Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• kneisl1kneisl1 Member Posts: 1,694
    The owners manaul that came with my Camry doesnt mention synthetic oil. I suspect they regard synthetic oil like they do oil suppliments...dont use then they dont do any good. The only reason to use synthetic oil is if it gets very cold (like below 32 degrees) a lot of the time where you live. Then it can be very beneficial getting the engine to start. If you follow the instructions in your owners manual and change the oil like it says to for the conditions you drive in, youre doing the best you can for your car. Anyone who tells you to change it more frequently doesnt have the experience the people who wrote the manual do.
  • christ1christ1 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2004 4 cyl toyota camry. i just own it 5 months ago. my concern is that when during hard acceleration, i hear something like an air turbulence on the intake manifold. i've brought it on the dealer and told me that it's just an air being sucked in the manifold. further, the noise is noticeable since the intake manifold cover is just made of a plastic. i wonder if somebody out there with a 2004 camry is experiencing or noticing the same concern as mine. thank you.
  • slov98slov98 Member Posts: 112
    there are many more reasons why synthetic oil is better than conventional oil, do a simple web search and you'll find out.
  • jolujolu Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem and I brought it into the dealership and they changed out the transmission.Now it's doing it again!!! I'd like to give it back to them and buy a Honda.(the sound that I had was a sound like going over a rumble strip in the road.......JL
  • jolujolu Member Posts: 2
    Bill,I feel your pain.I will contact toyota today to also file a complaint.JL
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    Get advice from our maintenance & repair experts LIVE at this Wednesday's night's Fix-It Chat, 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• rogmanrogman Member Posts: 24
    Bill and jolu......Having the same trans problem. Did it start from day 1 after the new trans was put in? I am starting to wonder if rumble strip sound is normal. Have you driven another Camry? Wonder if more people have the same problem and don't think anything about it. If it is NORMAL then it is a crappy design of a trans!! Down with Camrys!!
  • ian721ian721 Member Posts: 93
    Someone else posted an email from Toyota about the tranny thing. The company said it was caused buy people who stomp hard on the accelerator in the first few thousand miles they own the car, while the drive by wire system is still trying to figure them out. (I'm paraphrasing of course, but that was the gist of it) They suggest going lighter on the pedal.

I've no idea if they're right, but they say they don't plan to reprogram the tranny and that people should drive smoother. For whatever it's worth, my 2004 Camry rides just fine. Good luck with yours.
    Toyota is full of it. I noticed problem with tranny first 100 miles. As far as I am concerned there is a defect they can't fix and are making excuses. This is my 5th Toyota and will be my last if they do not fix this problem.
  • joescarjoescar Member Posts: 30
    my '04 LE 4cyl will "click" (best description) through the steering wheel on right turns. The event is unprecitable but always comes back. Two dealers have looked at the thing and can't come up with a cause or solution. Any one else have anything like this?
  • pciskowskipciskowski Member Posts: 155
    I have an '04 LE, and there is constant motion on less than smooth roads. It seems harsher than I would expect; almost as harsh as my Protege that I traded in, and they were notorious for a rough ride. I used to have a '99 Camry, and in my memory it seems like the ride was smoother. This along with the thump when I go over some bumps makes me really think something is wrong with the suspension in the back. The dealer says everything is OK.

I have already replaced the Continentals with Bridgestones, and it didn't make a noticeable difference.

