Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• bezaharbezahar Member Posts: 20
    found a disscussion on the Solara board: (floating calipers.)

scsolara "Toyota Solara--Part 6" May 18, 2001 8:29am

My solara '00 Se v6 manual did this as well it was more of a loud click then a thump though as I remember. One of the other items that some people had been disscussing at one time was the fuel tank actually makeing a thunking noise. Mine never did that though.
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    a safety issue?
  • bezaharbezahar Member Posts: 20
    Not that I'd heard of
  • wainwain Member Posts: 479
    Anyone had one of these?
    I am getting a little oil in the middle and the bottom of the timing belt cover, and I think its coming from the camshaft end seal.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    those oil seals do start to leak eventually. It's best to change them with every timing belt change. It's about an additional $30 to the timing belt job.
    I had the belt done at 60k by the dealer.
    now 105k.
    I doubt the seal was replaced at 60k - all up cost at dealer, inc belt was like $150 at the time in 1999.
  • armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    Yea, wish I had mine done at the 120,000 mile mark. Still original. At this point only minor seepage, nothing to write home about. engine only uses 24-28 ounces of oil between 7500 mile changes (seepage and consumption) so I cannot complain at 153,000 miles.
    for nissan maximas there is a web site that has step by step pictures of many repairs
    http://www.motorvate.ca/

since there are probably 5x as many camrys as maximas, is there a similar site for Camrys?
  • efontaineefontaine Member Posts: 10
    Right now, the antenna on my 96 camry is stuck in the raised position. When I turn the car on and off, you can hear the motor running. Any solutions?
    take the thing in the trunk apart, get the broken drive piece out and replace it with one from Pep boys Harada brand OE (19.99) or the same part from Toyota at $39.99
    As noted above the plastic track belt for the shaft has broken. requires removing the unit in the trunk, then removing a few bolts and once apart the old belt comes out. reinstall, then place the new track into the hole and move the key to acc. The motor will catch the new belt and the rest is obvious. More like $75=$100 at a dealer with labor. Or, you can remove or unplug the motor and go with one that stays up permanently!
  • ivbd85ivbd85 Member Posts: 5
    Uhh does anybody know what's going on here... I am 17. Just bought a 1995 Camry Le (4cyl.) in December 2002. Purchase price was 3800. Since I bout the car I put new brake pads and rotors, but this doesn't matter. As of now I have black exhuast smoke coming out of my pipe, especially when the gas tank is below 1/4. Strong gas smell often accompanies the problem. Does anyone know what's up. Not to mention the fact that the idle jumps back and forth from 0-1 and the car vibrates inside???? Dont want to put alot of money into the car to fix it. I only plan to keep it till im 18 in Dec2003, but the prob is really getting serious. Wont pass inspection of course.
  • elrlawelrlaw Member Posts: 20
    '98 Camery CE, 6cyl, AT. Pulls left. Front inside tire treads wearing abnomally. Possible causes? Possible solutions? Thanks, elrlaw
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    ivbd85: Black smoke means the engine is running too rich. Tons of causes, ranging from: blocked air filter, bad mass air flow sensor, blocked throttle plate, bad spark plugs, bad ignition coil, bad spark plug leads, bad O2 sensors, bad fuel injectors etc etc. How many miles on the car and it's history? Any engine codes? You may need to spend some money (depending on the cause(s) from 50 to over 2000 dollars) to get this sorted out unfortunately.

elrlaw: Likely cause: Bad alignment. Solution: Take it to a workshop for a wheel alignment. About 60-80 dollars excluding any parts such as bent suspension components (if required).
  • frd2kfrd2k Member Posts: 1
    DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO CHANGE THE BULB.HAD EVERYTHING OFF BUT DON'T SEE A BULBIS IT IN THE INDICATOR IF IT IS HOW DO OPEN IT UP.THANK YOU
  • elrlawelrlaw Member Posts: 20
    Additional info. for my inquiry #1284 re: Camery pulling left. Pull left is most pronounced when quick acceleration is made at lower speed. When accelerator is not depressed, steering does not pull. Thanks for any help you give.
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    ...may be affected by torque steer such as what you describe, which may be a symptom of bent components, and/or out of alignment suspension.
  • placebidplacebid Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I'm looking to buy a new 4 D sedan. As an older female I need a car I don't need to worry about (ha if that is possible !). AFter reading posts for the Camry, I'm wondering if this car is right for my situation? I'm getting rid of a minv van and looking at Camry, Accord, Taurus & Stratus/Sebring... any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • kybillkybill Member Posts: 44
    My wife drives a 2000 Camry XLE 4 door and really likes the car. Room, handling, safety, comfort and Toyota reliability are hard to beat. Prior to this, she drove an Olds Bravada and she wasn't sure she would like going back to a car. Now, I'm not sure she would go back to an SUV. Anyway, I suggest that you give the Camry serious consideration.
  • s15as15a Member Posts: 14
    Hi,

I have a 129K miles on 1990 Camry. Need to change both axles(clicking sounds when turning). Dealer says inner boots are gone. From calling around/web research, it appears it better to change the axles because the labor is the same.

