Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Been thinking..............AGAIN!

My 01 AWD RX300's transmission fluid has a burned look and odor at just 38k miles. This on a vehicle that has no tow hitch but with the tow package (extra transmission fluid cooler in front of right front wheelwell) and no designated fluid/replenish maintainance schedule.

I have sent at least three missives to customer_satisfaction_inquiries@lexus.com and what I get back each time is that I should check with the dealer about why my RX has burned fluid. Apparently something they do not wish to put in writing.

Up until just this week I have been assuming that the designers underestimated the heating contributed by the VC.

But then I keep hearing/reading about these hesitation problems and that got me to thinking on another thread.

I am absolutely sure that my 01's transmission shifts into another gear, or maybe even neutral, during coastdown.

Some have described it as a "slingshot" effect or as if being bumped from behind just before coming to a full stop. I have attributed this effect to a desire to increase fuel economy and/or reduce the instances of loss of control on a slippery surface as the result of engine braking to the front, drive, wheels.

But suppose for a moment that I'm correct and the vehicle is being shifted into neutral in these instances.

My 01 DOES NOT have an e-throttle so the instant I depress the footfeed the engine will react and apply high output......while the transmission is still in neutral or an inappropreately higher gear??

Now THAT would result in premature BURNING of the transmission fluid!

But now with e-throttle the later models might have a firmware fix that delays the onset of engine torque until the transmission can be shifted into the correct gear and allow time for the clutches or bands to be full seated before excessive torque is applied.

Obviously just guessing, but....
  • aventura1aventura1 Member Posts: 3
    Static Noise coming from Right side Radio Speakers !!!

Frequently, when driving my 2004 Camry, I get this frustrating "static" noise from the speakers on the right side of the vehicle. It also happens when a cell phone call is about to be received or when a call is initiated. I have taken the care to the dealer to have them look at this problem, but they cannot reproduce the static when the vehicle is being serviced.

Does someone out there have the same problem? Please advise if anyone has a solution.. Thxs

aventura1
  • junepugjunepug Member Posts: 161
    Simple solution. Do not use your cell phone while driving. Not only is it interfering with you radio, but also makes driving a hazard.

Turn off the da_n cell phone while in the car and enjoy some quiet. Nothing can be that important that one must be yakking on the phone while driving.
  • aventura1aventura1 Member Posts: 3
    The problem is present even when the cell phones are not in use !!!

So please keep your sarcastic remarks to yourself and stop wasting my time...
  • junepugjunepug Member Posts: 161
    I am not being sarcastic. I am just stating a fact. Turn off the cell phone while in your auto and enjoy the quiet. It also helps one to drive better.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Whether you approve/disapprove of cell phone use while driving is irrelevant in this topic. If you're interested, this has been discussed several times in the past and those topics can be accessed by using search.
  • ac556ac556 Member Posts: 2
    I just to say thanks again to Bill13241 and RLW for posting their solutions to this problem. I just got my 2004 Camry back from the dealer after they performed this fix of replacing the valve body and it drives great! I have gone from being greatly disappointed back to being extremely pleased with my purchase.

Jim
  • joy710joy710 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased an 05 Camry XLE (4 cyl). I have been disappointed with the hesitation/jerky shifting in low speeds. I had been driving a V6 and am wondering if this is a difference between a 4 cyl and a v6 or if I am encountering the same problems that have been described in response to this post. Has anyone else experienced this in the 05 model? I heard rave reviews about Toyota Camrys, especially concerning the smoothness and have yet to experience this. Any help would be much appreciated
  • cam2003cam2003 Member Posts: 131
    Anyone has a copy of TSB TC008-03:A/T - Poor Shift Quality for 2003 Camry? I would be appreciate if you can provide me a copy.

Thanks
  • joescarjoescar Member Posts: 30
    I'm taking my camry in to the ealer for the same steering problem (clicking when turning right) and they are going to replace the rack. However if it didn't resolve your problem I don't want to waste the time. How did you get yours repaired?
  • mit1mit1 Member Posts: 18
    is this something common because of the larger wheels.did you hit a pot hole.otherwise how has car been.
  • morinkumorinku Member Posts: 2
    I had purchased a new 02 Camry LE V6 and started having transmission issues. One problem was the cold shift shock (bang into first gear when cold) and it also did some hard down shifts on the highway when I brake (easily) on steep declines. I had the car into the dealership multiple times and was told (the same old BS I have been reading in posts with similar problems)this was normal. Yeah Right !!!!