Is this behavior normal?
  • mcgirl0730mcgirl0730 Member Posts: 78
    I am looking for a reliable dealership for maintenance on my car. My choices are Capitol, Stevens Creek, Palo Alto, and Sunnyvale. Which one is the best?
  • rlwrlw Member Posts: 2
    Wanted to update you on our 2004 Camry LE repair.
    It took a while to get all the parts in to do the repair, but the repair was finally made. Believe it or not, the stuttering going from lst gear to 2nd gear has stopped. The problem was the transmission body assembly part #35410-48011 along with quite a few other rings, springs, pistons, valves, and gaskets. The tech that rode with me never came across this before and called Toyota to find out if they had heard about similar problems. They said they had a few complaints and came up with this repair. We were lucky that the car continually made this sound upon acceleration so the tech heard it multiple times. Whether you call it stuttering, or a sound like going over grooved pavement, this is the repair you and others should be asking for. This is how my 2000 Camry used to drive. P.S. I got the airbag recall taken care of at the same time. Good luck!
    Thank you very much for the update. I just called the delearship and explained about the possible fix. The problem I am having is the stuttering / vibration is very intermittent. Been back to dealer 5 times. They cannot get it to fail. Thanks again for the update. Glad your car is fixed.
  • larryt22larryt22 Member Posts: 125
    I have an 04 LE and know exactly what you are talking about with the ride on anything other than a perfectly smooth road. I have never experienced that feeling in any vehicle I have ever driven before. Amazingly I took 4 test drives in 3 different Camrys (one was the one I bought) and I never noticed this feeling during the test drives. But within 1 week of buying the vehicle, I thought something was wrong and took it back to the dealer. They said it was "normal" and I test drove 2 other Camrys on the lot and both did exactly the same thing. Strangely enough we also have an 04 Highlander which shares a common platform even though it is a subtantially different vehicle and it does not give you the rocking experience at all. Now if they would make the Camry ride and handle like the Highlander and make the Highander quiet and as comfortable as the Camry, Toyota would have 2 great vehicles instead of 2 pretty good vehicles.
  • terrywterryw Member Posts: 1
    I currently in the marketing for a new vehicle and considering 05 Camry LE. However after reading all the posts out there regarding transmission failures I do have second thought. Dose any one out there know if there a trouble free sedan under $23k. After all, when I buy a new car I want enjoy driving it and not constantly return to dealer to remedy problems. Thank you
  • xbbusterxbbuster Member Posts: 145
    I have an '02 Camry V6 with 29,000 mi. Since I don't believe any of the BS from the dealer I thought I would ask here about changing the oil in the transmission. Toyota says every 30,000. I want to keep it up to requirements for the extended drive train warranty. (sludge issue). I notice there is a drain plug on the transmission pan. Yet the dealer wants a couple of hundred to suck it out and refill. Is there a filter involved? Any do-it-yourselfers have any suggestions?
    From reading all the posts on the Camry, I have started to have doubts in the car. I had my 1999 Corolla and never had a problem. I wasn't even good with the regular maintenance. My 04 Camry hasn't given me any problem, but it's only 4 months old. I bought this car because of Toyota's reputation. My dad has a 1991 Camry and it never had a problem. I just hope I won't be disappointed or this will be my last Toyota purchase.
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Why do you think your Camry will fail since you also are saying that your Camry hasn't given you any problem. Do you really judge a car's overall dependability by some disappointed owners. Most of the posts btw are multiple postings by a handful of owners. Toyota sells over 400K Camrys a year and the vast majority of the owners are very satisfied. The few who aren't vent their gripes in these forums. Just enjoy your ownership experience. I am enjoying my 03 Camry.
    Oh, I love my Camry! I drove it to Half Moon Bay today which is about 45 miles from here and the gear shifting was so smooth. It also did great going up the hills. I don't think I'll be having problems with it :) And I don't regret getting it instead of the Honda Accord.
  • peter panpeter pan Member Posts: 75
    It looks like there is a problem along the rotor, distributor cap and sprak plug wires. Your car is 20 years old. It may be time to replace the rotor and the plug wires.
    The cold start valve inside the fuel injector assembly may be gummed up and not closing properly for cold start.

You can spray 2 cans of carburetor cleaner into the fuel injector's air intake while revving the engine to 4000 RPM may do the trick.

You can also use premium gas (Shell V Power with 5 cleaners) or add fuel injector cleaner into the gas. That would also clean it up.

If nothing works then try a fuel injector service or cold start valve check out.
    I had this problem with a 89 Camry.

There is a rubber return line to the gas tank for unused gas pumped to the fuel injector. If the clamp is worn, some gas may leak out and smell. This problem can be a fire hazard.

You can access the area by removing the rear seats and floor panel, and put new clamps on the line. You can also access the line from under by jacking up the car, but you may have to remove a few items to get to it.
  • voltsvolts Member Posts: 1
    I know what you mine I have taken out several SE's out all have the same bump riding on bumps. Really quite on nice hiway roads. It's a normal noise but disapponiting
  • llp22169llp22169 Member Posts: 2
    I just picked my car up from the auto body shop after being hit in the side rear. I noticed when I put on the rear defroster my stereo is VERY staticky and has poor reception. My car has the antenna built into the rear windshield so it's obviously clashing with the defroster built into the glass as well. My body shop said they didn't touch the rear windshield, so something must have been disturbed when I was hit.

