Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Car Buying Advice - What is a good 3-row SUV to buy these days?

kenny_h_kenny_h_ Member Posts: 350
edited August 2017 in General
Between 50k and 70k, what are some good 3-row SUV's that are not massive (so I am not considering things like Navigator or Escalade, etc).

Also, it doesn't have to be a permenant 3-row, it could be 2 row with folding 3 row, even if it's not full size.
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    BlakeBlake Member Posts: 63
    Hello @kenny_h_ Staying away from the more "massive" vehicles there are a few good options. I would take a look at the all new 2017 LandRover Discover, the Volvo XC90 and the Dodge Durango. I know the Dodge may not seem as upscale as the LandRover and Volvo but they are very nice and the interior appointments are top notch. I have listed below links to our expert reviews on all three vehicles.

https://www.edmunds.com/volvo/xc90/2017/suv/review/
    https://www.edmunds.com/dodge/durango/2017/suv/review/
    https://www.edmunds.com/land-rover/discovery/2017/suv/review/

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!
  • Options
    kenny_h_kenny_h_ Member Posts: 350
    edited August 2017
    @Blake

Thanks. I am now also looking at VW Atlas. After seeing the tech they were able to squeeze into that mid 40k sticker price, I am very impressed. I can't tell if the ride quality and handling is as impressive, but it's something to look at.

XC90 is getting a lot of attention lately, not sure if $70k is really something people should be paying for a Volvo. Sadly discovery (the new one with 3rd row) is not making it to the dealers on timely manner. Q7 and GLS are two others I am considering but the rent charge, especially on Q7, is very high. GLS has nice low price, but high MSRP, although as I said in my other post, we might be able to get a great deal on '17 model towards end of the year.

Maybe Mazda, although not in same class as Audi/MB or even Volvo, but I am hearing that CX9 has better handling than others in its class.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    BlakeBlake Member Posts: 63
    Hello @kenny_h_ Thanks for the prompt response! I would definitely check out the Atlas and test drive one. VW appears to have done a very solid job with the Atlas.

70K may seem like a lot for a Volvo, but the XC90 is worth every penny. If you have the time I would definitely check one out at your local dealer, they are extremely nice.

The Q7 and GLS are both great and receive 4.5/5stars. Between those two it really depends on the lease deal and which one you prefer more.

The CX9 does handle very well for a vehicle of its stature. That is something you are going to find in every Mazda as they really do try to include "zoom zoom" in all their vehicles and the CX9 is no exception. Also, the CX9 has a turbo engine that provides a great amount of torque, even at lower speeds. Overall the CX9 is a very solid choice, but definitely not as luxurious as the other vehicles.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!
  • Options
    srizvi1srizvi1 Member Posts: 263
    I'm replacing my RDX to get something bigger. I've tried out quite a few SUVS and Atlas is my leading choice. But it's really hard to find the SEL Premium anywhere, which is what has all the features that really set it apart. If it doesn't work, I'll go with my back up option the QX60.