Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Car Buying Advice - Purchase a new 2016 with 2018 models out?

buckmed07buckmed07 Member Posts: 63
edited September 2017 in Mercedes-Benz
I have started car shopping, and I stopped at a Mercedes dealership to look at the 2018 or possible 2017 c300 (or 350). On the lot they have 3 new 2016 c300s. Any thoughts for purchase if this would be a reasonable thing to do or areas of concern doing this? I haven't negotiated price yet. Initial MSRP $48,000 and now manager special is $35,000. I would assume some area to move down.

Comments

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,253
    buckmed07 said:

I have started car shopping, and I stopped at a Mercedes dealership to look at the 2018 or possible 2017 c300 (or 350). On the lot they have 3 new 2016 c300s. Any thoughts for purchase if this would be a reasonable thing to do or areas of concern doing this? I haven't negotiated price yet. Initial MSRP $48,000 and now manager special is $35,000. I would assume some area to move down.

I guess what you could do is look at used car values of 2016's with very low miles, and use that as a guide for your negotiations.

Any warranty concerns?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• buckmed07buckmed07 Member Posts: 63
    No warranty concerns as it has never been titled.  Initial MSRP was $47,900.  They had listed at $40,250.  Currently it is negotiated down to $35k.  The other note is that it was damaged by hail (they have 12 2016 c300s on the lot).  They assure me it would not show up on carfax report.  Certified pre owned prices according to kbb are $32-$37k.  Any more thoughts based on this information?
    buckmed07 said:

No warranty concerns as it has never been titled.  Initial MSRP was $47,900.  They had listed at $40,250.  Currently it is negotiated down to $35k.  The other note is that it was damaged by hail (they have 12 2016 c300s on the lot).  They assure me it would not show up on carfax report.  Certified pre owned prices according to kbb are $32-$37k.  Any more thoughts based on this information?

Has there been an estimate on what it would cost to have the hail damage repaired?

I'm not sure the dealer has any influence on what carfax will or won't report on.

If it were me, I'd pass.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

The car was already repaired. The dealership was self insured so no reports to insurance.
    buckmed07 said:

The car was already repaired. The dealership was self insured so no reports to insurance.

Let me call in some other folks to read through this thread, and offer their advice.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    I'm nervous about the hail damage. Most likely, they "bondo'd" the hail dents and then repainted. While warranty would cover you for 4 years (if full warranty is in effect), past that peeling, chipping, etc may be an issue.

I've seen some repairs on hail damaged cars, and it wasn't pretty. Not saying the Mercedes dealer would be careless, but it's not really a new paint job at that point. It's a "patch job" paint job...on a new car.

I've seen quite a few of those '16 C Class cars around....new. Not sure what's going on with them. I'm going to assume Mercedes forced dealers to take more '16s that the dealerships wanted, and the dealerships got stuck with them.

Low $30s would be my number, with extended warranty thrown in to cover the body work.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,391
    So I think @qbrozen can likely help here the best, but my feeling is you should be taking the average cost of similarly situated used 2016s (as the car is now two model years old) and then knock 15-25% off the price for the hail damage, if you really want that specific vehicle.

A quick look around my area shows used 2016s that are CPO at Mercedes dealers in the mid-to-upper 30s. Figuring 35k is the right price without hail damage, I wouldn't pay more than $30k for a car that had the damage.

Personally? I'd try to find a car that hasn't had body work already.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,941
    Need to know how it was fixed. If repainted, forget it.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

qbrozen said:

So, if you're saying it was paintless dent repair, there may be a value on it?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• NathanCrumbackNathanCrumback Administrator Posts: 508
    Hi @buckmed07, that's a tough one to pass on when you see the price but there is a reason they have so many left on the lot. I would proceed with caution. If you are considering it, I would ask them what method they used to repair the damage and ask for a dated repair order with an itemized list of everything replace/repaired. I would also consider asking them to allow you to take it to a 3rd part body shop where it can be inspected. It helps to have a trained eye to look for things.

I personally wouldn't deal with it. I would find one that doesn't have hail damage.

Edmunds Moderator
    Michaell said:
    If paintless repair and truly not on carfax, the value really wouldn't be hurt by it. 

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• k5ldbk5ldb Member Posts: 62
    Can I ask what dealer has the 2016's? I might ask them to give me a warranty for the lifetime of my ownership on the hail damage repair, non-transferrable and covered by them in house so they don't have to pay a dealer cross country or anything they just take care of it if/when an issue arises.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    qbrozen said:

Michaell said:

qbrozen said:

If paintless repair and truly not on carfax, the value really wouldn't be hurt by it. 

I agree with Q on this. A Paintless guy can do a fantastic job of massaging out the dent. If it's been resprayed I would pass. If the dealer did this internally it won't show up on a Car Fax.
  • tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
    would look in to it mor! 30k would not pay mor!
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    I think a Mercedes is the wrong kind of car to "buy damaged goods" with. Why fake it. Either get the real deal that hasn't been tarnished, or get something more economical to begin with.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    andres3 said:
    I think a Mercedes is the wrong kind of car to "buy damaged goods" with. Why fake it. Either get the real deal that hasn't been tarnished, or get something more economical to begin with.
    Not a very practical POV. So every luxo car that ever has any kind of damage need to tossed away? 

edited September 2017
    qbrozen said:

andres3 said:

Not a very practical POV. So every luxo car that ever has any kind of damage need to tossed away? 

Not tossed away, but appropriately discounted about 20% for the diminished fit, finish, build and paint quality.

If you are not buying a luxury car for superior fit, finish, build and paint quality, a 20% discount is the right car for you!

A part of me wants my "damaged" S4 back after my Kia lease is up, as a performance "junker." Which has its advantages; namely, another parking lot ding won't matter to me.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    andres3 said:

Not tossed away, but appropriately discounted about 20% for the diminished fit, finish, build and paint quality.

That is quite a bit different than your previous statement, and one I completely agree with, of course. And 20% is the minimum. Could be higher depending on extent of damage.

Thanks everyone. I went low $30s and they would not move off $35k. Figured I would wait it out until end of month and started looking at Audi A5 sportback and BMW 430i grand coupe. Obviously not as low as this car.
    buckmed07 said:

Thanks everyone. I went low $30s and they would not move off $35k. Figured I would wait it out until end of month and started looking at Audi A5 sportback and BMW 430i grand coupe. Obviously not as low as this car.

If you like the look of the repaired paint, it might not be a bad deal. I think with Hail damage, it isn't like a car accident that shakes and shocks the body and structure of the car. It is all cosmetic.