Right now, my car is in the shop for a couple of days. Hopefully, my mechanic would say you just need to replace valve stem seals.
  • banddexpressbanddexpress Member Posts: 63
    I have a spot on the side at the top of the trunk lid that is starting to rust. I was wondering what the warranty on rusting was. Would appreciate feedback.
    chanman

Maybe you are feeling better than me. My car is still under warranty, but local Toyota dealor refuse to admit their engine fault, and repair for me.
  • calvin888calvin888 Member Posts: 4
    Recently my 98 camry idle speed, after turning on the engin, is only 400. Sometimes, the engineer stopped because of low idle speed. However, once the car runs about half a mile, the idle speed goes back to normal. Do you have this problem?

Thanks,
  • llw1llw1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having 2 problems with my 2002 Camry SE. There's a noisy vibration coming from the engine when the car is in drive or reverse and stationery but the noise stops if I put the car in neutral. I haven't taken it to the dealership yet but need to. I was frustrated with the response that I received the first time I brought the car into the dealership for a loud popping noise coming through the speakers when I turn the car off. They couldn't duplicate the problem (although it happens probably 50% of the time you turn the car off) so nothing was done. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks,
  • weathermanbob1weathermanbob1 Member Posts: 17
    Hello. My left turn signal started flashing fast on Friday. I checked all the bulbs and they are good. The four way flashers are normal and the right turn signal is normal.

Any help would would be appreciated.

Happy motoring Bob
  • pugdaddypugdaddy Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I have a '99 Camry LE 4 cylinder and note that the check engine light is on again. I had the problem early on and the dealer replaced a sensor in the exhaust manifold at about 24,000 miles. Light is on at about 58,000 miles. Any ideas, and is it covered by the emissions warranty? The dealer was not overly cooperative in the first place so I'd like some info before I try again.

Thanks.
  • sam_beaversam_beaver Member Posts: 61
    the high-mounted rear brake light?
    Actually no. Will do. Thanks Bob
  • nate19nate19 Member Posts: 4
    My '95 4cyl Camry air conditioning has stopped working twice in one week. The green indicator light starts blinking and I get no cold air. I shut the a/c off, wait two minutes and when I turn it on again, it starts working fine.

Any ideas on the problem?

Thanks in advance
    Hello, I called my service manager and right away he new what the problem was. He told me to bring it over at my leisure and he would have a technician bend the ground contact on the front turn signal socket. They did and that did the trick. All is well. Happy motoring Bob
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    Well, after enduring a rattle for the last 2.5 years (that of course the dealer could not hear), I finally decided to pull the front passenger seat out and figure out the source.

It turns out that the bracket holding the power seat switches had two rivets which were not tightly put in, allowing the bracket to rattle. This would be a clear manufacturing defect, and an example of why Kentucky made Camrys are not as well assembled as Japanese made ones.

Anyway, some judicious hammering and gluing, and the seat is quiet, as it should have been from day one.

Incidentally, the whole seat is poorly made, with poor fitting plastic parts and brackets. I would assume the whole car is like that, and thus people who claim Japanese Camrys are quieter and better made are correct.
  • jim182jim182 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Camry SE 4 Cyl Manual transmission with an ongoing vibration in the transmission. I first noticed this problem a week after I purchased the vehicle. When I shifted into 3rd gear, the stick vibrated noisily and could only be controlled by holding onto the stick tightly. After a month of this, I took the car back to the dealership only to be told this was normal. I have been driving manual transmissions for 25 years and have never experienced anything like this. Upon further examination, Toyota did acknowledge the vibration and regarded it as a nuisance and not a problem but agreed to resolve it. After 3 weeks and several Toyota engineers later, the problem supposedly was resolved. The vibration in 3rd gear was gone. But 9 months later, the vibration appeared again in 5th gear. Interesting enough in both instances, I noticed the vibration only occurred when I pressed down on the accelerator. After a while, the vibration became progressively worse. In order to avoid hearing the vibration, I had to turn up the car stereo very loud in order to avoid hearing it. I then took the Camry back to the dealership in which again, Toyota acknowledged the vibration to be a nuisance. Toyota engineers from both regional and national attempted to resolve this by replacing the transmission twice using rebuilt transmissions of course. With this Camry having its 3rd transmission installed, the vibration was reduced but not resolved. Toyota could not fix the problem. Toyota also didn't explain why they could not put a brand new transmission into this car as well. Fortunately for me, this car is still under warranty and I ended up filing Lemon Law. Toyota did not want to arbitrate and agreed to give me a replacement or my money back. After considerable thought, I chose the money. Toyota plans to buy back the car soon after the paperwork is completed. I purchased a 2004 Honda Accord manual transmission and it handles and drives like a dream. Throughout the entire process, nobody at Toyota would say if this problem exists with other 2002 Camry SE manual transmissions. Unfortanely, I am very dissapointed with Toyota as a result of this experience. Are there any other 2002 Camry 4 cyl manual transmission owners out there with a similar vibration problem after manually shifting into a specific gear(s)? It would be interesting to know.