I really enjoyed the car and was told that the 04 V6 Camrys had a new 5 speed tranny and did not have this issue. I test drove the vehicle and it did not have the cold shift shock problem and seemed to shift nicely during the test drive. I traded in my 02 for the 04.

I am now starting to experience hesitations from 1st to 2nd. It seems to be worse after I get off the highway and get into stop and go traffic. I have also picked up the hard down shifts on the highway when I brake (easily) on steep declines. My last oil change they reset the computer to factory. It seemed fine for a short while now the problems are starting up again.

I am very disappointed that I went Toyota again. Reading the posts on transmission issues there are design issues with Toyota's fly by wire system which they will not admit to. Us loyal Toyota folks are going to get burnt with major transmission problems just as our warranty expires. There are just to many of the same type issues (starting in 02) since their electronic throttle system was introduced.

Hey Toyota, step up and admit that this system has flaws, admit there are flaws instead of giving us your BS that this is normal, really resolve the issues, and take care of your customers. OOPPSS !!, I forgot it might take some $$$$ to fix.
  • loucapriloucapri Member Posts: 214
    xbbuster--- I don't know what is required for the warranty. But I don't believe you "have to" flush the tranny in order to be covered under warranty if anything happens. I don't think they will ask you to prove you change the fluid, what if you do it yourself. They can't say the warranty is void if you don't maintain your tranny's fluid.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    As you slow to a stop, at just about the time you would release the clutch for a manual transmission, slip the gear level into first.

I suspect that in this case the transmission will actually shift into first and now you will be able to accelerate away for a full stop rapidly.

Not saying the design feature is justified, just something to try for those of you so very frustrated about this.

And of course more information to take to the complaint department.
  • cam2003cam2003 Member Posts: 131
    Last night I went to Toyota dealer for re programing flash per TSB info. Everything went smoothly. I will let the car to learn for couple days before knowing if any improvements.
  • medstudtradingmedstudtrading Member Posts: 1
    I actually just took my camry in for a brake inspection, because it feels like i have to step on the brakes pretty damn hard for the car to actually break. Anyone else with this problem.
  • xbbusterxbbuster Member Posts: 145
    loucapri--according to the warranty book and Toyota Customer Care, transmission oil change is required at 30k on the '02V6 if towing a trailer or driving in a dusty area. It's the engine coolant that is required at 30k.
    P.S. I could like this car but this is my last Toyota. Not because of the car but with the dealer. Any problems I have with the car are passed off as "It's normal" or "They all do that". Cold shift shock, jerky shifting and at 38/40 mph the car will slowly accelerate up to 80mph with no additional pressure on the gas pedal. I was wondering if anyone else has ever had this problem.
  • armada2armada2 Member Posts: 6
    I have a new 04 Solara rag top, and found that I am having a hard time reading the radios LCD readout, is there anyone else with this issue and has anyone found a way to overcome it? I wrote Toyota corp, and they thanked me for giving them this info but would not fix it, due to the fact that it was not a driving recall????
  • loucapriloucapri Member Posts: 214
    you mean your car will accelerate by itself from 40mph even you didn't press the gas pedal? Sounds like something I watched from a Halloween movie :-)

I never seen it on my 97 LE 4-cy. It has 100500mile on it and I never have any problem with my tranny at all. Only did a "drain and replace tranny filter" at 60000 mile ONCE.
  • ian721ian721 Member Posts: 93
    Are you wearing polarized sunglasses? Those will tend to obscure LCD readouts, especially Toyota's.

If my car went from 40 to 80 on its own and the dealer refused to do anything about it then my next calls would be to the NTSB and my State Attorney General's Office Division of Consumer Affairs.
  • jvermaesjvermaes Member Posts: 1
    Hey everyone, newbie here!

I've got a 2002 Camry that has been making odd noises as of late whenever I start the engine (whether it is warm or cold inside / out). As soon as I turn the key and the ignition rumbles, I hear a 'gurgling' sound for approximately 2-3 seconds (like the last bits of water gurgling out of a container with a small mouth) from the vent directly to the left side of the CD player. This noise happens regardless of if I have just had the air-conditoning on or not.

Does -anyone- have any ideas as to what may be causing this? I'm paranoid about my cars and it never use to do this, so needless to say I'm a bit worried.