1. My question is are the AutoZone or Oreilly CV axles good enough for this job? Dealer CV axles are horribly expensive. Which is better Autozone or Oreilly Auto Parts?

2. What does an American Made 1990 Camry 4 cylinder with stick shift take for CV axles? Bolt-on or Slip-on CV axles? Autozone couldn't tell me(i'd have to get down under the car to look at it). Oreilly said bolt on.

Thanks.
    Hi,

I have a 129K miles on 1990 Camry. Need to change both axles(clicking sounds when turning). Dealer says inner boots are gone. From calling around/web research, it appears it better to change the axles because the labor is the same.

1. My question is are the AutoZone or Oreilly CV axles good enough for this job? Dealer CV axles are horribly expensive. Which is better Autozone or Oreilly Auto Parts?

2. What does an American Made 1990 Camry 4 cylinder with stick shift take for CV axles? Bolt-on or Slip-on CV axles? Autozone couldn't tell me(i'd have to get down under the car to look at it). Oreilly said bolt on.

Thanks.
    Hi,

2. What does an American Made 1990 Camry 4 cylinder with stick shift take for CV axles? Bolt-on or Slip-on CV axles? Autozone couldn't tell me(i'd have to get down under the car to look at it). Oreilly said "bolt on" CV axles.

Thanks.
  • ctaylor4ctaylor4 Member Posts: 9
    I have a '02 Camry LE. It pulls to the left...on a highway, with in 50 yards I can drift into the other lane if I hold the steering wheel loose.

The dealer said its not the alingment. The tires are good.

The wierd thing is that i drove 3 used 2002's and a new 2003 and they all seem to do it.

I also find myself having to correct to the right a little. Its not something that happens when i brake.

I know it could be connected to the brakes in some way...has anyone experienced or heard of this being a problem with '02/'03 Camry Le's?
  • 1violinist1violinist Member Posts: 338
    Ctaylor4:

I used to have a Chrysler LeBaron that had the same problem. Even after having the wheel alignment service the problem remained. It turned out to be a defect in the rack and pinion. I don't know if that's the case with your Camry.

Another thought: does it happen all the time in all places? I drive a certain route where there's always a cross-wind from the right, which makes the car pull to the left.

Good luck!
    Tony
    thanks! I'm not sure why all of the ones I drove did this pulling thing.

i drove on all different roads because the dealer told me the highway in front of their place was uneven. (hmmmm)

I took the one I'm thinking of buying back to the dealer and made the service manager go for a ride. he said it shouldnt do that. there going to look into it tomorrow.

the dealer and salesman have been great dealer so far...they've gone pretty far to make sure i'm happy..and this is a used car.

I signed a contract on it to get 3.9% financing which ended 2/28, but its all contingent on me accepting the vehicle. And i'm holding a down payment check until its ok.

if anyone is in Delaware and looking for a good dealer..i'll let you know how this all goes. so far so good. they're giving me a loaner car tomorrow, which is cool.
    Sounds like a good dealer, but do NOT buy the car unless the problem is accurately diagnosed, properly fixed and guaranteed to you IN WRITING!

Gool luck!
    Tony
  • jdeibjdeib Member Posts: 70
    My '02 SE had a rattle that seemed to be behind the glovebox. My dealer was able to fix it by retorquing the strut bolts. The TSB number is SU001-03. If anyone knows of TSB fixes for any other rattle issues please post them. I am having an intermittent rattle on the driver's side where the seatbelt mounts to the side pillar.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jayme
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    This was posted by: macabee who works at a Toyota delaership...I live in PA where the door pillar rattle only surfaces when the temp is above 35 or so...which would be a heat wave at this point in time...I am hopefull in the spring the dealer can fix the door pillars without creating other rattles. Also, when the temp is below 35, I get an assortment of other rattles from the dash...hopefully these go away in the spring. Finally, I copied your post to the RATTLES forum where there are quite a few folks who will appreciate the TSB number...personally I have heard of these strut noise solutions. But in my car the rattle really appeards to come from the dash, mostly on the drivers side. Here was mackabee's post:

