Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• camrysev6ownercamrysev6owner Member Posts: 66
    I have a 2003 Camry SE V6. I believe that the suspension is just the same in the 4-cylinder. The suspension on my car doesn't have that awkward feeling you described when going over bumps. It's much more bumpier than the 97 Camry LE I had, but it's not bumpy at all compared to other cars in its class. Actually I think the LE suspension is too soft.

But your case may be different, so make sure that you go to different dealers for opinions.
  • little_pogilittle_pogi Member Posts: 149
    Like realjo28, I have a 97 V6 Camry LE. Early in the morning when I start the car, the car would start and then eventually die down. The problem 1st came out 2 days ago and I had 47K miles on it. I figured out that if I rev up the engine immediately after starting, the problem goes away for the rest of the day. Reajo28 posting just confirmed my suspicion on the idle air control valve. I am planning to remove it and try to clean it out. If not I buy a new control valve.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,151
    Any chance lack of highway driving at speed and/or poor quality gasolines have built up deposits on the intake valves, which absorb fuel after you start. This upsets the fuel delivery so the car stalls?
    If that's a possibility, check into cleaning or change of chip in the computer to adjust for that. Since you're within 50K that may be covered under pollution EPA standards.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• little_pogilittle_pogi Member Posts: 149
    I did get that IAC valve removed and sure enough carbon build up was causing the cylinder valve to bind in the closed position. A check with my local dealer shows that Idle Air Control Valve cost $205 plus $5 for the rubber gasket. I wasn't ready for that big ticket expense. A few drops of 70% rubbing alcohol did get most to the carbon away and that valve began to move freely. After installing it back, I started the engine and it right away rev up to 1500 rpm and slowly work its way to idle speed as the engine warmed up. This was a cold start. The real test comes in the next few months if that cleaned IAC valve will hold until spring comes. Total cost, 3 hours of my time and a few cents for that rubbing alcohol.
  • martintrmartintr Member Posts: 1
    Interesting that I found Edmunds. I just bought a 97 Camry with 85k 4cyl and just recently it puffs White/blue smoke only after start up. I didn't notice it when I bought the car. We gave it the once over with new plugs, filters etc, and then I noticed the smoke. Could it be possible that you had a plug change around the time you started noticing the smoke?
  • camry2003camry2003 Member Posts: 1
    In the summer with AC on, my Toyota Camry 2003 made some weird noise first then extremely loud metal cracking noise when backing up and turning. It happened several times only after a long drive in the highway and ran into a very very slow traffic flow when the AC was on all the time. The noise went away after the car has been rested for a while. The car dealer couldn't find the problem for me, since I could not simulate the problem for them. Any suggestions? Thanks.
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    My dealer is reccomending an oil additive for prolonger engine life on my 2002 Camry LE. It is to be added every other oil change which would be twice a year for me. The cost is $11. Is this necesary? I know Toyotas had prior trouble with sludge...is this a preventative measure or just another scheme?

Similarly, they want to change the pollen filter. The car is 15 months old with 13K miles. The cost here is $60. Again, is this necesary and more importantly is this something I can easily do myself?

THANKS!
  • cowmonkeypigcowmonkeypig Member Posts: 1
    Are there any owners who have experienced excessive problems with the steering column being locked or suddenly losing the ability to steer their car? My father has been having these types of problems on his 2003 Camry, and yesterday it suddenly accelerated on it's own and he was unable to brake. I'd like to know if other's have experienced this too.
  • junepugjunepug Member Posts: 161
    How old is your father? My father was having the same problems with his 15 year old Dodge right before we took it away from him. He is in his late 80s.
    I have seen several of these posts on the Camry boards....what is going on here?
  • mcontrerasmcontreras Member Posts: 10
    Are the Air Conditioner/Rear Defroster buttons backlit on a 92 Camry? The indicator lights function properly but the buttons themselves are not lit.

