Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix Transmission Problems

14567810»

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    robrulz,
    If you were planning on returning to the dealer, we can look into this further with them. Please email us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a brief summary of the situation).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • fleetwood90fleetwood90 Member Posts: 1
    I am the proud owner of a 06 Gxp with 103k miles.It looks really good sitting in front of my house.I've had it for less than three months and its been diagnosed with a bad trans. :mad: I usually do research on a car before I buy but this time didn't.Big mistake on my part.I googled trans problems for this model yesterday and boy was I hit with a brick in the head.I'm glad I came across this site because I see that I'm not the only one with a head wound.When I put it in reverse it goes but when I shift to drive it may go until I come to a stop light.I have to turn it off for a few minutes and then It may go a few feet and repeat.I can't afford a transmission seeing that I'm on the third month of my payments.Dealership couldn't help because I didn't purchase warranty,so I will keep checking back here for any ideas.
  • drb10drb10 Member Posts: 5
    This car not only has transmission problems, I had to put a new one in last year 2005 Grand Prix, the brakes are an arm and leg to replace. But I love the way it runs.
  • markg16markg16 Member Posts: 14
    edited January 2013
    I feel your pain fleetwood90. I bought my 2007 GXP new...so I didn't have the advantage of websites like this.

The worse part is GM's total disregard for their customers. I've been a GM man for 35 years...owned at least 17 brand new GM products....but thanks to the way they treated me....and all of you....I will never buy another GM product...ever.

These GXP's should have been recalled years ago....and repaired 100% by GM. But those losers refuse to do anything about it.

Here's the website to report GM and their lack of action on this huge problem

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/online.cfm
  • dblake78250dblake78250 Member Posts: 3
    My wife today reported to me she had an Automatic Transmission problem shifting into a higher gear than it should have with a lot of noise at low speeds, forcing her to limp home through our subdivision. I immediately took a look, turned it on, popped the hood and checked the trans fluid. Last month I checked the fluid, it looked like the fluid level between the Full and Add holes on the stick. Today it looked over full, and rather bubbly. The Trans operating temp was stable at 201'. Then I took for a test drive. 10 minutes of subdivision driving, then onto the highway and then returned home through the sub again. No problem found.

Next I came to this forum, and I am amazed to find so many folks having this exact issue, so I know my wife experienced something, likely transmission slippage, possibly due to the computer not knowing how to deal with a possible change in transmission performance, and started acting like a beginner learning how to drive a stick.

The GP has only 69K, purchased 2 yrs ago under 50K. I'm a loyal GM buyer, currently there are four other Pontiacs in my driveway:

1999 Grand Am SE/2.4L with 302K. Owned since 2001 at 45K. Best car ever, it has original everything, until 285K, ran like a champ. Then the water pump finally sprang a leak, which my Good Year shop replaced along with the timing chain. Never ran well after that. Good bye Good Year.

2004 Grand Am SE/2.2L with 129K. Owned since 2006 at around 45K. Not a lucky car. That same year, Tropical Storm Erin caused flooding and destroyed the engine. So the engine was replaced, and then died again at 127K when my daughter burned out that engine not changing oil. The engine was rebuilt for 3K, and it remains a decent car, hope to get my moneys worth out of it.

2004 Grand Am GT/V6 with 99K. Owned since new. Running great, not much to say about it except it is sexy.

2008 G6/V6 with 80K. Owned since 71K last year, and is quite sharp.
  • ann75ann75 Member Posts: 4
    This is how my problem began. I had trans replaced at 75000 miles last year. GM did assist with cost but you have to call their customer service and have it checked out and done at GM dealership. It has been a chronic problem with these cars. Should have been a recall done
    dblake78250,

If you would like for us to help get you set up to get this checked into by a dealership, or want for us to follow up on any visits you may have already made, we can be contacted at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation so far).

• savvytsavvyt Member Posts: 1
    I am also having he same problem with my 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix. What is GM doing about this problem in so many of its cars?
    Not a thing.