Thank you for your help!!
  • armada2armada2 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks ian721! and I would have liked that to be the answer but even when I take off my glasses I can't read the LCD screen, and you are right I will be contacting Consumer Affairs.
  • ian721ian721 Member Posts: 93
    I don't know if Consumer Affairs can do anything about your LCD, that was really advice for the other guy with the transmission problems. But heck, give it a shot, it couldn't hurt.
  • xbbusterxbbuster Member Posts: 145
    I don't see myself driving this car long enough to have the trans. oil changed. As far as the car accelerating by itself if you take the car up to 38 or 40 mph and try to keep it there without any additional pressure on the gas pedal, the car will gradually accelerate. It has made it up to eighty mph before I tapped the gas pedal to make it slow down. I have taken the car to the dealer and the service dept. "greeter" and I took it for a test drive. The guy could not keep it at 40 mph without playing with the gas pedal. He finally said, "If the check engine light doesn't come on we can't fix it". Oh yes, He forgot his way back to the dealer.
  • wabashwabash Member Posts: 3
    I have a 94 Camry and am looking at a set of
    wheels on the internet that came off a 97 Camry.
    My question is, will they fit.???? I heard that
    there was some changes after 96 and can not
    varify this. Seller is not sure either...
    Any help or information would be appreciated.
  • raydahsraydahs Member Posts: 449
    It appears the bolt pattern is the same for both, see link. change the data to a 97' and it will come up with the same data.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtc/searchWheelsByVehicleAndSize.do?r- - - - - c=CASINT&yr=1994&wd=15&sw=false&rw=&vid=00690- - - - - 9&bp=
  • nboylenboyle Member Posts: 3
    I've noticed what i'd describe as a "water gurgling noise" in my 02 Camry also. I took it to the dealer for repair about 8 months ago. They said they "r/r water pump" and the noise went away. The noise came back about 3 weeks ago.

I took it to a local mechanic (not the dealer) and he spent some time looking around. He thinks it's trapped water somewhere, not the water pump. He couldn't find it, though.

I notice the noise when i accelerate or brake, make turns, etc.

What else have you noticed?
  • themoon77themoon77 Member Posts: 102
    It sounds like your A/C drain hole is clogged. It will be under the car somewhere, and a blast of compressed air up into it should solve the gurgling. I had that too, it sounded like someone was flushing the toilet when I took a hard corner. Good Luck.

Steve
  • wabashwabash Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info....will check it out...
    Dealer replaced steering rack in my 2004 Camry (4 LE) to resolve steering "clicking" on Rt turns. Didn't help. Any ideas or similar problems?
  • typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    Were CV joints checked? A worn CV joint can cause clicking when turning.
    Dealer insists CV joints are OK but like you suggest I think the same thing. He's consulting with the factory rep for further guidance. Thanks for the input!
  • peter panpeter pan Member Posts: 75
    Possible worn ball bearings in front axles.

My old 89 Camry did the same thing at 230K. Replaced the 2 axles (only $110 each part and labor after market), the ticking noise went away!
    With electronic ignition and fuel injection, the cars require very little and very simple maintenance.

I had a 89 Camry LE (250K) and 93 Camry LE (200K) and had no problem doing all preventive maintenance myself with no mechanic training and mimimum amount of tools. The cars all ran great with no problem.

1. Changing engine oil and filter and transmission fluid to owners' manual schedule is very easy. Just buy a flat oil container to store the used oil and recyle it at the part stores. Use a steel tube to lengthen the wrench handles for extra torgue to open the tough oil lugs.

2. Change front disk brake pads when the sensors start sqeaking. Toyota's OEM pads last longer on the rotors and will not make noise. I do much better brake jobs than any brake shops spending much less time not having to wait around at the shop. Anyone interested in the procedure, let me know.

3. Adjust the rear drum brake. Replacing the shoes is possible but the shoes hardly work and are rarely worn! It's much safer to buy the SE or XLE with 4 disk brakes to take full advantage of the ABS. Save a lot of time replacing pads too!

4. There is no need to service the fuel injector unit. Every 20K miles, give the car a full tank of premium gas (Shell V power with 5 detergents etc...) with 1 bottle of injector cleaner. That should keep the injectors nice and clean, and the cold start sensor and mechanism to work properly.

5. Replace the air filter to schedule to keep the fuel injector clean and fuel efficient.

6. Replace the spark plugs on schedule. Use a small rubber hose to pick up the plugs from the wells. Do not use Platinum plugs for cars specified with resistor plugs, since that will stress and overheat the ingition coil and eventually burn it out.

