Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• commish1commish1 Member Posts: 30
    DON'T BUY THE V6 CAMRY! YOU WILL THANK ME IN THE LONG RUN! THIS CAR IS DRIVING ME CRAZY!!
  • cam2003cam2003 Member Posts: 131
    Investor27,

What type engine do you have (4cyl or 6 cyl). If it's V6 engine which the same engine I have, I can find the details for you.
  • niki1niki1 Member Posts: 52
    Jerry,
    As far as the steering wheel vibration when you brake a high speeds, this is a problem with your rotors. You should replace them. If cash is a problem you can do this job yourself. Sorry, not sure about that washboard thing you mentioned, other than your tires/wheels are a way out of balance, or you have a very agressive tread design.

NIKI1
  • junepugjunepug Member Posts: 161
    I must speak in defense of the 2002 Camry V6 LE. We have owned ours since July of 2002 and have experienced absolutely no problems. The only time the car has been to the dealer is for tire rotation and oil changes. The car was built in Kentucky.
  • nicecar1nicecar1 Member Posts: 10
    follow up on the yesterday's visit to the dealer.
    1) engine noise (high pitch wishtle when accelerating and decelerating) is because of
    alternator (some people mentioned it is because of
    belt). I really does not feel comfortable yet
    the dealer has no intention to replace it. they
    said it is normal, because most of cars do that.
    they did not say there is noise and that is
    due to alternator. under engine noise complaints,
    they said nothing. Should I insist
    that they replace the alternator for 2002 sienna?

2) My car pull to one side. I remembered that the car pull to the right on the highway. the dealer told me the car pull to the left now (I really doubt if they checked the tire pressure.) ONe
    thing they notice is that front two tires, inner
    edge worn out a lot, yet outer edge looks normal (it worn out faster than back two tires, but not that much different). The dealer suggests that I
    change the tire, do alignment, then fix the steering wheel center problem. Is that a reasonable suggestion. Definitely I have to
    eat the bill. Not sure if tire pressure issues
    causes inner edge worn out much faster than outside edge? how do I tell if I need an alignment
    except to put it on the machine?

Generally, is the service at Toyota dealership for
    tires and alignment much more expensive than
    other independent shops?

Thank you.
  • 74357435 Member Posts: 40
    i purchased a 2004 toyota camry le sed, 4cyl with abs and side aircurtains in jan 04. nice car but there has been a rattle/squeek or something. first toyota thought it was in the dash. they spent a day taking the dash completly out. they put in foam and tape around the pins that hold the dash to body. it did not help. the noise is worse in cold weather. it now sounds like it is between the windshield glass and the car. it is driving me crazy. toyota has said they will keep trying to fix but they claim they have not heard of similar cases of this noise. can someone help me?
    phil in denver,co.
  • higginsdshigginsds Member Posts: 1
    I had my oil changed by local mechanic as usual and as usual my "MAINT REQD" light is illuminated. I normally drop by Toyota dealer to have reset. How do I reset?

I love my Camry.

Thanks.
  • bdavbdav Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 Camry 4 cyl. 60,000 miles
    Here's the problem:
    Car idles smooth in park and when driving,
    As soon as i stop for a red light and am idling
    in Drive, with my foot on the brake, the engine vibrates so badly that the whole dashboard and
    steering wheel violantly shake, If I accelerate very slightly with my foot still on the brake the vibration dissipates a lot but I don't want to raise the idle and mask the problem. As soon as the light changes and I begin to accelerate it's smooth again. It's really annoying everytime I have to stop for a light.
    Anyone have or had this problem? Anyone know the cure.
    Thank You
    Bob
  • liaisonliaison Member Posts: 49
    I have a 99 Camry with 79k and whenever I apply the brakes there is a squeek like noise that sounds as if a cable needs grease. I can be stopped at a light and apply the brakes and hear the squeeking noise. Has anyone else had the same problem and what was the solution. I also have the squeek that comes from the struts whenever I go over a bump. Had the top struts replace at 36k but squeek came back. The noise from the brakes being applied is different.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    Your owner's manual should have instructions on resetting the maint req'd light.
  • camry99camry99 Member Posts: 3
    I just had Toyota Dealer to change timing belt and drive belt in my 99 Camry. Before they changed the timing belt, they did some checking and said that the water pump also needs to be changed. After they completed timing belt, they told me that they noticed something else wrong. There was no compression in No.1 cyclinder. They said that they need to take the engine apart to fix the problem. My car was very well maintained and I have not noticed any problems (e.g. shaking) while driving so far. Can this dead cylinder cause by improper timing belt installation?
  • gunga64gunga64 Member Posts: 271
    Hi,