The dealer swears that the dash lights are working "coast to coast", but I thought that these buttons were illuminated before (it's our kids' car now, so I rarely drive it)

Thanks
  • newsman625newsman625 Member Posts: 2
    Ref. #1530 & #1531. Thank you "alcan". I tried your suggestion. It solved my problem. You are a real expert.
  • dchoppdchopp Member Posts: 256
    Kind of early to change the filter todays oils do not need additives. I would find another place to have my car serviced.
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    You're welcome. Glad to hear you got it corrected.
  • banddexpressbanddexpress Member Posts: 63
    Hi I recently looked at my spedomiter on my camry and it was stuck on zero and wasn't regeristing how fast I was going. Then I stoped and started up again and it worked fine. This has happen 3 times so far does anyone have any idea what this might be thanks for your help.
    Brent
  • webguysterwebguyster Member Posts: 434
    Hope that this orioblem sticks so you get a better trade valure, with the lower mialage
  • cgwongcgwong Member Posts: 3
    96 toyota camry. it's been changed every 11 months since i got the car in december '95.

toyota has changed it everytime. dealer willingly had done it while car was under 50K warranty.

last couple times out of warranty, it has been a major struggle. dealer begrudgingly has covered. don't understand why I should pay if it is inherently defective part since the get go that Toyota hasn't been able to fix.

now, having problems with car stalling intermittently without warning. idle drops, car starts shaking and then loses all power. usually restarts after turning on emergency lights, throwing car into neutral or park and gunning engine to restart engine.

have not been able to duplicate at dealership (of course...)

dealer's service manager says that it's because i don't drive car enough. I only do city driving and the solution to this is to "sell the car".

anyone else having problems?
  • rbm60rbm60 Member Posts: 1
    Have any of you out there had problems aligning your 2004 Solara. Mine drifts to the left and they can't seem to make it stop.
    Is this something I can replace myself or is it worth the $60 to have Tiyita do it...also, any idea what the part costs...sounds pricey.....
    I get a film on my windows, supposedly from fumes given off by the platsics in my 02 Camry. I must clean the windows every 4 months or so. Trouble is that film tends to cause streaking, ie the windows are difficult to clean. I tried using Windex with both paper towels and tissue paper...still a real pain. Anyone have some sort of brew that will get the windows clean with minimal exertion and no streaking?
  • manu7manu7 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '93 camry 4cyl.
    When i start it for the first time in the day it goes out fine ( although initially it gives out a little white smoke). After driving it for quite a distance (8-10 miles) and letting it rest, when i start driving the car again, it leaves a huge puff of white smoke behind.
    Then the car works normally until brought to a stop. This usually happens when the car is kept resting for a short duration ( less than an hour or so).
    Any suggestions?Thanks!
  • kybillkybill Member Posts: 44
    I've fought that streaking problem on every vehicle I've owned. It's not just plasticers, but a combination of all kinds of gunk. I've tried all manner of cleaners, but they all seem to streak or leave a fogging of the glass. The best thing I've found is to just dry wipe the glass with a good cotton bath towel. It requires a bit of exertion, but leaves no residue to attract dirt. Hope this helps.
  • realjo28realjo28 Member Posts: 2
    little pogi Its almost a week you cleaned the IAC valve let me know if every thing is running fine. I read in the book it says I have to remove whole throttle assembly to get to this valve. Is it easy or I need some special tools or skills?

Awaiting for your comments.....
  • nsaturnnsaturn Member Posts: 4
    I just got the sign for the Malfunction Lamp on my 96 CAMRY LE. The manual says there might be a problem with the engine or transmssion electrical system. I have appt with the dealer in 2 days. They said it is a probably a problem in the computer circuit but I can drive it for a while.

IS this a serious problem and how much does it cost to get this fixed normally.?

Thanks in adavance.
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    Could be anything from a loose gas cap to a defective catalytic converter. There's no average repair cost as such. Depends on what's wrong. The only way to tell is to have the diagnostic trouble codes retrieved from the engine control computer, which AutoZone will do for free.
    I have 1996 Camry LE which is displaying the Check engine. I took to a Toyota Dealer and they said the Emissions Control was malfunctioning VSV at Charcoal Canister not Switching, to clear the problem they will have to replace this the VSP unit and want $250 for the part + $100 for the labor.

Are they asking too much and if so will a regular mechanic be able to do this for less?

Thanks in advance and appreciate any feedback,
    I have 1996 Camry LE which is displaying the Check engine. I took to a Toyota Dealer and they said the Emissions Control was malfunctioning VSV at Charcoal Canister not Switching, to clear the problem they will have to replace this the VSP unit and want $250 for the part + $100 for the labor.

Are they asking too much and if so will a regular mechanic be able to do this for less?

Thanks in advance and appreciate any feedback,
  • mtnbykmykmtnbykmyk Member Posts: 1
    1998 Camry XLE V6 - 91000 miles.
    This is in response to message 280, 289, and 274. After my experience with the IAC valve I just had to share in hopes of preventing another sale of an overpriced part that basically just needs to be cleaned.

