Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Dakota Stalling and Dying Problems

1235»

Comments

• natehillnatehill Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2017
    I have a 1996 Doge Dakota. 8 cylinder, 5 speed manual. 112k miles.

Problem(s): Doesn't matter of how long it sits or where. If i drive it everyday for a week 50% of the time it will be a hard start. Meaning motor doesnt crank. just a click and lights and stuff come on.

Also it's having idling issues. similar to starting, 50% of the time when driving normally, i go to neutral out of gear (or even rev engine in neutral) the rpms decrease like normal and towards typical idling level but it continues to drop and ends up stalling out. i've experimented and even if i just push the clutch down (still in gear) and coast, then it will still stall out.

It's like if the rpms drop from above 1k it'll struggle to keep the idle. It will bounce back if i get it some gas like normal.

what i've done: Distributor cap/spark plugs replaced, new battery recently replaced. I have suspicion on starter though. I have had no engine light. I don't know what to look for regarding the idling issue.

thanks for any help,
    nate
  • Justin123Justin123 Member Posts: 1
    Getting no bus signal in5.9litre dodgedakota 2002 changed the computer and crankshaft position sensor now stalls when warm and then won't start any help would be great 
  • BMW_METRO_99BMW_METRO_99 Member Posts: 1
    RE Justin123: I have a 98 Town and Country with a similar problem that was resolved by fixing the cold soldered joints in the instrument cluster where the harness plugs in. Haven't had the problem now for 5 years. Very common Chrysler product problem.
  • JessMasJessMas Member Posts: 1
    I have an 06 Dodge Durango 2wd 4.7 L.
    It was a ting up so we changed out spark plugs. They were ridiculously bad. Put new plugs in drove it a few hours set over night. Next day it was stalling out at idle constantly. Ok so we put on scanner thtowing code for crankshaft sensor.  Change that, no go. Change camshaft sensor as well to be sure that isnt the problem. Still not fixed. Change air filter and sensor on air intake. Still no. Change the coil packs. All this time it continues to get worse. Changed spark plugs again and coil packs again. Doesnt help. Still throwing codes for crankshaft sensor even though it is new. Cleaned throttle body, replaced throttle positioning sensor and other sensor on throttle body. still stalling out. Checked fuel pressure, tested everything on this motor. No vaccum leaks, everything is testing good. Has anyone had this problem? If so how did you fix it? If not what would you do next. Also injectors work fine too.
  • Chetti2Chetti2 Member Posts: 2
    so got a 92 Dakota V8 [non-permissible content removed] amazing amazingly freaking annoying everything that you all have written I've gone through I paid $700 for it when I got it it had no mounts the transmission was turned one way the engine was turned another way work that all out it's running like a champ sometimes it does have a hesitation installing problem thought it was the plugs and wires replace those replaced everything like everything besides the the main freaking engine itself has been replaced still does it anybody could help with an idea I'd be so grateful I know this is an old thread but it's 2021 and I want to get my [non-permissible content removed] right
  • Chetti2Chetti2 Member Posts: 2
    By the way I got it with 206,000 Mi today I have 230,000 Mi and I've had it for like seven months maybe