A decent company would have enacted a recall and paid 100% of the repairs.

GM on the other hand refuses to accept responsibility for this overwhelming problem.

Please file a complaint with NHTSA at this address:

• ddoster1967ddoster1967 Member Posts: 8
    NOT A DAMN THING. THEY WILL NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT! ESPECIALLY SINCE THEY DON'T EVEN MAKE PONTIAC ANY MORE. I WISH I HAD FOUND THIS SITE BEFORE I BOUGHT THE ONE WE HAVE.

The only thing I can tell you is if you have a transmission replaced - better do it through a GM certified shop like the dealer. My wife had a local mechanic replace her tranny with a Jasper tranny. We contacted customer relations for GM and tried to see if we could get some compensation but since a dealer service shop didn't do the work, no luck. The dealer cost to replace the tranny was practically the same as the shop my wife used. So check prices and be smart. The Jasper tranny comes with a 100,000 mile warranty btw. Good luck with it. I just gave you more help than I got from GM. lol pathetic car company.
    edited January 2013
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

It's pretty sad when a transmission explodes at 47,000 miles with all required services documented (including trans flush and refill) and done by GM dealerships..........and they refuse to completely pay for it.
  • cindydunagancindydunagan Member Posts: 1
    When I purchased my 2007 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP it had 81,000 miles on it. This didn't worry me because I had 235,000 miles on my '04 GT and have never had a a bit of trouble with it. Besides it had a 100,000 mile warranty. At 97,000 miles the transmission went out. At the time I thought I was lucky because the warranty covered it. HOWEVER, now less than 10,000 miles later, it is going out again-and no warranty. A new one is $2800 plus labor. Really?! This is my third Grand Prix but now I see why they no longer make Pontiacs. I have always loved GM products but my experience with this car has changed my mind.
  • robrulzrobrulz Member Posts: 4
    us too bud.. we will not be buying anymore GM vehicles
    cindydunagan,
    Sorry to hear about the transmission problems you're having. If we can check into this further for you, please contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com (please include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).

• mtdzwillmtdzwill Member Posts: 6
    My wife's 2006 GXP just had the tranny replaced by the dealer. They opened it up and found the third gear pack had been burned up. We got 146,000. miles out of the original tranny. I had bought an extended warranty from a company knowing the trans was going. But the Warranty Company said since I did not do the 50,000. miles fluid change they would not cover it. Pontiac Warranty Service book says 100,000. miles for normal driving. I did it at 88,000. So a fight is coming which I hopefully will win. I opted for a new trans not a rebuild. A little more money but it came with a 3 year 100,000. mile warranty. Worth it. The car runs great and is smooth as hell. First long trip got 24.5 mpg. I still wish Pontiac would wake up and start backing the transmission.
    mtdzwill,
    Is your extended warranty one of our GMPP plans?
  • als_xoals_xo Member Posts: 1
    Hey everyone, having an issue with my '03 GP GT 3800, ~280,000k (don't judge). The tranny feels like it's slipping. If I take off too quickly from a stop, of if I punch it on the highway to pass, it just overrevs to the point that if I don't let off the gas and let it calm down, I can't re-engage the gears. This only just started last week. Now, before this, I was having the hard shift issue, which I've just been blaming on my bad O2 sensors sending out a misread. Could this slipping issue be associated with that as well, or am I way off track? I'm looking to get a new car this fall, but I'm worried this car won't hold out that long.. Any suggestions? Thanks!
  • richsolnuvrichsolnuv Member Posts: 6
    edited May 2013
    2007 GXP that I bought new. I appear to have the same transmission problem that most people are reporting. 109,000 miles, but it's been acting up for a while. No codes when checked in the past. $2800 plus tax to replace the transmission. I've emailed gm@socialmedia.com to see if there is any assistance they can provide to help to reduce the cost. The car had a 100,000/5 Year warranty and of course this doesn't happen till after the warranty expires. I'll post any updates and response that I receive.
    edited May 2013
    Sounds like a duplicate of my 2007 GXP that I also bought new....but mine only made it to 47,000 miles before the TCC exploded and destroyed the transmission.