I noticed my oil pan on my 61,500 camry is leaking. When I brought it to the dealership at 59,000 said the leak wasnt coming from the oil pan and that the pan is still under warranty if it did. Well now that it over 60,000 it is found that it is indeed coming from there. They did not put their statement in writing and deny saying it now.

Anyway, Can I replace the gasket. It has some rubbery stuff between the gasket and the pan right now. I dont know how that got on there. It did have 13k on it when I purchased it.

Will I have to make my own gasket? Is it easy to remove the pan gasket? Toyota told my wife they charge 300.00 to replace the gasket. I replaced the gasket on my corolla is it the same thing?
    Hig,
    I just purchased a 2005 Camry, and the instructions for removing this reminder to change your oil are in the owners manual.

NIKI1
    HELP,
    I Just purchased a 4 cyl. Camry XLE, and there is a very noticeable tapping noise in the front of the engine. This noise only occurs when the vehicle is in gear. I took it to the dealership, and two of the salesman listen to this noise, and neither one of them knew anything about this noise. I know the catalytic converter is located in the front where the tapping is. Anyone else having this problem, or any idea what this tapping might be?

Thanks In Advance
    NIKI1
  • hank2hank2 Member Posts: 76
    That squeak has been a fairly common complaint, and I think it was listed in 2002 oe 2003. I don't have the reference anymore, but there was a TSB related to putting foam under the windshield to stop the temperature-related squeak. Yuo should be able to search and find it, if no-one in the group remembers.

Also, I believe that there may be a separate rattle due to the passenger side airbag, but not sure.

-Hank2
  • hank2hank2 Member Posts: 76
    Check out post #2218 around April, 2004 in Problems & Solutions :

In Rattles,
    333 of 384 canoe2 and andrelaplume by amphipri0n
    Feb 19, 2004.... Posted the following:

andrelaplume: you can download TSB.zip" target=_blank>http://www.tt-cc.com/ratko/TSB.zip open it up and the noise issues all start with the letters "nv"

-Hank2
  • loucapriloucapri Member Posts: 214
    how many miles do you have on your 99?
    I had my 97 timing belt changed a couple months ago. When I went to dealer number 1, they told me I "SHOULD" have my water pump replaced as well so the whole cost : $799 so I took my car to another dealer (BTW, they are both TOYOTA dealers) and the service manager told me by the number I should have my water pump replaced but I could wait since I never have any problem in my car. So I only have my timing belt done.

Anyway, for the no compression in No. 1. I found it hard to believe since you never have any problem with your car before. However, I don't think it is cause by the installation of your timing belt. Is it the usual toytoa dealer you go to? You might want to take it to another dealer and ask for advice.
  • amityvilleamityville Member Posts: 1
    Do you know if the engine sludge causes an engine to blow a rod? We have a 2001 camry, my wife was driving home with cruise control on and thats when it happened.
  • pantharenpantharen Member Posts: 2
    The problem doesn't lie with alignment or anything else. the Toyota Camry Solara is a piece of crap.

A friend of the family bought one a few months ago, the car is junk. the front tires are damn near bald, it pulls to one side, it randomly shifts, it hesitates when the accelerator is punched.

I kept hearing about how odd this was, and that this is a rare occurance. I have search deep into the problems of the Solara, and most of these problems span years. My website www.toyota-solara.8m.com is page after page after page of problems with the solara. So if these problems are of rare occurence, why do they span many years.

Toyota might have at one time produced a solid car, however since manufacturing was moved from Asia to the US, quality has gone straight into the toilet.