I replaced this valve myself. I knew this was the cause of my idle problem based on a friend who had the same problem. Also the local Toyota dealer says they replace these things everyday. You would think Toyota would come up with a solution.

Yes - the only way to replace it is to remove the the throttle body (TB). The IAC valve is on the bottom of the TB with no access. The 4 screws that hold the valve to the TB were so tight I had to grab them with vice grips to break them loose! Be prepared to lose some coolant as their are two coolant hoses and a manifold air hose that connects to the IAC. I did not replace the gasket between the TB and the manifold. Treat it carefully and you should be OK.

I discovered that the valve was stuck in the closed position due to carbon deposits. I was able to remove the electronic activator and work the valve back and forth with my fingers. A little solvent and it now works freely. Had I known this going in I could have easily done this same thing WITHOUT removing and replacing the IAC valve. The electronic actuator is easily accessible. Remove the large rubber intake hose and there is the electronic actuator (right below the butterfly throttle valve). Remove the 2 screws and pull it off. Twist the post (end of the valve mechanism) with fingers or something that will not mar it until it moves freely between the extreme positions. Reassemble and you are running like new again! Probably not a long term solution but a lot cheaper! I could do this procedure in about 15 to 30 minutes.

Ideally, some type of spray aerosol that could be sprayed up the IAC valve intake tube that connects to the intake manifold would be able to clean the valve and keep it in good working condition.
  • tmt1961tmt1961 Member Posts: 14
    i have the same problem as you andrelaplume, sometimes it does not crank at 1st try, have to try a few times to crank. i see your post what happens to your rav4 starting problem.thanks,
    That was a while back but as I recall the solution to the problem was to replace the Nuetral Saftey Switch...it was under warranty at the time but still I do not think it was really Expensive...$100 - $150 or less....not that that is cheap. Since replacement the problem has not returned.
  • icojonesicojones Member Posts: 61
    I recently took ownership of my father's 1992 Camry and it came with the dampest trunk this sie of the Titanic. The trunk is damp and mildewy, and a package of napkins left overnight basically became wetnaps. I put a container of DampRid in the back but it does not seem to be helping. Ani ideas/suggestions?
  • russianguy13russianguy13 Member Posts: 3
    My car in the mornings always starts to shake and the RPM's would bounce around like 100 this way and that way. I think this is because of the Idle Air Control Valve. I am wondering how do I clean it. I heard it is very easy but where is it and how do I take it apart and clean it. Please help me as i dont want to pay dealer's rediculous prices
  • cgwongcgwong Member Posts: 3
    Did you get a notice from toyota about a year ago? It was for California Emissions Warranty Enhancement.

if it is your catalytic converter, they sent a notice about a "special enhancement for certain 96 through 98s on the evaporative control system for 14 years or 150K miles. it is supposed to cover "any other part or component betwen the fuel tank and the intake manifold (but not including the intake mainifold)designed to contain or conduct fuel vapor from the fuel system."

i'm definitely not a mechanic. The last time I had a check engine light, my mechanic felt it might come under that warranty when he did the diagnostic. But, by the time i brought it to the dealership, the light cleared and so did the code.

I do get the check engine light at least once a year, and it we think it's been related to the gas cap.
  • sparikhsparikh Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I am having a similar noise problem with my camry as posted in #273. Can any one tell me what I need to tell the dealer about it. I have been having this noise probelm since i bought the car in January, but hopefully planning to show it to dealer this weekend. Any tips will be helpful.

Thanks
  • yonglinnyonglinn Member Posts: 1
    1999 Camry CE I4 - 45000 miles.
    My wife jumped start the car in the morning last Friday. She drove around 10 miles to office. After she left office, the engine didn’t start again. Her colleague helped her to jump it again. I bought a brand new battery and changed the old one on Saturday. The battery ran out of electronic this morning. I guess the alternator died but I am a newbie for car. Do you have any idea?
    The Solara car salesmen dont like negative questions. My car has ALWAYS made a hard noise going over bumps.
    Toyota says its normal. What the solution???
  • beantownticketbeantownticket Member Posts: 4
    I just had to return my 2004 solara which the dealership reluctantly is buying back. My car pulled to the left which they could not fix. After finding the exact same car at another dealership, that pulled to the left as well. Now they won't sell me an SE Sport model in the 2004 because they think there is a problem with it, although they are still selling them to new customers who may not be aware of the problem. BEWARE! Any similar problems with other 2004 Solara or SE Sport models?
  • theflowtheflow Member Posts: 98
    I actually feel the car is drifting to both sides, but the drifting to the left is more noticeable. I haven't driven the car for the past couple of days. But I will try to find a flat road tomorrow and see if it drifts. Did the dealer rebalance the alignment? What other services have they done to the vehicle?