Does anyone have any ideas of what the problem could be?

Thanks!
    Vibration at specific speeds points to a bad ball joint on the front end.

Some times it could be caused by a bent axle. Chech it out too.
    I had the same problem with my 93 Camry.

Looks like the cold start injector is gummed up and not injecting enough gas into the cylinders in the morning.

You probably do not need a visit to the dealer.

First use 1 tank of premium gas with detergent (Shell V Power), adding in 1 bottle of injector cleaner. That fixed the problem for my car.

If you still have the problem, take out the rubber air hose to the fuel injector unit, spray 2 cans of carburetor, injector cleaner into the throat of the fuel injector unit, while revving up the engine to 3000 RPM. That should clean out any blockage of the cold start injector.
    I had the same problem. The car was running fine. The next morning it would not start. I can crank the engine but it will not fire and catch on!

I checked all 4 plugs, there are no spark at any plug!

I pulled out the Igniter module and hooked it up to another Camry. It works fine.

The distributor cap, rotor, plug wires look OK. The ignition coil inside the distributor has an impedance so it's not open! So what can be the problem?????????

I am waiting for the car to be towed to a Toyota dealer where I expected it to be brutally raped by one of the muscle-headed service technician!

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I had same problem with wires inside the door chafing on metal, draining the battery. The door was in 2 collisions over the years so problem should happen!

The switch appears fine. There may be some wires around the power seat taht are shorted together or to the chassis, which intermittently drain the battery.
    OK. The car would not start. Had it towed free to Toyota of Orange by 21St Century Insurance since it's within 5 miles.

Dealer ran computer diagnostics, confirmed distributor bad, wants $900 to replace distributor, rotor, cap, wires, plugs.... They do not have the dist. Have to order few days.

I told the service rep that was too much. He was a very nice guy, suggesting I find used dist to slap in.

I bought a ignition coil from Kragen for $70. Installed in the dist, the engine fired up immediately! The Gen Manager was out hassling me, no customer working in their shop blah blah...I told him I have to put my car toghether to get out of his shop sicne they did not have the part.

Bautiful solution. Toytota of Orange was very nice and understanding.
  • jbkennedyjbkennedy Member Posts: 70
    I have a 97 Camry that has developed a foul odor from the A/C system. This has gone on for awhile now, but now is is very strong.

Any ideas?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    This problem crops up in various make/models. You most likely have some mold/mildew growing in there. After running the AC for awhile, is there a puddle of water under the car? If not, the drain line could be plugged up which would trap the moisture in the vents which over time will start growing all sorts of nasty things. You'll need to clean out the drain.

Spraying Lysol in the vents may help also.
  • cam2003cam2003 Member Posts: 131
    Yesterday, while changing oil on Camry, I noticed white powders on radiator fins behind the fans. This indicated corrosion due to salt over last winter.
    I surprised because the car is only 1.5 yrs old and I rarely used it in last winter. My 15yrs Corolla still has original radiator, all fins are good condition.
    I believe Toyota used cheap parts, that why it is prone to salt ...
    Anyone check the radiator lately ?
  • wongstewongste Member Posts: 6
    Hi floudon, I believe I have the same problem as you do. Could you tell me how much your repairs cost?

I took my 2000 Camry to Monro after noticing a metallic clanking sound from the left rear. He told before even test driving that strut and strut mounting problems are common on the Camry and Avalon.

Afterwards, he gave me an estimate of over $1,000 to replace struts, sway bar links, strut mountings on both sides at the rear and for wheel alignment. That seems excessive if the problem exist only in the strut mounting.

If you replace the strut mounting, do you need to replace both left and right?

Advice from anyone much appreciated. Thanks!