Personally I'll never buy a new car, it's just not worth the hassle.
  • w2323w2323 Member Posts: 60
    sounds like you need a tuneup. Clogged plugs etc. Perhaps timing belt
  • w2323w2323 Member Posts: 60
    When I called up Toyota and asked them about my 2001 4cyl camry. I asked them if my timing belt breaks will it do any damage. He said yes the valves will be damaged. Where did you get the info about the timing belt. I tend to agree with you, but whats with toyota?
    I got my transmission to be re programmed 4 months ago.I was back to square one after 4 months.
    The transmission was slow in response from input gas pedal. So I tried to disconnect from battery to reset ECU, after that I felt like to drive V8 engine ...
    Ideally, I would like to reset it every 2 weeks without reset radio stations, clock. Any comments/ ideas?
  • seangseang Member Posts: 1
    I have a 03 Camry SE V6 and have the same problem. How did you get yours fixed and what did it cost you?

Thanks
    Sean
  • pkeyserpkeyser Member Posts: 1
    I have an '04 Camry SE V6 with the same issue. I've nearly been killed making left turns when the hesitation occurs. I would love to remedy this.

Thanks,

Peter
  • atlpopesatlpopes Member Posts: 1
    Thank you so much! The squeak has been driving me nuts. I fixed it myself by working grease into the boot that covers the shaft as it passes through the firewall. Very easy to do from the inside of the car.
  • camry99camry99 Member Posts: 3
    The mileage was 74,000. I was told by the dealer on Monday that the entire engine was damaged after they installed the timing belt, but they did not admit that they did anything wrong. They blamed the manufacturer for a defect screw on the piston. I will wait to see how Toyota is going to handle this situation.

Thanks
  • hansen1hansen1 Member Posts: 1
    I have similar problem on 93 Camry. This is what I found on Canadian gov. vehicle safety website:

Make: TOYOTA
    Model: CAMRY
    Affected Year(s): 1994
    Units Affected: 3903
    TC Recall #: 1998133
    Manufacturer:
    Campaign Code:

Recall Details
    THE STEERING WHEEL SET NUT MAY LOOSEN AND CAUSE AN ABNORMAL STEERING VIBRATION AND LOOSENESS. IF THE OWNER CONTINUES TO OPERATE THE VEHICLE IN THIS CONDITION, THE NUT MAY EVENTUALLY COME OFF, AND THE STEERING WHEEL MAY SEPARATE FROM THE STEERING SHAFT. THIS WOULD RESULT IN LOSS OF CONTROL AND A POSSIBLE CRASH. CORRECTION: STEERING WHEEL SET NUT WILL BE TIGHTENED ON AFFECTED VEHICLES.

This is the website address:
    http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/recalls/recall_e.asp?recno=7482&
    You can check for yourself this website.I know you have 95 camry and they are talking about 94 Camry. I felt you have similar problem and I have the same on 93 camry. What a co-incident! Thought this info might help you to solve your problem. Thanks.
    Mike
  • investor27investor27 Member Posts: 59
    Hi Cam2003,

Thanks for the reply. I have the 6 cyl. I would appreciate any help or suggestion. The high pitch, squeek noise is driving my wife crazy now, and $495 later at the dealership didn't resolve the problem at all. Belt dressing will get rid of it instantly. It just needs a little tightening. Do you know how to tighten that uppermost belt? Thanks.
  • ford2005ford2005 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1988 Camry that is not switching gears. I know that the problem may be in the transmission but i don't know exactly where. Could it be the Speed Sensor, the solenoid? Help me? Most urgent!
    Investor27,

I have a document which shows how to adjust belt tension. Do you have any mail box so I can sent it to you.
  • stidhamstidham Member Posts: 1
    i would also like to know what the problem was mine did the same thing
  • tprjimtprjim Member Posts: 16
    Has anyone changed the (rear) spark plugs of a v-6 Solara engine? It appears that I need to remove the intake system to be able to pull the plugs. Any thoughts?
  • bpdougdbpdougd Member Posts: 1
    Thought I'd add my nickel's worth on Camry fuel economy. I have an '05 Camry LE with 4cyl and auto trans. I just passed 3500 mi. Those miles are mostly mixed city/hwy with one trip from Colo Springs to Austin (about 1900 mi round trip). That trip to Austin resulted in 35.6 mpg. Mileage overall is 26.5 avg. In short, I am delighted with the gas mileage for a car of this size and capability.