Andre, sorry for not getting back to you sooner. It's month end around here and I don't know why but seems like everybody and their sister want to buy a car at the end of the month. I didn't get the TSB numbers but they do exist, I even saw the one for the "thunk in the trunk" most are very easy fixes, the thunk in the trunk and even some in the front are from the struts. The nut that goes over the struts were not tightened to specs according to the tsb. I'm sure if you bring this up to your service department they can look them up for you. Have them look in the TIS computer, they should know what you are talking about or in the Dealer Daily. If they ask how you know about these systems, just tell them you have connections with Toyota ; )
                             Mackabee
    You're right...i wont buy it unless its perfect and guaranteed in writing.

when we drew up the contract i had them write this on it...that i could back out of the deal unless I was satisfied it was ok. Assuming they fix it and tell me what was wrong and it makes sense to me, I'll add that also. thanks.

i have the balance of the 36 month warranty..and its certified (although i thought they were supposed to check these things!) and they added bumper to bumper to the certified warranty...so its covered with that until 2008.

other then that problem the car seems great...12k miles, clean. they said they got them thru toyota, who was leasing them on a one year program..i think around Washington DC. They have like 8 of them.

so far its been my best experience with a dealer. hopefully it continues.

everything in writing!! this thing will have to drive dead straight and they'll have to write down exatly what was wrong.

thanks

colleen
    Hey Colleen!

Since they're trying so hard to please you, you might as well tell them to install an in-dash 6-cup Coffee Maker hooked up to the cup holders!!! :-)

If you have a 36 month warranty, that will cover your car till 2006 not 2008. It should also mention the mileage (usually 36,000), whichever comes first. Please double check all the info before you accept the deal.

Let me know how things go.
    Tony
    My CV boots cracked in half last year and one CV joint was semi ruined due to dirt. I did not have it done at a dealer. However, the place that did replace it stated this. Parts no longer made by Toyota for my year, they are all aftermarket parts whether they come from the dealer or another shop. Second, it was less expensive to replace the entire axle (which includes the CV joint) then to replace just the joint. Total cost for me for three boots and the replacement half axle was $300. Boots alone would have been $140. No alignment necessary on Toyotas when this is done.
    well i get a big 'duh'....i didnt mean to type a 36 month warranty. i guess i was thiking about the 36k miles and 3 years. so there is the balance of the 3 years, then the certified on the power train, which is 6 years from 2002...and they added bumper to bumper to the certified...so thats how it gets to 2008 with bumper to bumper. thats a better warranty then if i'd bought it new!

dropped it off this morning and they gave me a loaner car. so far the dealer gets a 10...we'll see how it all plays out.

i'll try for the in-dash 6-cup Coffee Maker hooked up to the cup holders! ya never know!

thanks again

colleen

i'll try for the
  • jtlanejrjtlanejr Member Posts: 35
    try www.axlexchange.com. I have done business with them as they are local to me. Even with shipping, I bet they will be cheaper than your local parts store. They are normally around $65 for a rebuild axle with two new boots.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    incorporate the CV joint and the axle as a single component, so it is impossible to replace the CV without replacing the axle. I think this is true of the camry as well.

Boots alone can be done separately of course.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• chrisjerichochrisjericho Member Posts: 13
    I have a 2002 Camry V6 ABS with 7K miles on. The brake pedal has always been low but lately it can go to the floor if I make a hard stop. Also when I pump the brakes when I am stopped the brake pedal goes further down. I just took it to the Toyota dealership and they said that the brakes were normal. Has anyone else had problems with their brakes? I noticed at least 10 complaints on the nhtsb for the same problem.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    We had the same brake problems on these 2 cars and with my current '96 Corolla, I have the same thing. Was told that this is normal for all 3 cars, unbelievable! Toyota brakes really suck and this is probaly our last Toyota because of their brakes. We replaced the '96 Camry with a '01 Altima and the difference is incredible, the Alty's brakes grab easier and are much easier to modulate. Our teenagers hate the Corolla because of the brakes.
    C'mon Toyota, let's get this brake stuff right!

The Sandman :-)
  • xbbusterxbbuster Member Posts: 145
    My Camry also has soft brakes. It takes a considerable effort to make a hard stop but the pedal hasn't gone to the floor. As far as the dealer saying that the brakes are normal that seems to be their standard response to problems that Toyota doesn't want to address. As long as the dealer makes no attempt at a repair it's not considered a warranty issue. The '02 V6 with seven thousand miles that I have "clunks" when shifting from reverse to drive when the car is cold. I've had it at several dealers and left it over night for them to test drive the next morning. They say they have never heard of the problem but when it does it for them they just say it's normal. chrisjericho, does yours jerk when going from reverse to drive when the car has been setting all night? I'm glad I didn't pay extra for the extended warranty, I can see what that would be worth.
    has it occurred to anyone that when the dealer says something is operating normally, they are not just trying to avoid warranty work, but in fact, it IS fine? I am not saying this is true every time, but it is surely true sometimes. The best thing to do is find a dealer you are happy with and trust, then just use them every time. That way, if they say something is no problem, you can believe it.

