Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Car Buying Advice - Which new car?

tranthetranthe Member Posts: 1
edited September 2017 in General
I'm fresh out of college and working and am in the market for a new car. I am an enthusiast, so im looking for a car that has some power behind it. I'm also going to have my girlfriend and other friends with me at times, whether it be a weekend getaway or a week-long trip, so I need either 4 doors or a modest back seat of its a coupe. Lastly, we have a lot of back roads where I live. I want a car that will handle those and put a smile on my face. I have thought about Nissan Maxima's, Buick regal gs's, or the new fusion sport's. I don't have an unlimited budget, but 30k is where I'd like to land, and certified used is an option too. Thanks for the help!

Comments

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,319
    tranthe said:

I'm fresh out of college and working and am in the market for a new car. I am an enthusiast, so im looking for a car that has some power behind it. I'm also going to have my girlfriend and other friends with me at times, whether it be a weekend getaway or a week-long trip, so I need either 4 doors or a modest back seat of its a coupe. Lastly, we have a lot of back roads where I live. I want a car that will handle those and put a smile on my face. I have thought about Nissan Maxima's, Buick regal gs's, or the new fusion sport's. I don't have an unlimited budget, but 30k is where I'd like to land, and certified used is an option too. Thanks for the help!

All are good choices, and you may want to consider the Accord Touring also. Let me get some experts over here to offer their opinions - they love spending other people's money :wink:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,393
    Volkswagen GTI.

Not sure what you want option wise, but the GTI Sport with DSG can be bought for 24-25k and is very nicely equipped.  You can probably step up to the GTI SE and stay in budget. Very utilitarian as well. 
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

Volkswagen GTI.

Not sure what you want option wise, but the GTI Sport with DSG can be bought for 24-25k and is very nicely equipped.  You can probably step up to the GTI SE and stay in budget. Very utilitarian as well. 

I'll 2nd the VW GTI choice. Might look at any leftover 2017 Accords which should be very attainable at that price (maybe even the V6 version, which is quite good as I almost bought one last year).
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949
    3rd on the GTI.

Fusion Sport is out of your budget. Maxima, Buick, and Accords all fail to impress me when pushed hard. You can always get a used 3-series or C-class. I have seen 2014s with under 30k miles for low $20s. As a fresh out of college person, I suggest keeping the budget as low as you can.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,436
    The GTI is a phenomenal choice.  I'd also recommend a Civic Si in a heartbeat.  

A few months ago I purchased a CPO 2015 Infiniti Q40 (G37x) AWD for under $25K.  It's fast and very comfortable.  Definitely not as nimble as a GTI or Civic Si.  

Keep us posted!  Good luck!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    add me to the GTI club. The Si Civic is only a stick shift, which could be an issue.

If you want a little bigger but still fun, can also go with a Jetta GLI.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    k5ldbk5ldb Member Posts: 62
    The 2018 Camry XSE has a supposedly sport tuned suspension and upgraded engine. It also runs on regular gasoline vs. the premium for the GTI. The GTI is a cool car though and you might find an active owner's club to participate with depending on where you are. Good luck.
  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,393
    Really guys? We've gotten too predictable...
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    ChaseBellowsChaseBellows Member Posts: 76
    edited September 2017
    @Michaell is right, our team certainly doesn't mind making a suggestion, which would end up on having you spend money.
  • Options
    @Michaell is right, our team certainly doesn't mind making a suggestion, which would end up on having you spend money.
  • Options

So where's YOUR unpredictable suggestion? :b

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    stickguy said:

add me to the GTI club. The Si Civic is only a stick shift, which could be an issue.

Oh, well I would only get a stick in the GTI, too. I don't like the DSG, so if the OP has to have an auto, I'd skip the GTI.

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    qbrozen said:

stickguy said:

Oh, well I would only get a stick in the GTI, too. I don't like the DSG, so if the OP has to have an auto, I'd skip the GTI.
    Admittedly I don't have a lot of experience with VW's DSG's (98% of my vast DSG experience coming from Audi programmed transmissions), but during a test drive I didn't find anything too objectionable in the GTI DSG. The Alltrack's works just fine (better than TDI Sportwagen's). I would recommend he test drive them in both D and S modes before committing though to see for himself.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options

The GTI really has become the "Standard" by which all other performance cars are measured. Particularly when it comes to "value."

I wasn't a huge fan of the '06-'14 GTI (felt Audi did it better). But with the new MQB platform, along with many other improvements, I don't see anything wrong with the current generation GTI.

I'd trade in my Kia (which was admittedly significantly lower cost) in a hot second for a GTI. Only downside I see is that these Mexico assembled GTI's don't score well in CR reliability surveys. However, they score better than the bottom-feeder models.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
    vw Mosda BMW OUty MB perhaps! Subero WRX Maxima Ford tores Sho
  • Options
  • Options
    If you're looking for a CPO and want a sedan, why not a BMW 335i, Cadillac CTS, or a Infiniti Q50?
  • Options

If you're looking for a CPO and want a sedan, why not a BMW 335i, Cadillac CTS, or a Infiniti Q50?

I'd add the A3 and A4 to that list (smaller/larger).
  • Options
    rickdonrickdon Member Posts: 123
    GTI Sport and Civic get my vote. Both have good exterior form and are reliable.
  • Options
    Pretty sure, at more than 2 months since the thread was started, the OP ain't comin back. We should close out this thread.

This discussion has been closed.