Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Which Diesel Pickup Should I Buy?

13»

Comments

• jetjock2jetjock2 Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for pointing that out. It is a fact that Ram no longer uses Dana axles on the Heavy trucks. They did off and on for years and so did Ford. I was attempting to point out that many of the drive line component suppliers to the big three are the same, and to single out Dodge and say that their drive line components are crap is silly. The new Ram Trucks are equipped with transfers cases made by Borg Warner, but New Process cases were used in GM, Ford, and Dodge through the 70's behind auto and manual transmissions.
    My opinion is that some people are too quick to throw stones at the competition when in fact the quality is often times very similar. Sure, we have our preferences... But to run down the others based on a "my buddy said he had one and it went thru 6 transmissions in three years" is nonsense. I just don't believe that a truck could be that undependable unless it was being abused pure and simple. I could push all three of the "big three" trucks to failure, and there is no clear winner because they could ALL be built better! I garentee you that all three manafactures have taken back a considerable amount of trucks on the lemon law...
  • weknowdieselsweknowdiesels Member Posts: 1

Funny how so many dodge cummins owners claim they have more towing power than the duramax. I own a 2006 chevy duramax with 300,000 miles on original transmission and engine. I never had a problem towing and this trucks life has been hauling weight. I happen to be a ASE Master mechanic and one thing I dont want to do is repairs on my truck, so I keep it maintained. My truck now has EFI Live, 5 inch exhaust, Air Dog lift pump, Swepco Engine and gear oil and a K&N Air filter. I always use Wix oil and transmission filters. I can get 23 mpg haul a car trailer loaded.

I recommend anyone looking to buy a new diesel to google "dodge ford chevy king of the hill"

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited April 2014

"We wanted to be one of the first owners of a Ram with the new diesel, so we searched far and wide to find a truck that worked for us."

2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Long-Term Road Test

• KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516

@weknowdiesels said:
    My truck now has EFI Live, 5 inch exhaust, Air Dog lift pump, Swepco Engine and gear oil and a K&N Air filter. I always use Wix oil and transmission filters. I can get 23 mpg haul a car trailer loaded.

The appropriate question is, what was your mileage before all the mods, as the majority of people leave their powertrain, fuel system, and exhaust stock. Axle ratio also has a large effect on diesel fuel economy for heavy-duty pickups... that 4.10 feels great when you stomp on the go pedal, but you'll be stopping way more often to fill the tank.

• adambronstoneadambronstone Member Posts: 2
    i need to buy a diesel truck for towing purposes.....for a horse trailer....which is the best truck for this...since i need as much torque as i can get...and are the new diesels (ram, silverado) as good as the older ones?