7. The rubber timing belt is inside the engine head. Most break at about 100K -120K miles. When they break, nothing bad happens to the engine since it's a non-interferent design (unlike Mitsubishi's design). The distributor rotor is gear to this belt and will stop turning and engine just stop running. Call a tow truck to a reliable shop for $150 replacement. It may make sense to replace the water pump at the same time.

8. Buy a lifetime aligment policy for about $200 at tire stores (firestone or Sears) to keep the wheels aligned. The car will run smoother, eat less gas and will not chew up tires.

9. I prefer Michelin's all season tires since they are proved to last longer, ride smoother, wear evenly, leak far less air through the rims therefore I dont have to check pressure too often.

10. US-built struts will probably wear out at about 100K. Replace them with Japanese gas struts and they should last a life time. Worn struts can induce instability and chew up tires which can cause extreme hazards.

11. The US-built plastic-top radiator will probably leak at about 100K miles. Check for water leaks under the car occasionally as overheating can crack the engine beyond repairs. A new radiator should cost around $200 part and labor. I replaced my own for far less by removing a few screws and hoses!

12. If the car is misfiring, there is a chance that the distributor rotor or the spark plug cables are worn. Replace them 1 at a time and check progress.

13. Once a year, take the car to the self-service washing station, wrap the distributor cap in plastic to prevent it getting wet, spray the engine with degreasing fluid and hose it down. That should keep the engine nice, clean and shiny, which would point to any oil leaks or any worn belts ect...

14. Spray some of the degreasing liquid in #13 on the rubber boots around the 2 axles and the rack and pinion assembly underneath the engine. That should keep the acids in the engine oil from cracking the rubber and letting dirt into the greased ball bearings etc... so you won't have to replace them.

15. Check engine belts every year. Replace them when there are cracks on the underside.
  • sandisandi Member Posts: 1
    This happened to me immediately after I took my Camry in for its 50,000 mile check up. I turned around and went back to the dealer where I was told that an air pocket got in the air conditioning coolant system when they flushed it. They had to lift the system out and redrain it in order to get the air pocket out. I hope this helps. The sound was exactly what you are describing.
  • mit1mit1 Member Posts: 18
    anyone hearing hiss noise thru jbl radio w/amp. camry xle yrs 4 cyl 02-05.also how is seat comfort after prolonged ownership.what is average gas mileage.
  • bd21bd21 Member Posts: 437
    I don't know what your dealer did, but you don't flush A/C systems. They are a sealed system and they are simply vacuumed out and re serviced with a machine. There is no such thing as lifting out the system. The only component the you would possibly take out and drain is the compressor, which contains some lubricating oil. And that would only be done if they were changing it or converting it from the old R-12 freon used in most pre-1992 cars to the R-134.
    What about changing the plugs on the V6? I can't fugure out how to get to the back three. My Camry is an 89 with the 2.5 liter. Are there secrets to reaching these plugs?
    Steve
    Sorry I don't know how to access the rear plugs in V6 engine.

There should be right-angle sockets that you can insert into the plugs' wells. Ask the part stores about your problem and they can recommend the right tools.
  • camrysev6ownercamrysev6owner Member Posts: 66
    I have a 03 Camry SE V6. It now has approximately 60200km on it.

Whenever I turn the steering wheel from its center position, I can feel a little vibration (perhaps a click but it's not something I can hear). It feels like something is loose.

Also, I am getting a very strange sound lately when I turn off the car after driving it. It's most noticeable when I get off the car. I could hear a noise that's similar to sticks hitting a metal bucket really hard. It sounds only once. I think I've heard that same sound inside the car when I came to a stop before, but wasn't sure. Any ideas as to what that sound is?
  • epondepond Member Posts: 13
    We have a 2002 Toyota Camry XLE with ~25,000 miles that has been trouble-free. Lately, when we first start the car and begin driving, we hear a "swooshing" or "sloshing" noise of what sounds like fluid in the steering column when we turn. Is this something to be concerned about? It has me baffled.