Like you, mine went just after the 5 year/100,000 mile warranty expired...even though I didn't even make it halfway on the 100,000 mile part.

I had the transmission checked and flushed just a few months prior to the destruction and while it was still under warranty. All service including every oil change was done by the GM dealership since I owned the car.

GM still made me pay them $1000 for a replacement transmission even though there are close to 400 "known" instances of GXP trannies exploding like this.

Good luck with GM social media though....they were completely useless in my case. The only reason that I was able to get any help from GM was through the Service Manager at my dealership. (Amusingly the GM social media people were so out of the loop that the guy from their office that kept calling me and getting absolutely nothing accomplished.....didn't even know that the service manager had already made arrangements.)

Good Luck however.....and remember to report GM at

• ddoster1967ddoster1967 Member Posts: 8
    I really hope you had that done at a certified GM service center like a dealership. If you didn't then you can kiss any hope of "assiatance" from GM. We had ours replaced by a local mechanic and contacted them. No luck. GM doesn't stand behind their product. One of the biggest ripoffs out there. Good luck though.
    It's getting done at Chevy Dealership.
    Since I posted about this issue back in January a few months back, the problem hasn't recurred. My wife has only put on an additional 3,000 miles since the first occurrence at 69K, and watch since I'm writing about it, something will go wrong.

She is babying it, spreading the mileage we drive between other cars as much as she can, but still the GP is her DD.

She wants to sell and not take any steps to investigate, fearing the actions would be reported to CARFAX and devalue the car.

Sad to hear as many complaints (which must be very real) about this car. You never know if you buy a :lemon:

Good Luck Y'all!
  • anamarkieanamarkie Member Posts: 3
    Ya know the more I read about the Grand Prix that sadder I am. I did have my transmission repaired by an outside dealer due to I do not trust any of the dealers here. The sad thing is, I was requested to send a copy of the Bill to GM and guess what that is the last time I heard from anyone at GM. SAD SAD SAD........ My daughter would like to buy a GM product and I am nearly in tears for her not to. They do not stand behind their product or their customers!
  • kath1402kath1402 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 pontiac grand prix and it will shift hard or when I sitting on a hill and getting ready to take off it slips. I am getting ready to go on vacation and I think the transmission will probably go out. I think Pontiac needs to be responsible and replace all these bad transmissions... :mad: :sick:
    A week and a day later the transmission was finally replaced and the car was ready to be picked up. The socialmedia@gm.com person got involved and it looked like we were going to get a small discount. When we picked up the car there was no discount and we were told that the discount was reflected in the original quote. So after spending about $3,500 for the transmission and a wheel hub we have a transmission that still down shifts hard when you "get on it" to pass and we were told that a motor mount needs to be replaced. The dealership did provide a free loaner since it took a day or two longer for them to get the transmission and then when the finally got it the tech was off that day. It least it came with the 3 year/100,000 mile warranty. It's going back soon to have the transmission fixed again.
    So the money pit continues. Another $700+ to have the motor mounts replaced and the car shifts or slips all the time now when accelerating from a dead stop. Paper work says tech drove it and it was fine. What's next? Over $4,000 spent in less than 2 weeks and it's still not fixed. I think I see a new Honda in my future.
  • shawniboyy85shawniboyy85 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 GXP with 64,000 miles. I've already replaced 3 wheel bearings/hubs and now the 4th is bad. my back tires even after an alignment don't seem to be right since the tires wear more on the inside. I never use my tapshift.... not even to slow down. I went with ceramic brakes for less wear on the expensive rotors. As of 2 months ago the transmission has been acting up. sometimes when it downshifts from second to first the whole car vibrates. here and there when im going to take off it will hesitate and slam into to gear and take off (did it for 2-3 days and hasn't since). biggest concern now is when I am not accelerating its starts to make a decent noise level raspy sound. when I hit the gas it stops. from what ive found out doing some research GM used the same transmission for the v8 as the v6. poor idea. the car is basically destroying itself. Bigger wheels with molded spacer is a lot of stress on wheel bearings/hubs (which are also the same as the base grand prix with small wheels. the v8 is abusing the transmission. the gtp offers tapshift because it is the same tranny. sad part is I love the car and it is good looking. but is just a very poor design and not worth anything near what I paid for it. I was looking at a car and the GM dealership offered me $7,000. I wanted to throw up. Guess im keeping it and dumping more money in it. im going with a Bmw next lol
  • bbaisdenbbaisden Member Posts: 14
    I would like to share a little information with everyone on here that I have discovered through research & having some inside contacts. GM began designing & producing this model during a very unstable economic time for the company (has anyone forgotten the government bailout?). If you will, imagine this scenario; GM is going broke, cars are not selling. There are large inventories of components sitting in warehouses rusting & costing them money. Then a light bulb goes off in some geniuses head, "hey, why don't we take these components we have sitting in warehouses & use them to produce a vehicle that we'll call premium in every way including the sticker price, but use all these components that were made & designed for another vehicle :D. So Mr.genius proceeds to map out this plan on paper, which lets be honest looks really impressive to the corporate blood suckers sitting at the top of world headquarters drinking their lattes. It is a inexpensive vehicle to produce, we'll throw a V8 in it, make the brakes look really cool & use some other spare parts we have in our inventory for the suspension. Then we'll market this baby to middle class buyers that are bored with the same old family grocery getter sedan. We'll mark the price up because we are going to call it a premium model & our profit margin will be outrageous. Woo hoo, were smarter than we ever knew! This is the sad but true truth of why these cars are nothing more than scrap steel & aluminum. GM obviously suffered from not being able to see possible long term issues with this idea, which is very common within the auto industry. If GM were to admit accountability for this, which beyond a shadow of a doubt they are, how would they ever pay back the money they owe to the government? The bad press coverage alone would potentially cost them 100,000 or more customers, so we GXP owners that might reach 10,000 to 15,000 in the few years they were produced are the unwilling victims. My numbers may be low or high, but you get the basic idea. You will never find one of these vehicles that do not have these problems, but there are a few things you can do to help prolong the life of the transmission. Of course all of them will be at the cost of your pocketbook. Install a quality transmission cooler, these transmissions run extremely hot & the factory coolers are insufficient at best. Remember when it comes to transmissions, heat is the number one killer (in normal conditions). If you are already having shuttering or shifting problems, this will not cure your trans. It is mostly trashed by that point & rebuilding or replacement is the only option unfortunately. Consult a mechanic that is familiar with our specific model, inquire about replacing the motor mounts to something less rigid. This rigidness could be a major contributor to why the torque converter seems to self destruct. I wish everyone the best of luck!
  • holli80holli80 Member Posts: 1
    On Friday after leaving the Indy 500 Carb Day events I was driving the short distance home and going into third gear I felt a noticeable slip in my transmission. This has never occurred before. It then drove fine. On Saturday I left to go to the grocery store and once again I felt the slip. I immediately parked it at home and took it to Edwards Transmissions today.
    The details of my vehicle is it's a 1996 Grand Prix GTP 3.4v DOHC. The previous owner had a few minor performance parts installed.
    I have received the details of my transmission issue, which thankfully is not a total failure, but internal components are compromised. I decided to have a total overhaul at the very nice price of $1600. I could have paid the $800 to fix the issues, but while they have it out, I figured lets make sure that it is at peak performance.
    I was clocked 0-60 in 4.7 seconds around six months ago, so my hope is that a tranny overhaul will vastly increase the performance of this car that I love so much.
    Any ideas on how my cars performance may be enhanced with a complete transmission overhaul?
  • rmay0405rmay0405 Member Posts: 1
    Wow I am in the exact same boat as you and your wife. My car was recently making loud sounds as my car shifted from first to second gear, and all of a sudden it went out on me on my way to work. I cant drive my car in the normal drive gear but I can in the lower gears.