Best Regards
  • kfurrokfurro Member Posts: 1
    I received a letter from Toyota regarding my 1999 Camry, it refers to the engine problem as follows, " A very small number of Toyota owners have reported engine damage from a condition known as oil gelling or sludge. Oil gelling can occur inside an engine if the oil isn't changed often enough. ...Engines with oil gel damage will usually experience blue smoke from tailpipe and/or excessive oil consumption."
    I know one other 1999Camry owner who got this same letter,but a 2000 Camry owner did not. My mechanic, a good friend, mentioned that the "engine problem" was probably resolved in 2000 cars. He said that they can call it whatever they want(oil gelling) but the reason that a car would experience blue smoke is from oil being in the engine (valve stems?) where it is not suppose to be. He doubts it has anything to do with maintenance and more to do with flaw in engine design. Toyota recommends oil changes every 7500mi or 6mos. under normal operating conditions. I have proof of my maintenance and my car only has 43000 miles! Toyota was of no help they refuse to admit it is their problem but state (as per letter), "for eight years, unlimited mileage, ...we will cover the engine in your Toyota against oil gel related damage with a Customer Support Program."
    (Why would they do that if it wasn't a flaw in their engine design????? They think we're stupid!)
    IF you lease a 1999 Camry ,TURN IT IN - do not purchase it, you'll always have problems as this is a serious problem!
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    there have been a few posts in the past...I get a crackle or poping sound up by my ear on the drivers and passenger door. I think it's comming from the gasket area up by the top corner of the window where it seats itself into the door jam when closed. Surely I can not be the only one with this irritation. Has anyone else noticed or have any suggestions? I tried a silicon spray in the area but it did nothing. This is really starting to irritate me especially after I spent several $K more to get away from these intrusions I typically had in the Fords I was driving. If your dealer solved the problem and you are not sure how, please provide teh dealer name and I will call...my dealer feins ignorance and I am desparate! THANKS!!!!!
  • yankeryanker Member Posts: 156
    I had the same situation. A mechanic not a Toyota dealer told me to go to the auto shop and get STP smoke treatment. I used it over a couple of months and sure enough the problem went away/ The 96 car had about 80000 on it. That was a year ago.
    Richard

Though in your case STP works, it may not work for new Camry, for if Valve Stem Seal failed, the blue smoke was so strong in the morning,you think it is on fire. Because too many engine oil went into Combustion chamber. (So for the second start with not too long onee or two hours, will not be so strong)

What is your smoke looks like? Very strong in the morning starting?
  • joeblack1sjoeblack1s Member Posts: 5
    How does one know if the valves need to be adjusted. I notice this at the 48month maintenance and the dealer says it costs about $400. For an adjustment???
  • juzefjuzef Member Posts: 37
    Icstars,

I'd like to thank you for your analysis and
    advice. Currently, the car still shakes when
    breaking hard, but less than a month ago.
    It's almost bearable. Interesting don't you think. If the shaking gets worse, I will probably just get the breaks done all over again..this time I'll get new rotors and pads..and I'll demand a warranty.

Thanks Again,

Joseph
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    the valve clearance is adjusted via shims.

The only way to check to see, is by opening up the valve cover and do the whole procedure. It can be somewhat costly, especially if you have a V6
  • mk85mk85 Member Posts: 7
    Sometimes I hear a Buzzz sound when I accelerate. This does not happen all the time. When it does happen I let go of the gas pedal and then hit it again it disapears. I have a lexus es300 with 130,000 miles. Otherwise than that problem it runs great. Any advice???
  • pbwithpbwith Member Posts: 7
    Hi. I recently purchased a used 1999 Camry LE. From day #1, the brakes have squeaked really loud, while backing up. This is most noticable when the car is first started in the morning, or when it sits for awhile.

The dealer claims that this is normal. And, is due to metallic dust that builds up and the brake pads.

Just curious what you think ? The dealer claims that I received new brakes before I purchased the car.

Any other Camry owners have super squeaky brakes ? Is that normal, as the dealer claims ?

thanks.
  • jacks12jacks12 Member Posts: 2
    Runs fine for awhile, but after slowing down,ie exit ramp off highway.cuts out won't immediately restart, let sit for a minute or two starts right up.
  • bergm57bergm57 Member Posts: 9
    My wife and I purchased a Camry LE new in June of this year. We noticed noise from the dash and the doors rattling around 2000 miles. We have brought the car into the dealer three times. Initially, they had some success by insulating the window post and taking out the radio area of dash and insulating it. When we still had the problem of the passenger door rattling each time we go over a bump in the road we called the dealer and were told that they wanted a factory rep to look at it. I brought the car in and the rep drove it while I sat in the back seat. Each time we went over a bump the door rattled. He said that he did not hear it! He said there was nothing wrong with the car! The dealership then wrote up a ticket saying no problem was found. Now what do we do?