Thanks in advance.

epond
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    I had that same exact problem with my 03 Camry. Take it to the dealer and they will lube the steering column. That should fix the problem.
  • jrdriver8jrdriver8 Member Posts: 1
    My wife's 02 Camry LE has disc/drums with no ABS.
    The brakes are awful on this car. Thre is no mechanical problem, as I have removed all four wheel and inspected everything. The fluid is fine and I re-adjusted the rear brakes. The pedal has no feel to it at all. I went to Toyota and voiced my concern and was told they are all like that. My plan is to upgrade to Stainless Steel lines to replace the rubber hoses. I feel this may provide some additional feel to the pedal. Has anyone else noticed how poor these things stop and the lack of feel? I'll admit, I drive hard, but my Ford Ranger will outstop the Camry. Thanks
  • pitt4pitt4 Member Posts: 20
    Steve,
    If the AC drain hole was clogged, would you not see water under your car from the condensate or am I confused? Haven't posted to this group before - my wife's '02 Camry is having the same gurgling/sloshing noise others have mentioned. They said that it is most likely an air gap and the system would have to be purged. They are estimating $85. Anyone else have to pay for a car under warranty and did the purging help? The tech says it is classified as maintenance even though "only" one other car has been in the shop for this reason.
    Thanks in advance!
    Darin
  • rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    Warning: this is for experienced mechanics/technicians only. Or for very smart DIY's.
     I have a 99 camry 4cyl, 166,000 miles. Back about 5 months and 15,000 miles ago developed a clicking or tapping noise from the engine compartment. This is what the experts have said, Toyota Dealer, "not sure what it is without taking engine apart, but probably should not drive it". Local ETD shop: "sounds like a valve but not sure", could be major problem". Local Tire/Service shop: " just not sure" Pretty decisive isnt it? Does anyone have an idea on what this could be? Here are the details:
     Only hear it when accelerator is pressed, gets louder and quicker as rpms go up. Do not hear it at idle or when coasting. When first starting up in the morning,will take about one minute to hear it. Not so loud at cruising speed,(rpms lower?) Sometimes I can vary the speed of it and loudness by letting up on the accelerator while crusing. NOTE: just before the first time I heard this sound,my son drove the car and said that he bottomed the car out one day. Looked underneath, saw nothing. Again, any ideas would be appreciated.
    Hey Darin!
    From what I know, the water you see under the car while the A/C is on drips from the drain hole(actually a tube). So, if yours is clogged, you won't see the puddle. When I took my car to a local shop for the sloshing sound, they suggested blasting compressed air into the drain tube first, and sure enough, what had been backed up in there came right out. Keep in mind this shop is owned and operated by guys who are known to do spark plugs for free and oil changes for $5 if you bring the filter and oil.
        Here's what I would do. See if you can find the drain tube. On my 89 Camry, it is a clear plastic tube that hangs down just out of sight behind the front bumper(near the center-under the car of course!). If and when you find it, drive to a service station which has an air machine-25 cents to fill your tires etc--park close to it, and try blasting some of that air up into the tube. If that's your problem, hopefully the compressed air will loosen the clog. I hope this helps and saves you a little $$$!! Let me know.

Steve
    I am not a mechanic/technician. However, I had the same problem with my really old 1986 Audi 5000 before. I also bottomed out the car accidentally. From then on, I heard clicking/tapping noises like the ones you've described when I accelerated. The noises were louder when rpm was higher, and less noisy when the rpm is lower. No such sound when idling as well.

I took the car to the dealer and they said there was damage done to the catalytic converter under the car. They replaced it and the noise was gone.

Did you tell the shop mechanics that your car was bottomed out? If you hadn't already, that would probably narrow search for the problem.

Good luck.
    I have the same problem with my 04. The dealer has replaced the steering rack with no improvement, now he's replacing the right intermediate shaft (the drive shaft from the transmission to the wheel). He said thet Toyota has advised him that they're having a lot of trouble with those shafts. Hope this helps! Joe
    Glad to know I'm not the only one. Do you have the same noise when you come to a stop though? Sounds like a stick banging once on a metal bucket. I found out that the sound can be heard when the engine is on as well. Heard it when I was waiting at a McDonald's drive-thru. Once the car had been stopped, the sound could be heard 2-3 seconds later.

Keep me updated regarding the attempts made by the dealer to fix the steering problem, thanks!
  • rmlrml Member Posts: 3
    I have a 03 Solara SLE V6 that drops in 1st gear in overdrive somewhat hard(doesn't do it all the time but more times than I'd like). I had the car to the dealer and they say it is normal. The service managaer said this is normal and their relation has a Highlander (I believe) and has the same hard dropin. I tried to drive a another Camry or Solara and they didn't have any on the lot.I have been trying to get answers to this problem if it is a problem to put my mind at ease.Do all Cramrys or Solaras have this gap between 1st&2nd gear in overdrive or is this a normal situation.
This discussion has been closed.