Calculation details: When possible I use the same pump at the same station. I keep a running total (total gal / total mi) as well as a sliding window average. Here in Colo, our 3 gas grades are 85/87/91 octane. I have been using the lowest grade (85), mostly Conoco (simply the closest station).

Anyway, I'm happy with the car. Mileage is part of it. Overall, a quality car with no serious warts.
  • klaudeklaude Member Posts: 2
    I own a 97 Camry 125000 miles, 4 cylinder automatic, the whole car is vibrating as soon i accelerate, even very smoothly ,immediatly stops when i take my feet of the gas pedal, (same feeling as an unbalanced wheel) plugs were replaced but did not help more noticeable around 30-50 mph.
    any help?
  • cottercotter Member Posts: 1
    I stumbled on your comment and I am experiencing the same suspension noise in my 03 Camry SE V6.My dealer says they all have this annoying sound and have replaced the shocks with no improvement. Apparently Toyota Canada has no fix for this very annoying noise. If anyone has a fix for this , please let us know!!!
  • taho1taho1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 XLE V6 camry. The climate control panel light seem loose (comes on and off while driving). Does anybody know an easy way to access this light without removing the whole dashboard cover?
  • slim2slim2 Member Posts: 20
    I have both the rattles you mention in my 2002 LE. Anyone know what the solution is to the passenger airbag rattle ? Shouldn't Toyota be concerned would-be buyers would associate it with defective air-bag maybe ? My thought was that it could be a loose airbag mechanism or harness wiring ?
    Please Reply. HELP!!
    Is anyone experiencing this {valve?} tapping noise when in Gear?
    I Just purchased a 4 cyl. Camry XLE, and there is a very noticeable tapping noise in the front of the engine. This noise only occurs when the vehicle is in gear. I took it to the dealership, and two of the salesman listen to this noise, and neither one of them knew anything about this noise. I know the catalytic converter is located in the front where the tapping is. Anyone else having this problem, or any idea what this tapping might be?

Thanks In Advance
    NIKI1
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    I doubt it's anything serious, but it's hard to diagnose problems over the internet!

I'd advise taking the car into the dealer for service (it's free) and have someone qualified listen for the noise, not salesmen who often don't even know about the product they're selling, let alone diagnose mechanical problems.

Hopefully, you checked on this dealer's reputation for service before your purchase.
    Thanks for the reply, but I'm asking if anyone else is experiencing this knocking/tapping noise in the engine when the vehicle is in gear. I did take it to the mechanic at the dealership, and his first response was that this knocking/tapping noise was normal, and then after a few questions from me he switched gears, and replied that, Toyota knows about the problem, but there is no fix for it yet, and that ALL of the 4 cyl. Camry's make this EMBEARASSING/ANNOYING noise. All that being said, is anyone else having this problem?
    Thanks
    NIKI1
  • investor27investor27 Member Posts: 59
    Hi Cam2003,

I would love to get a copy of that document. Where did you get it? Can you email it to me at nvestor27@yahoo.com? Thanks.
  • camrysev6ownercamrysev6owner Member Posts: 66
    Brought my car into maintenance after the Engine Check light came on. Toyota dealer said it would cost around $500 to fix an oxygen sensor aka. 02 sensor near the windshield since the 60,000km warranty period is over. The sensor regulates the amount of fuel that goes into the engine and affect fuel efficiency in the long run is left unfixed.

I decided to bring the car to a car repair shop referred by a friend. It costs $360 to repair the sensor (Toyota part).

As of now, the factor which caused the sensor to malfunction could not be identified. However, the main reason is that the sensors in this generation's Camry is not as reliable as the old ones according to the mechanic.