Is there anything that your and your wife did to get compansated or any help from GM?
    Good luck to you. I spent over $4,000 and had the car back at the dealer 3 times and the better part of a month without a car before it got fixed (for now). All I got from GM was "I feel your pain".
    The problem (for now) ended up being a bad valve body in the re manufactured transmission that they installed. There was no charge to fix it, but they had it another week and I had spent over $700 to have the motor mounts replaced when that wasn't the problem.
    I updated my original post on May 08, 2013 #481. We've never had the car serviced, nor has the problem reoccurred. I manage my fluids myself, changed the oil last weekend. The tranny fluid looked in good shape, up to the top of the level. My wife wants to not press the issue, and get rid of the car altogether, before it starts trouble again, and breaks the bank.
  • gxpjoeygxpjoey Member Posts: 5
    Amen brother! Of all the bs talk from customer service as to what could be wrong with my 06 GXP Tranny, you sir sound like you have the ultimate answer.I just turned 80k on mine and Its time for an import! No more Garbage Motors!Thanks for the 411.
    Good Luck however.....and remember to report GM at

• chrisd2chrisd2 Member Posts: 8
    I have been reading the Pontiac Grand Prix GXP transmission posts with interest and decided to post hoping someone from Gm would see this and respond, or maybe someone could tell me how to reach some one in authority at GM. I just had my fourth,that's right fourth transmission installed in my GXP in 89,000 miles.The dealer who rebuilt the other transmissions "only" charged me $1621.00 this time it was out of warranty by about 18 days and could not be covered under the 100000 mile ,3 year guarantee. Last time it was $1850 or so. The time before it was only $ 500.00 that one lasted approximately 2,000 miles. When i picked up the car it had many new scratches and a nice new ding. The heads up display also did not work. Back to the dealer today they tell me the problem is inside the dashboard and not related. WhenI called GM I had the pleasure of speaking to someone named Tommy who sounded like he was stoned. He could not string together a even half coherent sentence had no answers just told me my car was out of warranty. Anybody have any Ideas, could really use some help.
  • mistymousergxpmistymousergxp Member Posts: 3
    hello my name is misty and i am having tranny troubles with my gxp to. i have located a transmission that fixes all of GM's flaws. as soon as i can locate that website again i will let you know
  • mistymousergxpmistymousergxp Member Posts: 3
    i have found the website i was talking about. they say they have fixed the flaws in the pontiac trannys. im fixin to get one for mine. try www.tripleedgeperformance.com the high performance one is right under $1900.00 and you can also add other stuff to make it better. they build it when you order it. i hope this helps.
    misty
  • chrisd2chrisd2 Member Posts: 8
    I would like to thank all the people who responded to my earlier post. I heard from pontiac the very next morning, they were very concerned about my situation. After three weeks of being shuffled from one person to the next, I was told there was nothing they could do for me because my vehicle was out of warranty. They stated that they had helped me through their assistance program by reducing the price of the transmissions.
    I responded by asking them if they considered transmissions a wear item and asking them to give me an answer as to why I would need four transmissions in 89,000 miles. They only would repeat their mantra that they had helped me and my vehicle was out of warranty. This has been a very frustrating and eye opening experience.
    Not sure what my next move will be considering a lawsuit have spoken to my attorney.
  • samgxpsamgxp Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    my automatic transmission is not working. I now have to put the car in manual gear and use the tap shift to drive. the car hesitates a lot in first gear, and the transmission seems to be sliping in manual gear. I don't understand why the automatic transmission does not work??
    2005 I'm at Grand Prix GXP
    98,000 mi