As far as Toyota brakes on the camry, car mags have been saying for years they were dissatisfied with the brake pedal feel (not confidence-inspiring), and yet when they got to instrumented testing, the car consistently performed better in emergency braking than some of its peers.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• junebug56junebug56 Member Posts: 35
    I have lots of friends that drive Toyotas-a lot of them drive Camry's. Everyone I talk to love them--they are VERY reliable and great on gas and insurance. There have a good safety rating also. I have a 98 Avalon now, but I would definitely consider a Camry when my car needs replacing.
    Excuse me but I thought this discussion was "Camry Problems". If you love your new car and have no problems with it I would say you got what you expected and what you paid for. However there are people who paid thousands of dollars expecting the same thing and didn't get it. I believe that is why their messages are on posted on this board.
  • chrisjerichochrisjericho Member Posts: 13
    xbbuster, yes I hear the clunk when shifting from park to reverse in the morning. It has not bothered me enough to take it in for that problem. What I really do not like is how the car will not shift into third for the first five minutes when you drive it in the morning. I do not like revving the engine over 3000 RPMs just trying to go 35. The car did not do this during the test drive so there is no way I could have known before I bought the car.

On the brakes, I took my car to another dealership. They were nicer but still said that the performance is by design. They said they get complaints all the time about the four wheel disc ABS. I test drove a 2002 SE V6 with 5,000 miles and while the brakes were sill soft they did not go to the floor during a hard stop. My car still does. Nippononly, my wife was driving the car and was in an accident and the brakes went to the floor and did not perform well. When I have had to stop short a few times the brake performance has been bad.
  • stnickstnick Member Posts: 177
    I read in the specs portion of my 03 owners manual about various tolerances and it seems there was somthing about brake pedal travel. This going to the floor is NOT normal for any car that has brake fluid in it and a good master cylinder in vit. Not that I've seen anyway. Stay on there tails about this. Good luck.
    I have that same complaint...about having to wind out the engine just to get into traffic in the morning. Again the the dealer just blames the computer and says it's normal. Just another cold weather surprise. I bought the car in August '02 and I had none of these complaints then. Had I been told what to expect from this car in cold weather I wouldn't have bought it. It is supposed to hit 60 degrees here this weekend, perhaps the the car will act "normal"
    just to be sure we are on the same page here..."to the floor" actually means that the pedal hit the floor, right? If this is the case, the brakes were defective, and need to be repaired. However, a lot of people say "to the floor" when in fact the reality is the brakes are just mushy.

No offense intended, and I am sorry your wife was in an accident.

Another thing that a lot of dealers do is put brake cleaner on the rotors to stop the brakes from squeaking,and they leave too much of it on there, so that when you drive away the brakes are next to useless for the first couple of dozen stops. You should go straight back to the dealer in this situation too.

Pedal to the floor situations indicate poorly bled brakes, or a defective wheel or master cylinder. In the case of defective cylinders, you will see the level of the fluid going down in the reservoir, so check it frequently.

• xman1035xman1035 Member Posts: 52
    I have a 2003 Camry and don't have the problem of it pulling to left. I am curious if the one you are buying is made in Japan or USA. My Camry was made in Japan and I know this by reading the vin number which starts with the letter of "J" for Japan.
    i find the brakes somewhat soft and it feels like the pedal goes too far down compared to other cars, but they have always stopped my camry so far.

if the pedal went to the floor...or i had problems stopping or i got in an accident as a result of the pedal going to the floor, I'd have that car in the dealers front door and in the showroom demanding they fix it..and the accident damage. or i'd contact my states attorney general then a news agency.

colleen
  • stnickstnick Member Posts: 177
    I didn't know any of the current production Camrys 02 or 03,s were built in Japan. I thought they were all built in Kentucky. My 03 doesn't pull left or right and was built in USA. Of all the ones I looked at before purchase, all were built in USA.
    Does anyone know for certain if this RED coolant they placed in my 92 (which has been green ethelene glycol since new) is compatable with the green stuff or the Dexcool long life orange stuff? Dealer people have mixed opinions.

Service rep says only Toyota can be used, Parts dept and technician say the green stuff is compatable not dexcool.

Does anyone know???????
    is a different formulation, and should not be mixed with the green or the red stuff.

But the regular stuff can be various colors depending on the coloring they put in, so you can put more red stuff in now. If you put in green without draining the red, it will not cause harm, but will change the color so that you cannot tell if rust has started (the mix will look rust color). So stick to the red if you have red in there now.

How can you tell the diff between the coolant now and the PS fluid or the ATF. This does not make sense for Toyota to do> Arrogance!
This discussion has been closed.