I have now driven several other 2002 Camrys and I am convinced that this is a factory defect. Every one of them rattle to some extent!
  • cannondale1cannondale1 Member Posts: 6
    My 2002 LE V6 suffered from hesitation at steady speeds between 35-45 mph. This is a known transmission programming problem for which there was no cure. My dealer contacted me last week - a new TSB had been released for the problem. The ECU was reprogrammed per TSB EG017-02 and seems to be noticeably better - more like a normal car. Just thought I'd pass this along to anyone else with the problem.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    this is not normal - have a different shop check your brakes...did you get a receipt from the dealer showing that the brakes were replaced?

valve adjustment - while it is an occasional maintenance items on these engines, I would not bother unless the valves have become really noisy. if you cannot be the judge of this, take it to a Toyota dealer - they will tell you if it needs doing. And $400 is too much - try $200. or less.

Rust: warranty for rust-through is 5 years/60K miles. But it has to be rust-through, not just surface rust. This is a little unusual on a trunk lid on such a new car - has the paint been damaged in that area by an accident or something? If it is still under bumper-to-bumper (3/36) I would go bug the dealer about it.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• 1camry1camry Member Posts: 2
    mk85,

Was your radio on? Your buzzing sound may be coming from your radio. Old cars used to have this problem with non-resistor spark plugs. The electro-magnetic emission from the sparks caused buzzing on the radio (especially AM). Although you say the noise goes away once you re-accelerate. So, this may not be the cause. Hope you find your problem.
    #1023:
    The morning dew causes a slight rust buildup on the rotor surface, the first initial braking will squeak as it cleans the rotors of the rust.

#1024:
    I'd start looking at the electronic components of the distributor. In your case, check the ignition coil and pickup assembly when the car is hot. Checking it while it's cold most likely will not reproduce the problems (this happened on my 84 Corolla....specifically asked him to check the car when it's hot...and he sucessfully reproduced the problem)
  • rujoshirujoshi Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have the same problem. The service people seem to ignore it. I bought a new Subaru Forrester and it has smaller engine but it is smoother than the Toyota Camry 2000 V6. I paid Top Dollars for the Camry V6. This issue of pedal vibrating has been there for a long time. I kept on thinking it will go away eventually ... may be the Camry V6 engine is breaking in or something. I have 33,000 miles now and the Dealership/Service people still have not responded and resolved it. They keep on going through tire rotation and other drills before addressing the problem.

Regards
    rishi
  • pacamrypacamry Member Posts: 2
    My wife and I recently purchased a certified used 1999 Camry CE as a second car. The dealership was great to work with although I feel they missed a few items that should have been checked as part of the certification process such as the tires being out of balance (the dealership did correct the problem). Now a new problem has occurred, the car has developed a squeak from what sounds like the left front wheel whenever I hit small bumps, regardless of speed. You can especially hear the noise when traveling over parking-lot speed bumps, but you can't hear it when the car is sitting still and you bounce it. Has anyone had this problem? I think there is a TSB issued on something like this but I'm not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The car has 40,000 miles on it.
  • msouersmsouers Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had transmission hesitation/shaking problems between the speed of 38 to 50 MPH. This only seems to happen when attempting to maintain a constant speed in this range. I have been told by my dealer for the past four months that Toyota is working on this problem but does not have a fix. They have also told me that this problem is not occurring in the new 2003 Camry's or any of the 4 cylinders engines, only the V6.
    ...in a 1999 Camry may have two applicable TSBs, one related to front strut mounts, and the other related to tie-rod ends. However, you may be out of the 3y/36k warranty to get these done under warranty if these are applicable.
  • cannondale1cannondale1 Member Posts: 6
    See my post #1026. The latest TSB fixed my problem.
    Hello. I have a 99 Camry V6 and have 66,000 miles on the original brakes and have never had any brake squeel!!! I live in sumter SC so there is plenty of morning dew. Actually plenty of all the time moisture to cause rotor rust. You can actually see it on the rotors. This place is pretty humid. Good luck everyone. BTW I still love my car and have had no problems so far. Happy motoring Bob
  • jtan3jtan3 Member Posts: 6
    Hi

I have a camry LE 99. Can anyone help me to explain this:

I have my camry full tank of gasoline and the gas indicator shown that this morning. While I am on the way to work, I saw the gas indicator suddenly drop to half and then slowly it moved up to normal level.

Is this an indicator of any malfunction and do I need any inspection?

Thanks.
    James
  • pacamrypacamry Member Posts: 2
    vcheng,

Thanks for your help. I'm going to call the dealer and see if they'll do anything. I've actually only owned the car for two weeks so hopefully they'll cover the repairs. By chance do you know the TSB numbers that may be applicable?