please help!
  • mrs1986mrs1986 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2015
    Hello everyone...I'm the owner of a 07 grand prix.. I've had my car for about 2 years now..one month into owning it, fuel pump went. The car was still under warranty so it didn't kill my pockets...lol I've always kept up on it's maintenance. Prior to owning this one I had a 99 grand prix...so last month the transmission slipped. I was at stop sign, preceded to go, car jerked extremely hard..I pulls the car over, turn it off then turn back on and it wouldn't move in DRIVE. Something told me to put the car in another gear and it moved... Car only moves in reverse & 1st & 2nd gear, barely and slower. Aamco told me to either get it rebuilt or replaced.. I don't have $2200 to kick out.. I stumbled across the blog and it's amazing how many of you guys are experiencing this same thing.....This should definitely be apart of a major recall.. I love my Pontiac and I don't wanna give up on it.. what will the dealership do if I take it to them? The warranty expired on it back in October. and on top of this, I still have to make payments on the car as well..I seen someone mention another warranty the car might be under.. I think a 5yr powertrain.....PLEASE HELP!!
  • pwink50pwink50 Member Posts: 1
    I wish I could post all over the internet . Do not buy a Grand pix or the tranny then put in the car does not have enough power for the motor. GM screwed everyone who bought one of these eventually you will have to have a new tranny. Why they cannot see this I don't know. Everyone I know who has owed one has had to replace the tranny . Wish I would have gotten off mine earlier. Other then that I love the car. But what a rip off GM
  • markg29markg29 Member Posts: 1
    Well.....I'm back. In 2012 I reported here about my 2007 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP transmission going out at just 47,000 miles. I bought it new, took exceptional care of it.....always brought it to the dealer for maintenance....never even used the paddles since I bought it.

After a few days of going back and forth....GM agreed to put in a new transmission...if I paid $1000 deductible. I was reluctant.....but I had no choice.

Well here it is 5 years later.....but only 35,000 mileslater....and the exact same problem is occurring again.

How can 2 transmissions go bad in just 82,000 miles?
  • 08gpgxp08gpgxp Member Posts: 1
    Hi Everyone, I have an 08 GP GXP with 160000 kms on it. I bought it with 45000 kms and after putting about 30000 kms on it, The transmission started slipping. When its cold, I put into D or R and it doesn't even feel like it goes into gear at all. NO "drop" feeling or anything. Then after heating up it gets the proper feeling if I put it in P then D or R again. Also sometimes it will start to shift really hard then SES, service traction/stability system illuminates a few mins of driving. After a few days it stops shifting hard and all the illuminated lights turn off and repeats the cycle. Clearly there is a serious problem with these trannys!! I'm going to trade her in while the lights are not illuminated. Such a shame. I love the car otherwise. HUD is awesome too.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    Let me think. You bought it with 30,000 miles on it. After about 20,000 miles more you noticed slipping? What service did you have done on the transmission at that time? Fluid and filter changed and refilled with proper Dexron VI fluid? You don't even mention the fluid color at the time of the symptoms as an anecdotal way of determining the degree of slipping and damage to the fluid.

Further, continuing to drive the vehicle with the slipping instead of fixing it doesn't help the transmission life.

And beyond that the hard shifting is the transmission computer adapting to not being able to control the shift time duration, so it goes into limp mode. This could be anything from a control valve needing service replacement to damaged clutch plates.

The car is GXP model with extra power. Was it driven in a more aggressive manner than normal? That can be to the detriment of a transmission.

"Clearly there is a serious problem with these trannys!!" begs the question of lack of timely service based on the report given here. I've had 3 of these transmissions in the H-body. Neighbors have had the GP models with the related transmission. Don't know of a single one with a failure. Neighbor currently has a GP with nearly 200,000 miles on it. Previous car was GP with superchaged engine and 150,000 mi when it was rear ended and totalled.

I'd check into a tranmission repair since they are very common and easy to work on. The idea of finding one in a junkyard with the GXP specs that's not been abused would be lower. I'd invest a $1500 into a good rebuild by knowledgeable shop.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,