I was told by the Toyota adviser that one sensor malfunctioning may cause others to malfunction as well (4 in total). So if you Camry owners find that your sensors are malfunctioning, you better fix it as soon as possible!
  • happycamryhappycamry Member Posts: 48
    After we proudly pulled our just-purchased Camry LE with side airbags into the garage, I remembered that these new stock tires, the Goodyear Integrity model, were a different make than the stock tire reviewed by Consumer Reports as part of their Camry review--and not reviewed as being particularly good, at that. I looked up the Goodyear Integrity reviews at TireRack.com and one other site, expecting good things. However, this current Camry LE stock tire is universally hated with many hyproplaning complaints! Since we bought our Camry with side airbags for safety, I immediatlely traded in these tires locally and paid a $172 difference for new Kumho 716 tires. These well-priced tires are rated by literally hundreds of buyers as tops and make our new car even quieter. With the torrential Florida rains we've again had this week, we sure are happy we immediately switched to a much better rated tire. Something to consider when you budget for your new purchase, or plan for your next round of tires.
    Camrysev6,

There was a TSB about defective O2 sensor for 2003 V6 Camry. I am better to verify the specs for O2 sensor before the warranty running out.
    Here is the TSB

-----------------------------------------------

Engine Controls - MIL ON/O2 Sensor DTC's Set
    ENGINE
    EG015-03

October 28, 2003

Title
    M.I.L. "ON" DTC P0031, P0051, P2238 OR P2241

Models
    '03 Camry (V6)

Introduction

Under certain driving conditions, some 2003 model year Camry vehicles with V6 engines may exhibit a M.I.L. ON" with at least one of the following DTCs as a result of an Air Fuel (A/F) Sensor manufacturing issue.

^ P0031 (Oxygen Sensor Heater Control Circuit Low [Bank 1, Sensor 1])

^ P0051 (Oxygen Sensor Heater Control Circuit Low [Bank 2, Sensor 1])

^ P2238 (Oxygen Sensor Pumping Current Circuit Low (for A/F Sensor) [Bank 1, Sensor 1])

^ P2241 (Oxygen Sensor Pumping Current Circuit Low (for A/F Sensor) [Bank 2, Sensor 1])

Replacement of the affected Air Fuel Sensor will correct this condition.

Applicable Vehicles^ 2003 model year Camry vehicles equipped with V6 engines produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs shown below...
    Investor27,

Check your mail. I got the doc from ALLDATAdiy.
  • supernova1994supernova1994 Member Posts: 7
    Hi all,

Bought a NEW 2005 Camry LE three weeks ago. I've only clocked up 500 miles and am already having to book the car into the dealers for service. Went for a drive yesterday and noticed a lot of smoke coming from the rear brakes. Drove it today for a very short time to see if the brakes got hot and low and behold they did. No smoke, but smell of cooked brakes. Wondering whether the brakes are binding?

Really disappointed this has happened for up til now the Camry has been great. But only 500 miles on the clock and i have problems. Not happy at all.
  • tricia1tricia1 Member Posts: 1
    Over the summer...my AC on my 98 Camry stopped working...when you would use the AC...after about a minute or so...the AC light would start blinking...I have just recently had the compressor replaced...and the mechanic said that is was fixed...Later on during the day...the same problem occurred again...with the new ac compressor...does anyone have any idea what the problem might be?
  • camrysev6ownercamrysev6owner Member Posts: 66
    Is the TSB for Canada? Which VINs apply? How can I get the dealer to fix it for free even though my warranty ran out?
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    please let us know how your new tires perform. The Craptinentals Toyota outfitted my 02 with were certainly junk and I replaced them with 12K miles. The new ones were/are better but I still get way too much tire spin and they still are bordeline safe in snow. The Camry is the worst FWD car I have ever driven in rain and snow. Be carefull until you are sure of the tire performance. You likley won't be getting any snow down there so that is one less thing to worry about. (Not that I am in the snowbelt...I am in PA). Perhaps the car weighs less or has less weight up front. You do get much better gas mileage than the domestics I have had in the past as well as the fact that the Camry 4 cyl performs like the 6 cyl the Merc had before. But weigh that against spinning out and being afraid to venture to work in 2 inches of snow....
  • rkahnrkahn Member Posts: 2
    I just dealt with this--dealer "chalked" the two belts. $60 labor min. seemed to work.
This discussion has been closed.