Thanks again.
    ...would be searchable on the NHTSA website, that's where I got them from for my car, but I've since forgotten the numbers, sorry.
  • wainwain Member Posts: 479
    Does the pull wire ever break?
    How would you then open the filler door?
    Anyway to get it from the trunk??
  • jtan3jtan3 Member Posts: 6
    Hi

I have a camry LE 99. Can anyone help me to explain this:

I have my camry full tank of gasoline and the gas indicator shown that this morning. While I am on the way to work, I saw the gas indicator suddenly drop to half and then slowly it moved up to normal level.

Is this an indicator of any malfunction and do I need any inspection?

Thanks.
    James
  • pwhewellpwhewell Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 XLE V6 suffers from: Not a smooth transition from 1st through 3rd - there is also some rattling between these gears; At a speed of 50-60 when letting the gas pedal up slightly it feels as though the cruise control is on and the car tends to lurch back;There are times that when depressing the gas pedal to pick up speed, it feels as though I am driving a 4 cylinder; and, is it normal for the engine, when first starting, to have a fast idle? The service manager said he cannot find anything wrong with it. I tend to strongly disagree and would like to get this problem resolved. I did notice from #1026 that there might be a solution to this. Has anyone else experienced any or all of these problems?
  • 2dogs2kids2dogs2kids Member Posts: 2
  • 2dogs2kids2dogs2kids Member Posts: 2
    I am looking for a Camry wagon, and of course, they are few and far between. Being really picky is not an option, but several people have given me differing advice regarding getting a V6 or a 4 cyl. I don't "need" the 6cyl, but with so few wagons to choose from, I'll take it, if it's the right car otherwise. I have heard,"stay away from the v6 or you will be in the same boat you are in now with your 760 Volvo wagon" (nuff said). And I have also heard the 6 cyl problems were mostly with trucks, so don't worry about it.
    I'm also considering a Honda accord wagon or a Subaru (certainly easier to find), as second preferences. Anyone have an opinion?
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    yes, Yes, YES!!! I have the same exact rattles..started at about 3000 miles. Periodically it sounds like wires or something vibrating behind the radio...emabarrasingly annoying...I bet with time there will be a fix for this one. Also have the SAME problem with a rattle around ear's height in the driver/passenger door. There have been a few complaints here and there on the board. The noise was and is suttle on rough pavement worse on bumps and worse when it gets colder. I have not had it looked at yet but expect it is a design flaw. Until enough people complain I am not surprised that the rep could not/won't hear it. Perhaps when the 'rattles like a Ford' jokes start coming from the Honda folks Toyota will quickly address the issue. I admit I am sensitive to rattles...which is why I purchased the Camry! Evedently the new model has some design defects. We shoud get a new topic on the board: CAMRY RATTLES. I know others are experiencing this...I have however found Camry owners not quite as willing to acknowlege/discuss quality issues...I think they just ignore them! Please let me know if you get any resolution on this...I'll do the same as I am making an appt to get it looked at soon. Boooo!
  • bergm57bergm57 Member Posts: 9
    Well it is good not to feel like the Lone Ranger. I have now driven 5 additional 2002 Camrys including one with about 20,000 miles and it was the worse of the lot. The passenger door and dash rattles in these cars. The Lemon law states (I am not a lawyer) that they can have 4 attempts to repair a warranty issue and then they have to refund or replace the vehicle.
    I think it is going to take a number of people coming forward and demanding repair on this to get them to do anything. I am going to try to start a discussion thread to gather the owners who have rattles together. Thanks for your input. My email is mbergman@kc.rr.com if you have additional info. PLEASE OTHER OWNERS WITH THIS PROBLEM CONTACT ME. Go in and make them fix it!!
  • bweavebweave Member Posts: 16
    I have the same rattles coming from both sides. It might be coming from where the seat belt attaches to the frame. Sounds like there's some plastic pieces rattling against each other in the seat belt height adjuster.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Yes, it is perfectly normal for the engine to idle up when you start it completely cold. These engines warm up so fast, you should only have the fast idle for a minute or two.

Camry wagon: it might be fairly hard to find a 4-cyl wagon? Not many were sold around where I live. The V-6 is not the same as the problematic truck engine - it is the same as the old Cressida engine that was also in some Supras as the base engine - it is a very reliable engine overall.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Nope, the old Cressidas and Supras used an inline 6 cylinder.
    the truck engines, both the V6 blocks are shared with the Camry V6 blocks.

the 3.0L truck engine was the 3VZ-E (SOHC, and had the head gasket problems) and the Camry V6 was the 3VZ-FE.

The 3.4L truck engine was the 5VZ-FE...all the VZ motors are iron blocks.
This discussion has been closed.