So the dealership actually repurchased your vehicle? Which dealership is that? Do you know if Toyota is aware of the problem?
    I just drove my car. Seems like the steering wheel is a bit too "light." So a slight uneven on the road will kinda cause the steering wheel to turn, causing the car to drift to certain side. But that's only my observation. If you guys hear anything, please post it here.
    Steering never str8! Get used to it. Front end seems to be failing at 50,ooo miles! Great!
    The Solara is not built within it own specs. I have the same prob, cuz the ASI is 3 degrees off.This car sucks!
    "Front end seems to be failing at 50,ooo miles!"

Damn. That spoils my weekend. Glad I purchased the extended warranty.

"cuz the ASI is 3 degrees off."

What is ASI? (I don't know too much about cars)

Your Solara is 2000? Do you have problems, like uneven tire wear, due to the poor steering?
  • jerryh6jerryh6 Member Posts: 5
    I just added some brake fluid and the break light came on. How do you reset it?
  • chuckielainechuckielaine Member Posts: 10
    I have an 02 Camry SE. I put miles on my car. (highway) 33,200 to date. Since 8,000 miles, my rotors had a shimmy. The dealer cut them....WRONG. 6,000 miles later same thing. They should have been replaced. Try to go into a auto parts store and get rotors for a 02 Camry. NOT available. Catch 22. Toyota knows they are bad. You have to buy them from Toyota. Why should I if they could be the same type rotor. A real mess. You are lucky they replaced yours at no charge. I've been trying to no avail. I printed out all the complaints about the rotors and the solutions (replaced) from this web site to show them...Forget it..Anyone with suggestions?
  • mzincsmzincs Member Posts: 1
    I would be most appreciative for any guidance that my fellow Posters could provide for me. Specifically, my Camry appears to have a bad front suspension bushing on the passenger side. During casual conversation, the Service Writer at the local Toyota Dealership revealed that it is not uncommon for the Camry to develop a problem with the bushing that sits on top of the front suspension assembly. Moreover, he stated that upon replacement, the front strut would not need to be replaced. Upon further investigation, I received an estimate from a local independent mechanic: For $500 he would replace both front-end struts and both front stock tower bushings. In addition, he would align the car.
         Given that I hear the rattling noise only occasionally (usually in the AM going over speed-bumps), and I don't know whom to trust, I was thinking about not replacing anything! Therefore, I was hoping that a fellow Camry owner could provide with me some guidance concerning my situation.
  • jim260jim260 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1999 Solara and have experienced multiple component failures over the past two years. The first was a wheel hub and bearing assembly for $450, next were front struts and mounts for $600, and then last week was the a/c compressor for $2000. I'm smelling a lemon - anyone else having similar bad luck or is this fairly typical for the Solara?
  • jim260jim260 Member Posts: 2
    Toyota knows all about this problem. The top strut mounts are too light and will start too rattle after a while. Run, if you are still under warranty to get them replaced. I was 400Km over warranty and they said tough luck.
  • tmt1961tmt1961 Member Posts: 14
    what is your car mileage? a/c compressor for $2k, it sounds very high, check with other for the repair
    I complained about this when the car was new, and it only happens in cooler weather. It seems to be common. Toyota checked my car a few times and said nothing wrong. My problem is a groan from the front passenger side. Would that be an accurate description???
  • ledwidgeledwidge Member Posts: 6
    I've got an 88 V-6 Camry with 90k miles that I plan to keep it another 3+ years. On my prior cars I'd usually replace the struts about this time rather than wait until the last minute. At least I'd get a few years of enjoyment out of them.

It's just a bit bouncy at this point. The tail drags a bit with 4 adults. The strut tower problem was fixed long ago.

Any thoughts on my timing and any advice on the brand of struts? I'd expect the OEMs to be the best but they have to be pricy.

BTW - It's been everything you used to be able to count on in a Toyota. Strictly routine maintenance. Check engine light did come on once - 1,000 miles from home on a Saturday. Pulled into a dealer in Ft. Myers, got treated like the Mayor and was on my way in a hour.
This discussion has been closed.