Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

CPO 2017 Nissan Rogue SV --- what price should i pay?

byl1623byl1623 Member Posts: 8
edited August 2017 in Nissan
Ive had a few dealers offer me some deals on 2017 CPOs... with the lowest being 18500+TTL+financing for a 2017 Nissan Rogue SV with 17k miles. Is this a fair deal? My target is 17500-18000+TTL+(maybe financing) and I've had dealers try to sell me 2017 CPOs at 24k (it was a rental, had cosmetic issues, was missing a key, had a tire replaced, etc). I called their bluffs several times and have seen the prices drop $5000 in less than 2 weeks. My long game strategy is to get them to continue to do so, because I do not believe the car is worth the $24 they are asking for (better yet the $20k)

Am I being realistic or am I being a hard headed fool that just needs to bite on a good thing?

Please let me know! First car purchase of my life time!

Comments

• Options
    I am in west texas by the way and I have been shopping all over the state
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,318
    byl1623 said:

Ive had a few dealers offer me some deals on 2017 CPOs... with the lowest being 18500+TTL+financing for a 2017 Nissan Rogue SV with 17k miles. Is this a fair deal? My target is 17500-18000+TTL+(maybe financing) and I've had dealers try to sell me 2017 CPOs at 24k (it was a rental, had cosmetic issues, was missing a key, had a tire replaced, etc). I called their bluffs several times and have seen the prices drop $5000 in less than 2 weeks. My long game strategy is to get them to continue to do so, because I do not believe the car is worth the $24 they are asking for (better yet the $20k)

Am I being realistic or am I being a hard headed fool that just needs to bite on a good thing?

Please let me know! First car purchase of my life time!

Suggestion - repost over in the "Real World Trade in Values" thread - the experts there can give you a sense of what a good price might be.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    thanks mitchell!
  • Options
    ChaseBellowsChaseBellows Member Posts: 76
    Hi @byl1623 Thanks for reaching out to Edmunds! On top of going to that forum, I'd also appraise any Rogue you come across on our website. I appraised a 2017 Rogue SV FWD in west Texas, and came up with a CPO value of $23,560, before adding any further options. You've already seen that you can get it for much lower. I never like to say that you CAN'T go lower, but I'd say that $18,500 is a pretty strong deal for a nice, 2017 CPO Rogue SV. Very fair indeed. If everything from the vehicle checks out, I'd consider picking that up if I were in your shoes, so long that the dealer doesn't add any "For Profit" fees back into the mix.

https://www.edmunds.com/nissan/rogue/2017/st-401689714/appraisal-value/tmv/?style=401689714&sub=#step0

Let us know if you have any questions!
  • Options
    I believed i could get it for much lower because

1) I negotiated
    2) the cars TRUE value (what it is paid for it at an auction or during a trade in) is closer to my value to them.

The only problem is that this vehicle is HOURS from my house; i tried to use other similar models as a leverage point to locale dealers, but they would not come off their predatory prices.

They are still unable to sell the vehicles though and perhaps they will be willing to renegotiate as they continue to lose traction on the car
  • Options
    ChaseBellowsChaseBellows Member Posts: 76
    Hey @byl1623 It looks like you already negotiated the price at a value far less than our TMV. Used cars are a bit of a mixed bag as we don't know what a dealer truly paid for the vehicle, though I'd be very satisfied at $18,500. I'd check that other thread to see if anyone else bought a 2017 CPO Rogue. To be honest, it doesn't matter what a dealer paid for the vehicle at an auction. They're not going to lose money. But it is possible to find that happy price point where you can get a deal much below our TMV.

Negotiation is an art, but unfortunately not everyone wants to play. Those who are willing to negotiate the most are willing to put in the most effort to get the best deal. If the one checks out that is hours away, it will be worth the drive as you'll be saving thousands over the local dealerships. A used Rogue will eventually sell, that I can guarantee you. But since you're willing to put in the leg work to truly negotiate, a few hour drive is well worth thousands off vs. the local Rogue. Let me know if you'd need any additional help finding other Rogue's. Another dealer that you haven't reached out to may be willing to negotiate as well. :)
  • Options
    tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
    @byl1623 the one ours away for 18500 sounds good to me would get the car enspected and if all is good jump all over that one! tell them $18000