regards,
    David
  • leonivleoniv Member Posts: 120
    Anything over $100 is a rip. I used to do the tranny fluid on my old 88 V6 camry. It's not hard to do, just tedious. It's better if you drop the pan and replace the screen that's inside (drain the fluid before dropping the pan of course). Stealerships will just clean the screen unless you request they change it. The screen doesn't cost that much ($10-15?) at your local parts store and I'm too lazy to clean it. I don't know about the new ones, but on mine you had to unscrew the hex nuts around the pan to drop it and get to the screen. You might also need a new gasket for the pan if you drop it. Also, may want to look into a tranny flush. It's not necessary, but simply changing the fluid doesn't get all of the fluid out of the transmission. About 1/3 will stay in the tranny, tranny cooler, and the line. A flush is the best way to get all of the fluid out. Unfortunately, there's no easy way to flush the tranny yourself. If you do a flush, it's best to take it somewhere. A Shell service place by my house will do a flush for about $75 so I take my car there. If I had a camry now, I'd probably do a flush every 60k and just change fluid in between.
  • bill13241bill13241 Member Posts: 11
    Thanks, RWL. Please post a Toyota Complaint Case Number or some other way I can reference the Toyota fix for your transmission problem. I have the same problem with my 2004 Camry LE 4-speed transmission. I filed an official complaint with Toyota (200408030775), but was told by Toyota that no one else reported a similar problem. Now I am getting the old run-around from both Toyota and the dealer.
    Rogman - Like you, my transmission problem is intermittent. What has the dealer done for you since we received the RWL posting about the fix? My dealer has not been supportive since I have not been able to repeat the problem at the dealership. Toyota told me that no one else has reported a similar problem, which is inconsistent to the posts in this chain. If you have a Toyota case number, please post it. Thanks, Bill.
    Rogman - My transmission problem started within the first 100 miles. I am a gentle driver and have not 'ragged' the car so that is not the cause. What progress have you made in getting your intermittent transmission problem fixed? How did the RWL posting help you? Bill
    JL - Please post your complaint number; my complaint number is 200408030775. If enough of us post our complaint numbers for each other to cite to Toyota, then Toyota can't give us their crap about 'no one else has files a similar complaint' ... which is the ole run-around I am getting from Toyota. Bill
  • xbbusterxbbuster Member Posts: 145
    Thanks for the info. on the tranny oil change. It doesn't sound any messier than an oil change.
  • etoilebetoileb Member Posts: 34
    Help,

Have 94 Camry Wagon bought used. Love it in every way but can not good gas mileage from it. For the first few months of use the economy light on the dash would illuminate when I held the revs below 3500. It now seems impossible to get a "light" no matter how easy I am on the gas pedal.

Car is maintained well, oil change every 7000 miles. Could it be a dirty air filter?

Thanks in advance my fellow Camry owners
  • lfmlfm Member Posts: 35
    My 2004 Solara Convertible has a problem with various parts under the top showing through the material. Padding in certain places, other support materials show through just like the support bows do. Is anyone else having this problem?
    To Bill and Others. I filed a 2nd complaint with Toyota about trans. Actually the 2nd complaint was about the dealership not returning a promised call after we test drove the car from the 1st complaint. I am going to file a complaint once a week until they do something. I called and mentioned the parts in the RWL posting. They said they would check and get back to me. No call. I also will file a complaint with state attorney general. Are you filing complaint with Toyota online? I don't remember getting a complaint number, but I will check.
    Bill ... Found the complaint numbers they are;

• gautamaroragautamarora Member Posts: 16
    Here is my complaint number : 20040721135

Got a call from dealership Customer Relationship Manager.

In his view :

6 cylinder car can be slower in acceleration as it is heavier than 4 cylinder ?

4 cylinder has more torque.

Camry 6 cylinder has power in 4th and 5th gear.

Also suggested that I should do following:

Get a Toyota Avalon

or

Add Turbo

Super Charger

Replace Cylinder Head
  • banddexpressbanddexpress Member Posts: 63
    Its allready rotting away and falling off. Its been in the garage all the time except for when I'm at work. I was wondering do you put glue in the new seal to help it stick and can you get a seal for it somewhere besides the dealer and who puts them on? Thanks
    Brent
  • banddexpressbanddexpress Member Posts: 63
    I know there is water on the ground after you use your ac but now there is alot more water then usual what should I check and what could be wrong? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks
    Brent
    Thanks, Rogman. What has the dealeship done to fix your 2004 Camry LE 4-speed automatic transmission problem of intermittent 1st to 2nd jerky shifting? Is is fixed? What was done to fix it? Bill
    Bill..Dealer has done nothing other then test drive the car. I am waiting for a call back. I will keep filing complaints with Toyota. More people seem to be having this problem.
  • larryt22larryt22 Member Posts: 125
    I am sure I have read in this forum how to reset the system to turn off the light, but I don't seem to be able to find the procedure. Can someone post this again or point me to the message where it is posted? This is for a 2004 Camry LE.

Thanks in advance.
This discussion has been closed.